S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who makes seats ?  (Read 3749 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Re: Who makes seats ?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 08:12:51 AM »

My modification, late S3 or early ninety/one ten. Seats were originally covered with cloth but I retrimmed with black vinyl.  As for the seating, you are about 2" higher, but as the seats can be further back, even in an 88", you will have more room.

Having looked in detail at the picture, have you removed the bulkhead behind the seats level with the seat box and fitted a bar to hold the spare wheel ???
How far back is that spare wheel bar from the original bulkhead position?
Just a thought but would fitting the seat lower, and not higher give more steering wheel clearance?
It all look very neat

Simeon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3480
  • .:
  • Faster than the speed of dark
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »

Hi, no - nothing removed or modified, with the exception of 1 Terry clip for the starting handle.

The seats are pushed right back to meet the bulkhead, I will take some more photos.

Simeon.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 08:40:53 AM »

Early S1s had their very thin seat backs fastened to the bulkhead, very very early S1s (first few hundred or so didnt have a seat back at all just a very small badded block fasttened to the top of the capping.

Remove all the terry clips, take the backrest off its hinge and fasten it to the bulkhead and you would gain a couple of inches at the bottom of the backrest (as long as the fuel filler pipe doesnt get in the way.

I have made my driving position more comfortable (I have long legs) by following the advice in the green bible and have lifted the front of the seat base.  I have done mine differently to how it is described in the book and the fron of my base is 2" higher.  I have had to alter the accelerator pedal to get the angle right but it works for me.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Simeon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 10:01:51 AM »

Fitted standard,  it just clears the back of the seat base.  The seat padding, as said by Peter, tips the seat up at the front and the back is a good 2-3" further back than original placement.  The back is more sculpted than a standard seat, and is made with a more rigid foam than a Series seat, well it is more so than a Britpart one.

Photos for your enjoyment  :flasher

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »

I am told Smart car seats fit.

I just rebuilt mine from the base up with new foam and my wife made and fitted the covers.

Peter

Smart car and Mazda MX5 seats are a fairly common replacement choice for MG Midgets so if one fits it's not surprising the other does too. That may also mean that the seats from a Midget would fit.

Alec

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »

Fitted standard,  it just clears the back of the seat base.  The seat padding, as said by Peter, tips the seat up at the front and the back is a good 2-3" further back than original placement.  The back is more sculpted than a standard seat, and is made with a more rigid foam than a Series seat, well it is more so than a Britpart one.

Photos for your enjoyment  :flasher
Yesterday I tried the 90 seats with the backs against the bulkhead but I found to feel right I had to have the base a little more forward than your example but I had not lifted the fromt up as much as yours but fear it might reduce the recline angle and move the legs up to the steering wheel :stars
Cutting out the rear bulkhead is a option I have thought about but it seems a extreme plan which is hard to replace.
For me (and my build) perhaps thinner seat backs and bases might be best but Mazda/Smart seats in good condition seem hard to find at fair prices as they are also sought by the MG people

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 12:01:01 PM »

Perhaps a OT thought but could a pair of slim chairs like these with the bases and arms removed be a low cost answer
auction: #203025282125

Ikea have a big range of such chairs, for fair prices even when new, but perhaps to far OT for some :-[

Simeon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »

I'm 6'0" tall, and would find any thing higher than these seats too high for me, a defender has another couple of inches of windscreen not available in a Series.

For me they are the lowest seat base, plus they have removable seat bases which is preferable for me.

Other than these as direct bolt in replacements, I can't find a anything.

Later defender seats can be used,  bearing in mind they either need a hole to be drilled or a bracket made up.

Simeon.

phileas fogg

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5275
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »

Good morning,

I have often considered replacing the seats in my 2A 109 SW. After a good fifty mikes or so, the seat foam compresses and I end up sitting on the board. Also, the low seat back often has me wondering what’ll happen if someone should ever run into the back of me.

Anyway, the real question in my mind relates to the crossmember between the B pillars that supports the seat backs. Is this purely for the seats or does it also provide structural rigidity for the body?

Thanks
Mike
If a vehicle built in the 60'#039s was designed to work on farms and explore remote place on distant continents, then it will be just as good at the job today ... and probably more reliably than a modern jelly mould stuffed with electronics

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »

Yes structural rigidity
but you can replace this with a bar a little further back giving the space you need

like this auction: #253336213886

phileas fogg

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5275
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »

Yes structural rigidity
but you can replace this with a bar a little further back giving the space you need

I was pretty sure that was the case. Thanks for the link.

twomokes

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 13
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »

Yes structural rigidity

I not sure that it is. The One Ten I had (built in 1983) didn't have a bar and the S2 station wagon a friend and I built and fitted Defender seats didn't have one and neither vehicle had any structural issues as a result.
Res tam malae sunt quam putas, et inimici re vera te persequuntur

"quotEducatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis"quot

Member No13
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.