S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2s in May ...  (Read 24245 times)

Rambler

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5256
  • .:
What you did with your Series 2s in May ...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 12:14:01 AM »

Took Luna out for a drive with the hood off.  Had a friend with me whom I’m helping restore his series 2 and has just joined the club. Easily got to 80 kph, and drove like new ;-).  Here he is in the driving seat.
Former custodian of:

- a 1957 Series 1, 88” with hard top
- Luna, a 1961 Series 2, 88” with full tilt (restoration completed in 2020)
- Tardis, a 1973 Series 3, 88” with hard top (last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas)

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 06:33:51 AM »

Fitted a "new" passenger side door lock bought from eBay for the princely sum of £10 including delivery.  The seller posted it even though they were only 3 miles away.

It is like new with almost no wear unlike the one that came off that was so worn that even the slide spring had worn a hole in the case.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

martinrh

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6601
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 08:48:55 AM »

Spent far to long on a ‘free’ small trailer I was given by a friend.
The lights were broken so I splashed out on some led ones (£6 delivered from eBay!) to reduce the additional load on the wiring.
After checking, modifying and fitting to the back of the trailer, I couldn’t get them to work.
A voltage check and it dawned on me, my Land Rover is positive earth  :thud
They were sealed unit’s so it took a dremmel, unsoldering various led’s and diodes, turning them round, additional wires, and some hot glue.
It took far too much effort and I now have a trailer with lights that only work on positive earth cars, I should probably just tied my trailer board to the back!

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 09:25:09 AM »

Continued to strip the civilian paint off the Aussie military 2a to reveal the original in-service paint beneath. As I'm using single edge razor blades it's taking awhile, 12 hours for the nearside door alone (inside and out). The results are worth it though, and other areas are easier, I hope to finish the bonnet today.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »

CR99162 ....15/8 “ from dtsealsltd if it’s the output pinion like mine . Just done it. If you find the same picture on eBay as I did don’t be fooled by the long tube , it doesn’t come with that , just a metal tool a bit like a spray can top. It got it most of the way down but had to find a longer driver for the last bit. A used bearing off the intermediate shaft fits nicely.

If it’s not that pinion then ignore me  :thud

Gres

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4439
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »

Apologies for the slow response, yes that's the one.
auction: #301388131740

CR99162 ....15/8 “ from dtsealsltd if it’s the output pinion like mine . Just done it. If you find the same picture on eBay as I did don’t be fooled by the long tube , it doesn’t come with that , just a metal tool a bit like a spray can top. It got it most of the way down but had to find a longer driver for the last bit. A used bearing off the intermediate shaft fits nicely.

If it’s not that pinion then ignore me  :thud

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 05:22:53 PM »

Spent far to long on a ‘free’ small trailer I was given by a friend.
The lights were broken so I splashed out on some led ones (£6 delivered from eBay!) to reduce the additional load on the wiring.
After checking, modifying and fitting to the back of the trailer, I couldn’t get them to work.
A voltage check and it dawned on me, my Land Rover is positive earth  :thud
They were sealed unit’s so it took a dremmel, unsoldering various led’s and diodes, turning them round, additional wires, and some hot glue.
It took far too much effort and I now have a trailer with lights that only work on positive earth cars, I should probably just tied my trailer board to the back!

Why not just reverse pos and neg in the coupling plug ?

martinrh

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6601
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »

Why not just reverse pos and neg in the coupling plug ?
Unfortunately that wouldn’t work. There is only one common on the plug, and negative was common on the light unit. you can only pass current one way through the leds, so it had to come apart.
It confused me for a while!

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 08:37:59 PM »

Pulled the gearbox out again to try and work out why my new clutch is not working. Went a bit further and pulled out the whole clutch release mechanism.....and the bolt and hefty washer that goes into the end of the layshaft ( S3 box, S2a Bellhousing) dropped into the bellhousing, completely loose and quite worn from floating about. Hopefully this explains why I've not been able to get the clutch working properly and perhaps why reverse has been increasingly hard to find. You can see the marks its left, gouged into the casing below the cross-shaft.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 09:53:29 PM »

Got the refurbished P25D distributor out of its box, having had it back from "the Doctor" in January. Took off the "all-in-one" "ETC5835EBLACK Distributor Electronic- Black Cap" and the spent some time refitting the reconditioned P25D and then re-installing the Lumenition opto-electronic parts into it. Not so straightforward. The reconfidioned P25D came with some repair to the collar (not sure what was wrong with the old collar) and a new cork gasket. The gasket was too big in O.D. and also thickness, so I spent a long time with vernier calipers and scalpels chopping it down to size to I could fit the P25D back on. Also wish I'd never taken out the metal vacuum pipe, as refitting that is taking a long time. Then I found I had to take a razor saw to the new P25 contact plate to cut the post down by 4mm so it wouldn't clash with the opto-electronic whizzy wheel thing. That explains partly why "the doctor" said my previous post needed replacing. Taking it very slow to avoid any major messups. Good news is that it fired up first time. Still need to connect up vacuum properly and set fine timing. I'd hoped to be able to keep the P25D so I could reinstall the mechanical points as a backup if the Lumenition developed a fault, but the cut-down post is now about 2mm short of what it would really need to be now. Would probably get me home, just, if I needed to. Probably I should now try and get a spare contactor plate with the long post as a spare.

Andrew

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2020, 10:19:30 PM »

Added a lot more candlepower with one of those little led light bars behind the grill.

Just hope I get to drive it in the dark sometime this year.  :'(
We’re all here because we’re not all there.

Rambler

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 03:14:51 AM »

It’s a sad day  :'(. After nearly 5 years of ownership and when I’ve just finished my restoration of my Series 2, I have had to sell her for health reasons.  At least it goes to a friend and new Series 2 club member - Russell here in Regina.  He has a border collie and both will much enjoy the open top driving in Luna.  I wish them all the best for the future   :RHD

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:08 AM »

Sorry to hear your news, on both counts.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »

It’s a sad day  :'(. After nearly 5 years of ownership and when I’ve just finished my restoration of my Series 2, I have had to sell her for health reasons.  At least it goes to a friend and new Series 2 club member - Russell here in Regina.  He has a border collie and both will much enjoy the open top driving in Luna.  I wish them all the best for the future   :RHD

Very sorry to hear that, very sad for you. At least Luna has gone to a friend so you can retain some connection.

G.

Rambler

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »

Thank you for your kind words Gene and Old Hywel,
Yes, Russell has said I can have a drive or ride in this whenever I want too.  It is kind of him and I know he will make good use of this, being his primary transportation.  I hope to attend a few local classic car shows with him, to encourage more interest in our Land Rovers and the club, and to show off my hard work from the restoration, only made possible by the amazing people on this forum and within the S2 club from their advice in putting Luna back together again.
Best wishes and stay safe
Ian
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 16 queries.