S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection  (Read 3063 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection
« on: April 16, 2023, 06:40:38 PM »

I’ve volunteered to rebuild the Club’s “cutaway” 2.25 petrol engine. As you can see, it’s currently a box of bits having been stripped down some time ago. It needs to be resurrected and to be made looking good for any events or shows that we feel might benefit from its presence. I thought I’d start a thread on here covering progress.

There is a factory reconditioning plate on the block, and no stamped engine number so assume LR ground it off when it was send for reconditioning. It looks like an early engine – deep thermostat housing, split rocker shaft and so on. The part number on the reconditioning plate is 524139. A bit of digging in old parts books showed nothing. I found a September 1960 Service Newsletter stating this number for reconditioned engines. I assume that this suggests that this engine is one of the very early 2.25 engines for Series 2 vehicles. If anybody knows anything about the history of this particular engine or thinks differently as to what it is, please let me know.

I may be on the scrounge for any parts that we are missing, so be prepared for some begging for club favours over the next few months. Immediate needs seem to be:
•   A water pump – early type p/n 501041. If anybody has a worn out early pump that might be prepared to donate rather than have reconditioned, please let me know.
•   A set of spark plugs – obviously we can go new and cheap, but if anybody has an old set of something like original Lodge plugs or early Champion plugs, that would be great.
•   Some collets
•   A set of big end shells (standard)
•   A set of main bearing shells (standard)
I want to use standard so that the engine can be made to turn freely if possible. A worn-out set is fine – I can mix and match with what I have.

I have a full Britpart gasket set which will cover most of the top and bottom although I think I’ll fit a copper head gasket as its more in keeping with the period. I reckon I have at least one spirited away. I’ll need the right water pump gasket or I’ll make one.

I would welcome opinions on what colours we should be painting this. Currently the head and front cover are painted in what Paintman refer to as 2/2A Engine Blue. I’m not sure how correct that is. The inside of the block looks like it has a more white / cream colour. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what colour it should be and if the current choice is correct? If its going to be a showpiece again, I feel we ought to get it as accurate as possible.

All the cut lines will be detailed in red gloss so its obvious what should be there and what should not. The sump and any brackets will be black gloss. The rocker cover, flywheel housing and inlet manifold will be bare aluminium (although possibly lacquered so they don’t corrode). Unfortunately somebody has painted the carburettor and the top is dented, which makes it look a bit rubbish. I think I’ll dig out one of my spare casings and try and rebuild it into another casing so it looks more original.

Lots will need doing – castings, valves, pistons and so on will need polishing. I want it to look like it did when it was built originally. I know that these presentation engines and gearboxes are phenomenally expensive which reflects the time and effort that goes into creating it in the beginning. If anybody wants to help cleaning, polishing any components, let me know. Every bit helps.

We are really lucky to have this in the Club, so its worth every effort to resurrect it.

I’ve set myself a target of the end of September to complete this, but rather than sit through one more night of Britain’s Got Talent, I may complete it much sooner…

1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

LandCasco

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7798
  • .:
Re: S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 07:38:52 PM »

Nice proyect. I can help form here :p
How they cut the block?
Paul
Series 3 1977

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:02:04 PM »

On behalf of club members thanks for taking this on Mark.  I dont have any spare petrol engine parts so I cant help in that direction but I can encourage and spread the word.  The whit/cream inside appears to be standard land rover, our spreadbore engines are the same

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Mycroft

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 08:07:41 PM »

Great project and undertaking  :tiphat

If you need a spare pair of hands at any stage, I'm more than happy to cross the country line.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 08:24:54 PM »

On behalf of club members thanks for taking this on Mark.

^^^^ ditto.  :first :tiphat

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 08:37:25 PM »

A nice project, much better than watching britains got talent anyway!

Will be good to see it out and about again.
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!

JonB

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7143
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 08:53:56 PM »

Mark, I can help with a carb top and an early thermostat housing if it’s needed. I’ve also got a swan neck manifold in a poorly way it you wanted to cut it up and fit a bit of it?

Jon

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 09:01:12 PM »

My 151 engine has cream inside and is ferguson tractor grey

I have a horrible feeling I binned all the bearings when I rebuilt it but, I am a cornishman living in yorkshire
We have taught these yorkshire folk a thing or two about tightness so I might have them still
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Phil2014

• Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4721
  • .:
  • Borders area rep
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 09:06:33 PM »

I think I’ve got some old spark plugs and some bearings, not sure what size they are though.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 09:47:36 PM »

Mark, I can help with a carb top and an early thermostat housing if it’s needed. I’ve also got a swan neck manifold in a poorly way it you wanted to cut it up and fit a bit of it?

Jon

That would be great Jon as the existing exhaust manifold is cracked along one section, so it would be worth a try trying to do something with a swan neck. Carb top I'm pretty sure I'm OK for as I have a box of Solex carb parts. Thermostat housing - yes please - its got a standard one at the moment. There is no rush or panic for this and I may be heading your way soonish to visit family in N. Devon.

Thank you!

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 09:52:04 PM »

My 151 engine has cream inside and is ferguson tractor grey

I have a horrible feeling I binned all the bearings when I rebuilt it but, I am a cornishman living in yorkshire
We have taught these yorkshire folk a thing or two about tightness so I might have them still

Thanks Alex,
I'm keen to bottom the colour out. I assume the inside and exterior would have been the same colour??? If so, what is that white / cream or is it just that colour thanks to years of oil contamination?

Unfortunately my James Taylor book is in storage so can't check!

Re the bearings - I'll go back and check exactly what I have here. I reckoned I was missing 2 or 3 halves of mains and one or two big ends. I can't see any thrust washers either. Let me get my facts right then I'll post!

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 09:54:10 PM »

I think I’ve got some old spark plugs and some bearings, not sure what size they are though.

Thanks Phil,
As and when you remember /  see them, can you let me know what you have? A set of plugs I can polish up would be great!

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 11:12:11 PM »

I can probably come up with a set of Lodge CLNH spark plugs if needed.  As an apprentice at the Austin Motor Company back in 1965 we used to make up the display engines for the Motor shows & dealers. Lucas  supplied the electrical items already sectioned & plated, ready to go .  524139 is a rebuilt engine, 1958-61 LR petrol engine  ref LR Service Newsletter Vol 2  No. 26  Dated Nov 1967. Cost £68 -0- 0
 Derek

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 11:30:25 PM »

Regarding the block internal colour.  I dont know what Rover specified, but  at BMC the internal block surfaces were painted with special oil resistant sticky paint that would trap any sand from the casting process that may be still floating around even after rigorous cleaning to make sure it didnt get into the oilways . Beans Foundry at Tipton were making block casting for Rover in the late 1960's , I  watched them being made , but cannot remember the painting process or colours

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 11:59:43 PM »

Hi Diffwhine

My 69 6 banger was light grey on the outside and cream on the inside.
I have also seen rover engine blocks painted red on the inside. I have seen differentials painted red on the inside as well.

Victor
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.