S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection  (Read 3064 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2023, 08:16:58 AM »

This all makes sense now.
A special internal paint would appear to be correct. I know the infamous red paint was very common in later years. This just leaves the outer colour of the block and the front cover.

What therefore is the general consensus on block colour? Would it be what Paintman refer to as 2 / 2A engine paint, which is what the head and front cover is painted now, or would it have been an earlier colour?

Also - would the front cover have been painted black or block colour?

Bear in mind this is a display engine. It is an early one, so I'd like to get it right if at all possible! If not, I will get hung out to dry every time we drag it out on display and it will be all my fault. If decision can be by general consensus, I'd be happier.

I might even put it to the vote!  :bright-idea :tiphat

Autorover1 - if you do have four Lodge plugs you would be prepared to loan / donate to the cause, I'd be very grateful. I don't actually mind polishing up old ones if need be. All that said, am I being too specific asking for Lodge plugs, or would we have been using Champion more likley by then?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2023, 08:24:00 AM »

It may well be the earlier grey colour for the engine.
My series one engine is cream inside, presumably applied at the foundry then the outside is the grey colour.
This looks about right
https://paintman.co.uk/shop/land-rover-engine-grey-2-litre-petrol-series-1/

But I got mine from the series one club shop and it is made by Craftmaster paints which I can't post a link too as the website is down. It was a small tin though, plenty for three coats on everything and it wasn't that expensive.

I would do all the cast steel bits in the same colour, timing cover and thermostat housing as well.

Craig.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 08:29:17 AM »

Thanks Craig,
I'm inclined to agree. I may well have some S1 paint left over.

Water pump (when ! find one) - Black? What do people reckon?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 08:38:34 AM »

I would have said the same grey myself. No paint left on my series one pump though so can't check that for you.

Craig.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 08:43:22 AM »

Thanks Craig.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 08:55:25 AM »

Autorover1 - if you do have four Lodge plugs you would be prepared to loan / donate to the cause, I'd be very grateful. I don't actually mind polishing up old ones if need be. All that said, am I being too specific asking for Lodge plugs, or would we have been using Champion more likley by then?
I believe the contemporary Rover publications refer to Lodge plugs . The Military User Handbook 1959 states Lodge CLNH and  the Land Rover Owners Manual 4482 1962 states Lodge CLNH.
I will forward 4 off new ones to you.   
NB Is there a original display Rover engine of some sort  at Gaydon that could supply detail  ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »

Fantastic. Thank you! The river counting pedant in me is working over time on this one. If you can spare some Lodge plugs, I'd be really grateful. As I said - I don't mind cleaning up and polishing an old set if need be.

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »

Hi Mark,
A great undertaking - thanks for taking this on.
Regarding colour, i'm fairly sure the James Taylor book states the early engines as being admiralty grey, and this is what colour I have painted my 1959 and 1960 engines. I'll check the JT book later to see what he has written, but Im fairly sure on the above as I painted my engines based on that book.

I may have a few internal parts still from a scrapped 1960 engine. I can picture the box it all went in - the only question is if I still have it or not. Ill take a look tonight and let you know if I still have any of it, and what there is.

Thanks
Tom

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2023, 11:22:08 AM »

A few years back the Series 1 Club had a cut-away engine on display at their show stands.
It was internally lit and had an electric motor to turn it over. This was operated by remote control.
So you'd walk up to the engine for a better look and some cove in the tent would switch it all on - quite a feature  :first

Our previous Kent Rep did a cut-away gearbox. This got taken to many shows and it was very instructive to see inside the box as to what gear selection worked which gears  :first

:RHD
Who's a then ?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »

Hi Mark,
A great undertaking - thanks for taking this on.
Regarding colour, i'm fairly sure the James Taylor book states the early engines as being admiralty grey, and this is what colour I have painted my 1959 and 1960 engines. I'll check the JT book later to see what he has written, but Im fairly sure on the above as I painted my engines based on that book.

I may have a few internal parts still from a scrapped 1960 engine. I can picture the box it all went in - the only question is if I still have it or not. Ill take a look tonight and let you know if I still have any of it, and what there is.

Thanks
Tom

Thanks Tom. That seems to run with what Craig suggested, so I'll go for that. I note Paintman shows a different grey for the diesel to the petrol for the 2.0L diesel and petrol Series 1 engines. I assume we are talking about the petrol version or are we actually in the realms of 2.0 diesel colours here.

Any bits you can find - gratefully appreciated, but I'm pretty sure we have most parts now apart from the water pump.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 11:37:39 AM »

A few years back the Series 1 Club had a cut-away engine on display at their show stands.
It was internally lit and had an electric motor to turn it over. This was operated by remote control.
So you'd walk up to the engine for a better look and some cove in the tent would switch it all on - quite a feature  :first

Our previous Kent Rep did a cut-away gearbox. This got taken to many shows and it was very instructive to see inside the box as to what gear selection worked which gears  :first

:RHD

I want to make sure that this engine does rotate, although for H&S reasons, I'd be happier of it was just by hand rather than powered. For the same reasons, I'm wonderin if we should fit a locking pin somehow into the flywheel, so it cannot be rotated when on display unattended. A disected piston going up and down in an open bore is a lethal trap - especially for small fingers.

I'll think about lighting - got to be possible using something from a model railway set or similar.

Marky Harvey

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5710
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 11:37:59 AM »

I might have a water pump

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 11:43:57 AM »

You had a water pump... You just didn't see me rob it off your LR on Saturday!   :bright-idea

Its an early one - if you do have one, let me know.

Many thanks!

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 12:02:45 PM »

Craig,
Is this the colour you mean?
https://www.lrsoc.com/web/product/lr0025-engine-paint-grey-later-2-litre-engines/

Paintman also offer this one which they say was used on diesel engines up to 1960...
https://paintman.co.uk/shop/engine-grey-series-land-rovers-2-litre-diesel-engine/

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2023, 12:09:59 PM »

Yup, that is the paint I have used on my 1955 engine LRS-1. It is a grey with a hint of blue in it.

Didn't know there was a different colour for the early 2 litre Diesels though. As they are a very close relation to the 2286 engines, I wonder if they carried on with the Diesel grey colour when they made the petrol version?

Craig.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.