S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Premium Petrol and E10  (Read 16636 times)

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
Re: Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2021, 06:23:53 PM »

And these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353571419297?hash=item52527fb4a1:g:UqkAAOSwBkBcHIQo

And these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383385725292?hash=item594391e96c:g:rRwAAOSwc7teKbGc

Cue an increase in garage fires and people with no eyebrows.  :log fire (someone must have a better fire smiley)

Not sure 10 gallons of petrol going up would leave you with just singed eyebrows.
I think Charles Darwin had a theory  that could be applied here.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2021, 08:55:59 PM »

You could always ...
... or fit a diesel engine  :tiphat

:RHD

UK Diesel is already up to 7% Bio ....

:tiphat
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2021, 08:58:54 PM »

Yes, but it's a different "bio"  :scientist
Who's a then ?

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2021, 09:00:29 PM »

UK Diesel is already up to 7% Bio ....

:tiphat
does this have a impact on older, 200tdi, rubber parts ???

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2021, 09:13:45 PM »

No

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2021, 11:09:06 AM »

Thinking about my 6 year old mower sent them the serial number and asked (if OT sorry) -

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting us at STIHL Customer Service. This message is in response to your request for information on the compatibility of STIHL engines with the new fuel composition in the UK.

Naturally, we understand the uncertainties and concerns that this change raises in our customers. E10 petrol will contain up to 10% renewable ethanol. This is intended to help reduce CO2 emissions, but we know that some of you may have concerns about how this will affect your petrol tools. We recommend in all of our owners’ manuals that you should only use high-quality brand-name petrol with a minimum octane rating of 90, but we can reassure you that petrol with an ethanol content of 10% or less, like the new E10 petrol will not cause a problem with your STIHL petrol tool.

However, petrol with an ethanol content of more than 10% can cause running problems in engines with a manually adjustable carburettor, so should not be used in such engines.

In some tools, it may also be necessary to readjust the carburettor to compensate for the changed composition of the fuel. We recommend that you visit a STIHL Approved Dealer for this.

However, if you still want to use standard petrol, we are happy to reassure you that the new E10 petrol is fine to use in your STIHL petrol tools.

Finally, we include a couple of links with relevant information in this regard:

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/articles/gasoline-guidelines-outdoor-power-equipment/

https://www.stihl.com/e10-gasohol-ethanolgasoline-fuel-mixture.aspx

We hope that the information provided has been useful to you. For any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

STIHL GB
Andreas Stihl Limited

Phone: +44 (0)1276 20202
www.stihl.co.uk

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »

No

....but the more "Bio" diesel in the mix, the more your vehicle will smell like a chip-shop :-)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »

....but the more "Bio" diesel in the mix, the more your vehicle will smell like a chip-shop :-)
I might like that  :essen

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »

Thinking about my 6 year old mower sent them the serial number and asked (if OT sorry) -

Well I have a Stihl brushcutter, less than 5 years old, and E5 turned the rubber fuel pickup tube into chewing gum and destroyed the carb. After I let the pickup pipe dry out, it went hard and brittle. The Stihl agent  (Four Crosses) was unable to repair the carb, and put it down to the fuel  ??? New carb and pickup pipe and run it on Esso Super (no ethanol) since and no further probs, but I empty it of fuel after finishing using it. I think a lot of contract gardeners would disagree with Stihl's response. Maybe I should have claimed off them for the repair!

https://www.mowers-online.co.uk/how-the-new-e10-petrol-will-affect-lawnmowers-and-garden-machinery

Problem is the Esso Super stuff in our area now has ethanol :shakeinghead
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2021, 12:22:40 PM »

There's some confusion here regarding "Bio Diesel".

People are using the term "Bio Diesel" for 2 different fuels.

1) The more common usage if for using used chip shop oil.
Some people process this at home, others just bung it straight in. Some mix it 50:50 with pump diesel.
If you collect waste chip oil you area s likely as not to get a waste carriers license from your local council.
Another process is to methylate the veggie oil - this makes it for all intents and purposes the same as dino diesel.

2) The second fuel called "Bio Diesel" is what the oil refineries use and blend in with dino diesel.
This is labelled B7 which means it may contain up to 7% of FAMEs - fatty acid methyl esters produced by methylating virgin veggie oil.

Be aware - there is B10 around and B20 is coming round the corner.
For this the refineries use veggie oil harvested from the fields - maize, corn oil. The oil can be converted to ethanol - see the previous posts ^^^ or methylated.
Either way you are taking away food stock  :shakeinghead
These bio diesel fuels are good BUT they have low sulphur content and that's bad for engine lubricity. So they add an additive package at the refinery to the diesel.
You can buy your own additives which also improve the cetane rating - as discussed above ^^^

There is no ethanol in bio diesel and diesel users will not experience the troubles the older petrol vehicles have.

Using premium pump diesel is not really needed - but in running the odd tank through you will notice the extra oomph due to the increase in cetane rating. Again, you have to balance the cost of premium fuel against the extra mpg gained.

:-\
Please note: It's not a good idea to run the CAV DPA fuel pumps on waste or virgin veggie oil  :shakeinghead
Even if you blend it with pump diesel. The CAV pumps can't take it and will soon seize up, they are metered for a different viscosity of fuel  :'(
The Bosch injector pumps love the stuff !

Of course there's always the one exception to the rule, who will claim they've been running on waste oil for years with no problems  :thud

:forecourt

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »

Of course in an emergency, such as being pursued by Customs & Excise in your ancient petrol lorry laden with contraband whisky, a higher alcohol content can work well enough.  :)

(Whisky Galore, by Compton Mackenzie)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »

According to the UK Govt most (96%) of the "Bio" bit in "pump" diesel is actually processed waste cooking oil rather than "new", so for that at least, its not true to say its taking away from food production ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/renewable-fuel-statistics-2021-first-provisional-report/renewable-fuel-statistics-2021-first-provisional-report

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »

That's as maybe - I was thinking on a more global scale where in the states giant ethanol plants have been build at the expenses of using corn as a base stock for flour, dextrose sugars and cooking oil.

:RHD

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »

According to the UK Govt most (96%) of the "Bio" bit in "pump" diesel is actually processed waste cooking oil rather than "new", so for that at least, its not true to say its taking away from food production ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/renewable-fuel-statistics-2021-first-provisional-report/renewable-fuel-statistics-2021-first-provisional-report

True for diesel, however only 9% of bioethanol ( for petrol )comes from waste products.

Every time you switch on the TV you are bombarded by fundraising adverts for starving people  ???. Still, I am sure what little food they are getting is probably being delivered in  shiny new eco friendly vehicles.

(sorry, my mother once said I was a "cynical ba*****" at the age of seven).

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »

Sorry to continue a bit more OT but just spotted this on Stihl's blog on E10
Of course, if you are concerned about the use of ethanol in your machines, then you can always consider our premium, patented fuel formula, MotoMix. STIHL MotoMix is completely free from ethanol and has virtually no olefins or aromatic compounds. Emission-wise, this makes it a cleaner, more environmentally-friendly choice than regular fuels, plus it lasts longer so you can store it for up to 5 years, which is handy as MotoMix is available in 200 litre drums!

So even though they say E10 will be fine in their 2 stroke engines, they are selling stuff with no ethanol in it, which apparently is also even more environmentally friendly (than what??)

£20 to £30 for 5 litres :agh

We are being treated like mugs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.