S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extra Side Lights  (Read 1620 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Extra Side Lights
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »

On a pre headlights in the wings series is it legal to have a side light in the wings AND a side light in the headlamps as BMC mini headlights and others, I ask as this might increace visability for others and if LED bulbs were used have little battery drain - less than standard set up

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
Re: Extra Side Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »

Can't see that being an issue at all, you can drive all day with the lights on if you wish so a lower wattage bulb in there should be fine.

If they are LED why not turn them into daytime running lights?

Craig.

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »

I have had Lucas L516 sidelights on top of the wings since I fitted Series 3 /Defender mirrors and had two holes to fill previously occupied by the wing top mirrors.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:17:04 AM »

If they are LED why not turn them into daytime running lights?

Hi,

That's what I did with The Aunt ... although the wiring within the head-lamp bowl was fiddly out of all proportion (probably just one of my off-days), so use very thin wire for the pilot bulb.

Study the rules relating to lamp locations (distance from side of vehicle, and height above ground, etc). I doubt that teeny bulbs in the in-board head lamps would be considered "marker" lamps, but should be OK if they are ignition controlled. There is something in my memory banks about front marker lamps being behind "frosted" glass. Older readers may remember "frosted" patches on head-lamp glass? But it doesn't seem to apply nowadays.

Ponder on our Continental cousins going all Jobsworth, though I'm not saying it's likely.

PS. I briefly considered mounting a pair of spot lamps on the front bumper, but fitted with right-dipping sealed beam reflectors, and a change-over switch ... but then we sold our place in France.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »

PS. I briefly considered mounting a pair of spot lamps on the front bumper, but fitted with right-dipping sealed beam reflectors, and a change-over switch ... but then we sold our place in France.

Wouldn't a pair of vertical dip lamps a la motorbike have been the easiest fit back in the day?

(Nowadays, just leave the masking tape on the halogen units....)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »

On a pre headlights in the wings series is it legal to have a side light in the wings AND a side light in the headlamps as BMC mini headlights and others.

I don't see why not ... cars these days seem to be lit up like Christmas trees, not forgetting the front fog lights  :shakeinghead
I can't see anyone getting squiffy if you do this...

As for continental driving all you need is:-

So simple, so cheap - takes 30 seconds to fit while you wait to board the ferry.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »

As for continental driving all you need is:-

Hi Alan,

On our lastest ever trip back from our place in France (think Evran/Dinan) we set off just before midnight, heading for the Tunnel, about 300 miles of unlit roads ... and empty ... until we met a well spread convoy, that we assume had recently disembarked from yesterday's ferry.

They obviously thought that our close together headlamps were a pair of spot-lamps (despite being masked). Every single truck gave us a display of their multiple "night suns" mounted across their cab roofs. I suppose them "not having fathers" had something to do with it?

I had plans to fit a pair of traditional style headlamps (like spot lamps, only bigger, and dippable) on the bumper, and far enough apart not to confuse Monsieur Yorkie. ON-OFF-ON switch to control which pair of lamps I wanted to use.

In the event, we sold the cottage instead.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.