S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my chassis actually a Series 3 ?  (Read 3264 times)

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
Re: Is my chassis actually a Series 3 ?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »

Yes when I say early 88" SW I meant more S2 rather than 2a. In fsxt it might only have been a S2 thing.

The braces were probably added to the design one day at chassis manufacture, but quite how this tallied with vehicle build date and production order is anyone's guess.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »

Yup, agree. The factory would use the chassis up in stock first and maybe the 109" line moved slower than the 88" line and the 109" station wagon line probably moved slower than any of them.
Wonder if the two different length chassis were made in different places as well? Not sure how automated the production line was in the 60's. Often wondered if the chassis frames were hand welded or some kind of early robotic welding?

Craig.

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 12:25:05 PM »

All through Land Rover production production was 500 per week or so - sometimes much more.  This means that when it was time to start a new vehicle they didn't go looking in dusty corners to find old bits - but that supply would have been a well-organised operation.

I think SWB chassis were hand welded - somewhere I'm sure there's a description.  I'm sure it was good old arc welding - occasionally I've come across slag and often I've seen feint lines running across the top of the chassis where presumably an arc has been struck before rapidly being moved to the chassis corner for welding.

At or about the time of the S3 introduction the LWB chassis was changed to the 2 presssed channels with the overlapped join top and bottom - carefully designed to corrode just like its 4 plate predecessor.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 05:29:23 PM »

Number plate on the left is a sign of a post 1978 tub (UK spec).

It was originally on the right with a cut out around the hinge. But when I took possession it had a swing away wheel carrier fitted so the numberplate had been relocated.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 05:49:29 PM »

All through Land Rover production production was 500 per week or so - sometimes much more.  This means that when it was time to start a new vehicle they didn't go looking in dusty corners to find old bits - but that supply would have been a well-organised operation.

I think SWB chassis were hand welded - somewhere I'm sure there's a description.  I'm sure it was good old arc welding - occasionally I've come across slag and often I've seen feint lines running across the top of the chassis where presumably an arc has been struck before rapidly being moved to the chassis corner for welding.

At or about the time of the S3 introduction the LWB chassis was changed to the 2 presssed channels with the overlapped join top and bottom - carefully de4signed to corrode just like its 4 plate predecessor.

Series III 109" chassis didn't change to C section until about 1974, the construction method continuing into 90 and 110.

Lwb II and IIA chassis were hand made on jigs just like a swb chassis.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.