S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am looking for information about my gearbox  (Read 1020 times)

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
I am looking for information about my gearbox
« on: September 13, 2021, 03:00:35 AM »

Hi everyone.

I have a Series IIA 88 1966, with a Series III  gearbox and I would like to know more information about it.

The only thing I know is that it is synchronized and manufactured by Leyland
Your number is

S25605646A

Any information is welcome.
Thank you¡ :cheers

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: I am looking for information about my gearbox
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »

At the time "Landrover" was part of "British Leyland" so the vehicles were part of that organisation.  I'm not sure how that worked with Santana and their deal for sales in S.America ?
The "all synchro" box will be easier for drivers not used to having to double de-clutch.

The technical side - I'll leave that to the experts !

G. 

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »

That serial number with the "S" suggests to me that you have a factory refurbish gearbox.
The 256 - doesn't come up on the list of chassis/engine/gearbox numbers. And it follows the 2A sequence format.
Are you sure it is an S3 box ?
Clutch slave fixes to the bellhousing on the passenger side RHD.
There was an all synchro Series 2A box, quite rare, for SW export, but of course they could have been swapped around.
Never seen one in real life, but I understand they use the 2A type actuation with the clutch slave outside the bellhousing on the driver's side RHD.

Given your location it's quite possible someone has mixed-&-matched to make do and fitted a latter box to your vehicle.

:RHD

???
Who's a then ?

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 01:59:38 PM »

Thanks for answering..

What I know about my Land Rover (Chassis number 31801499c) is that it was from the Army, Series IIA 1966.

In that year the LR Santana still did not arrive in Chile. In Chile the Series III are 90% Santana, but the series II and IIA are Made in UK like mine.

They told me that my Land Rover at the time of finishing its service in the army, a new Series III engine and a Series III box were fitted.

The engine is also English, 8: 1 C / R and eggshell blue, unlike the Series III Santana which are red.
My engine number is S90406605F and I believe it is also a factory reconditioned unit.

I have the Series II clutch bell, with the vertical slave cylinder, (right side) and series II clutch (9 inch)

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »

At the time "Landrover" was part of "British Leyland" so the vehicles were part of that organisation.  I'm not sure how that worked with Santana and their deal for sales in S.America ?
The "all synchro" box will be easier for drivers not used to having to double de-clutch.

The technical side - I'll leave that to the experts !

G.
I know non-synchronized gearboxes well, I have driven a lot with them, it is usual. I have a 1947 Ford with a similar 3 gearbox. I am used to old vehicles.  :coffee

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »

Thanks for answering..

What I know about my Land Rover (Chassis number 31801499c) is that it was from the Army, Series IIA 1966.

In that year the LR Santana still did not arrive in Chile. In Chile the Series III are 90% Santana, but the series II and IIA are Made in UK like mine.

They told me that my Land Rover at the time of finishing its service in the army, a new Series III engine and a Series III box were fitted.

The engine is also English, 8: 1 C / R and eggshell blue, unlike the Series III Santana which are red.
My engine number is S90406605F and I believe it is also a factory reconditioned unit.

I have the Series II clutch bell, with the vertical slave cylinder, (right side) and series II clutch (9 inch)

Interesting, mine also has a full synchro S3 gearbox ( at least I'm told its a S3 unit) mated to a Series 2a bellhousing. As mine is a very late production S2a ( 30th September '71 ) I've wondered if I actually have one of these fabled all-synchro S2s, or was it done later in life by the Army or its civilian owners - one of whom switched it from Left-hand drive to Right-hand drive. ( Fairly simple on a Lwt as the chassis has holes for both RHD and LHD steering relays.

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »

These LRs have many stories to tell ...
and by looking at their numbers one can learn something of that story.

What seems strange to me is that my IIA 88 is Station Wagon, which brings more equipment, and I think it is unusual in the army.

Mine comes with visors, glass water spout, full upholstery, double roof, alpine windows, grills for vents, luxury bonnet, etc ... it is identical to the LR of the Dalai Lama

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 02:46:15 PM »

The British army did have a few Station Wagons.
Not sure they were on MoD contracts though.

:RHD

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »

These LRs have many stories to tell ...
and by looking at their numbers one can learn something of that story.

What seems strange to me is that my IIA 88 is Station Wagon, which brings more equipment, and I think it is unusual in the army.

Mine comes with visors, glass water spout, full upholstery, double roof, alpine windows, grills for vents, luxury bonnet, etc ... it is identical to the LR of the Dalai Lama

Perhaps it was for a General !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.