S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow tyres?  (Read 6408 times)

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
Snow tyres?
« on: December 11, 2020, 04:44:03 PM »

My SWB is awful in the snow. It's on very old Avon Traction Mileage 6.00x16 and I'm thinking their time is up, as the rubber is quite hard.

However, I've driven an old Willys a lot in the snow on 15" snow tires of the day, and it was pretty bad, too. So a lot may have to do with the SWB's and Jeep's weight and the way the 4x4 works.

The new AWD cars don't seem to have any trouble at all in the snow, and their snow tires are very wide, with fine little treads on sharper, but fairly small blocks, and very soft rubber. Quite different from the Avon's and the typical 4x4 tires I see in 6.00 / 16.

Does anyone think new tires would help? Or recommend a particular tire for SWB's in snow? One that looks "period"?

Retreads from Italy are available here (Ziarelli) that mimic Goodyear Wrangler, what looks like Michelin XPC, something from BF Goodrich, etc. with the "snowflake and triple-mountain" certified Mud and Snow label.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Gres

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4439
  • .:
Re: Snow tyres?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »

Descending endless mountain roads last year in a Swiss summer was quite nerve wracking enough for me,! I'd ditch the 'period' and correct size requirements for the most up to date technology.
The Discovery and other friends big 4x4s go on Vredestein Wintracs round here but our biggest issue is black ice or too many cars polishing the snow! 😬

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »

My preference is for the 'fine little treads on sharper, but fairly small blocks' of the modern design.
The 'fine little treads' are called 'sipes', at least in the UK.
As with the experiences recorded by Gres, I feel the worst case is travelling on compacted and frozen snow.
I understand that it is the sharp edges of the sipes that provide the grip.
So I'd also say 'ditch the 'period' and correct size requirements for the most up to date technology'.
Start by translating your preferred imperial sizing into metric, then start looking for tyres in that size.

Regards.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 05:58:24 PM »

I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on a work Defender some years ago and they were amazing in snow (but someone else paid for them). Think the latest ones are "R3"
Dont really look the part on an S2, but as Davidss says are latest tech and fine tread.
Alternatively, drop your tyre pressures a few pounds :whistle
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Devon2a

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6996
  • .:
  • Just Leafing and Lurking
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:04:22 PM »

Correct and proper winter tyres, I would say are a wise choice.

Even more so then say a TPSF marked AT tyre like the BFG or General. A 4x4 will get on fine in snow and ice with a traditional AT tyre but if you are going to go for a set just for winter then Something like the Verstein wintrac or Nokian Hakkapalitia with lots of Sipes and a low temperature compound that will mean a safer journey. You might not get a true 205/80R16 size and you might have to compromise with a close van size like 215/75R16
Dirt Sprung Leaf Technique

Owner of

Jemima 1971 SIIA SWB Searle Safari
??????? 2014 110 USW

Can be found in YT, FB and Insta @4WDSouthWest

Manxcat

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 4228
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »

Real snow & ice tyres are made from a rubber that has different characteristics from the rubber used in tyres for ordinary temperatures.

Back when I was rallying; Fred, of the now defunct Colway Tyres used to look at the long range weather forecast to choose the compound for the tyres he remoulded for the RAC & the Snowman. He told all his supported Drivers to wait to the last couple of days before getting the tyres from him.
The tyres used the same moulds as the tyres many other people had - so same tread pattern -just different rubber compound.
On compacted snow I was catching  and passing cars that had set off into the stage three cars ahead of us in a 10 mile stage.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »

Much wisdom and experience here, thanks!

Yes it's the packed snow/ice that's the issue. A surface you can hardly stand on without slipping!

Hah, at this point, I think the Avons wouldn't even change shape if I let the air completely out! Pretty solid. Even though special tires have special rubber, a traditional mud/snow AT might be a huge improvement on what I have.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune and really don't want to change the appearance so much. But to keep using it for these trips, I'll have to compromise.

I've found a big selection of sipe-equipped winter tires in 205/80R16 on an online site that I've used before. They all have a squareish cross-section with a wide footprint, like the Hakkapelitta I looked up. The specific models you mentioned aren't on the website, but other brand-names are. I'd have to do the goooogle work to find out about their rubber compounds.

The Michelin XPC copy I mentioned has sipes and the "mud/snow" label, but I suppose as an AT it may not have the soft rubber needed.

Modern snow chains would be an option, too, to keep an AT "look" in 6.00R16 and still have a useful winter car.

Jeremy

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »

I became a big believer in proper Winter tyres some years ago when I had an electric van (Berlingo-E).

The motor drove the front wheels, and as it was emerging technology at the time (1999>) the control system wasn't as sophisticated as the latest electric vehicles. On regeneration, when the accelerator was lifted, there was so much deceleration that you rarely had to use the brakes to slow down. The problem was, on ice/snow or generally very slippery surfaces, the front wheels would slide instead of rolling, causing some very hairy moments   :agh

Changed to winter tyres and it was a lot better - gripping almost all the time, though still had to be careful on ice or packed snow.

Since then I've had two sets of wheels/tyres for our Euroboxes as well, and generally swap them when the average temp is 7C or below and back again in spring when it starts warming up again.

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »

I got a set of snow chains recently, although clearance to the body is an issue on 900x16s.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »

Don't forget that you aren't allowed to use snow chains on cleared roads in the UK   :whistle

I can't think of any journeys I've made in the last 20 years in snow which haven't been a mix of cleared and uncleared roads - a bit of a pain to keep on taking them off and putting them back on   :neener

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »

When I was in Germany during the winter snow & ice  I noticed all the big wide tyred Mercedes, BMW's , Audi s etc had narrower winter tyres than standard , so I wouldn't go for the widest possible . This is borne out with rally cars run much narrower tyres on snow & ice. 

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 06:53:30 PM »

Don't forget that you aren't allowed to use snow chains on cleared roads in the UK   :whistle

I can't think of any journeys I've made in the last 20 years in snow which haven't been a mix of cleared and uncleared roads - a bit of a pain to keep on taking them off and putting them back on   :neener

Yeah I'm aware of the rules. They are more for a future project gestating in my mind but might be fun on seb considering they fit.

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 07:38:17 PM »

Real snow & ice tyres are made from a rubber that has different characteristics from the rubber used in tyres for ordinary temperatures.

True,  and in this country not many are imported/sold in old fashioned landrover sizes.

In this country you can get any gods amount of M&S [commonly called mud and snow] tread versions in the common 4x4 sizes from most tyre manufacturers and they will be sold as "winter" tyres, but does anyone actually make/import a specific winter compound tyre for older landrovers in the UK ??? I know you can get them for more modern 4x4's with larger wheel rim sizes than the old fashioned 16" [or 15" for some other makes].

It is doubtful they will ever do so in any large [cheap] amount either as our size tyres' become more and more a niche market and less common.

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 07:01:47 AM »

I put proper winter tyres on msrustylandrovers Toyota, they're ace in snow! If the mighty Yaris can't find traction, the road is proabably going to be blocked by some numpty with summer tyres on anyway.

I've never had proper winters on a land rover, but anything with lots of small knobbles and sipes will be half decent. Of tyres I've experienced, Michelin Latitude and Pirelli Scorpion both work well in snow. If it looks like it would be good in mud, I assume it'll be rubbish on hard pack snow. I run Michelin XZL and theyre great in mud, terrible on hard pack snow.

If all else fails, crack out the tractioniser*!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bnYgI30ZQ

*not really, unless you're following Manxcat down a rally stage and don't mind your tyres lasting 5 minutes.

pictures, and words
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 17 queries.