S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/4 balls inside gearbox series III  (Read 622 times)

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
1/4 balls inside gearbox series III
« on: November 25, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »

Hello everyone.
To the most experienced in gearboxes..
To eliminate an oil leak, remove the bell housing from a Series III Santana gearbox,
As you remove the cap and move the subshaft a bit, notice two 1/4-inch balls inside the case.
Can someone tell me where they can be from?

• Master of the oils
Re: 1/4 balls inside gearbox series III
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »

gear selector detent ?

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 02:04:57 PM »

gear selector detent ?

It was my first thought, but the selector balls are 3/8 inch (larger).
I also checked them and they are ok in their place..

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 02:11:53 PM »

Synchro  ???

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 02:18:36 PM »

I thought about it too, but my logic says they can't get out of the pinion without disassembling the input shaft, and I haven't disassembled the input shaft.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a house move and most of my manuals are in storage.

Do you mean a proper Santana box as opposed to what we regard as the normal LT76 4 speed box over here? If so, we just don't see enough here (if any!) to be able to probably offer a good opinion.

The Santana box uses taper bearings where we would expect to see roller bearings, so the preload of the casing is critical.

I think I'd be wanting to check every bearing for completeness in case one has started misbehaving.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 07:52:46 PM »

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a house move and most of my manuals are in storage.

Do you mean a proper Santana box as opposed to what we regard as the normal LT76 4 speed box over here? If so, we just don't see enough here (if any!) to be able to probably offer a good opinion.

The Santana box uses taper bearings where we would expect to see roller bearings, so the preload of the casing is critical.

I think I'd be wanting to check every bearing for completeness in case one has started misbehaving.
Gracias "Diffwhine"¡
Creo que esencialmente es una caja series III, creo que casi no hay diferencia con la caja inglesa..
La caja la abri para curar una fuga, pero basicamente funcionaba bien, se le hizo servicio hace muy poco tiempo (no fui yo)
No veo mucha mas alternativa que desarmarla completa para revisar... es muy extraño estas dos bolas de 1/4 de pulgadas dentro...
Nunca he desarmado una caja, Aprendere con esta... Tengo manuales y los buenos videos de "CROKER vs Rover"
Recuerden, que Land Rover hace mecanicos desde 1948...     ??? :-\

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 09:35:16 PM »

That's good, because the Santana box is a bit more complicated!

If you think about it, you have the following potential suspects:

Primary pinion / first motion shaft bearing
Layshaft bearing front
Mainshaft centre carrier bearing.

That's all you have as possible suspects. The detent balls as you say are larger, but under normal circumstances, there is no way that they can actually get into the box.

In the main gearbox, those are the only bearings I can think of which have ball bearings of that sort of size in the races. The other bearings are needle roller bearings (layshaft rear and the mainshaft rear carrier bearing). The last one doesn't count as it's in the transfer box unless you have an overdrive fitted.

You can see the condition of the primary pinion bearing and the front layshaft bearing by taking the front cover off inside the bell housing. It is most likely that your problem will be the front layshaft bearing. If the bolt retaining the front of the layshaft in place against the bearing has come loose, that can quite often casue too much shaft movement and bearing break up. You also need to consider the rear layshaft bearing as well as it will have been "hammered" in these circumstances.

Let us know how you get on!

Lets see how that looks after going through Deepl...

Eso es bueno, porque la caja de Santana es un poco más complicada.

Si lo piensas, tienes los siguientes sospechosos potenciales

Piñón primario / cojinete del eje de primer movimiento
Cojinete delantero del eje de transmisión
Cojinete del eje de transmisión central.

Eso es todo lo que tienes como posibles sospechosos. Las bolas de retención, como dices, son más grandes, pero en circunstancias normales, no hay forma de que entren en la caja.

En la caja de cambios principal, esos son los únicos rodamientos que se me ocurren que tienen bolas de ese tamaño en las pistas. Los otros rodamientos son de agujas (el trasero del eje de transmisión y el cojinete portador trasero del eje principal). El último no cuenta ya que está en la caja de transferencia a menos que tengas una sobremarcha montada.

Puedes ver el estado del cojinete del piñón primario y del cojinete del eje transversal delantero quitando la tapa delantera dentro de la caja de la campana. Lo más probable es que su problema sea el cojinete del eje de transmisión delantero. Si el perno que retiene la parte delantera del eje de transmisión en su lugar contra el cojinete se ha aflojado, eso puede causar muy a menudo demasiado movimiento del eje y la rotura del cojinete. También hay que tener en cuenta el cojinete del eje auxiliar trasero, ya que se habrá "golpeado" en estas circunstancias.

Háganos saber cómo le va.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.