S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radios  (Read 1349 times)

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Radios
« on: May 23, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »

Hello everyone -

I've been asked to do research for an article dealing with the optional radios offered for Land Rovers starting in 1960.  This includes the speakers and antenna.

I'm having trouble finding info on the two brands I'm aware of - Pye in the UK and Le Chaperon portable in North America.  Have found nothing on the speakers at all, other than mounting locations, same in regard to the antenna.

Anyone know of some sources you could point me to?  I've found scant info on them in re Land Rover so far.

I'm also looking trying to find pictures of these installed in the Rovers; any of you have them in your rigs, or have pics?

Thanks!
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Radios
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »

There should be a fair bit of stuff on Pye, they were a well known brand back in the day. I recall using Pye "Westminster" radios mounted in our Lightweight landrovers, in a "Home Defence" role, that would have been the late 70s.....they were more often seen in Taxis ! Japanese price competition is cited as the reason for their decline, now part of Phillips, so Dutch.

A fair bit in the wiki..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pye_Ltd.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 06:57:59 PM »

There should be a fair bit of stuff on Pye, they were a well known brand back in the day. I recall using Pye "Westminster" radios mounted in our Lightweight landrovers, in a "Home Defence" role, that would have been the late 70s.....they were more often seen in Taxis ! Japanese price competition is cited as the reason for their decline, now part of Phillips, so Dutch.

A fair bit in the wiki..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pye_Ltd.

Thanks... have that info.  Mainly trying to find Land Rover specific info, such as sales brochures, part numbers, maintenance/work bulletins and such. 

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 07:03:34 PM »

Forgot to mention... Pye Radio Ltd. Is mentioned in the acknowledgment section of the 'First Overland: London to Singapore by Land Rover' book by Tim Slessor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.