S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: combat or split rims  (Read 6083 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: combat or split rims
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2020, 04:40:38 AM »

Hi,

I first met split rims in the RAF, but thankfully didn't meet them during my spells in the tyre bay. I did meet them on my Austin Champ ... and still wish I hadn't.

Me? I'm happy to change 750 tyres on standard steel rims, using only a pair of 600mm tyre levers, and a pair of boots ... provided I was the last person to fit them. I "paint" the full width of the rims, and the beads of the tyres, with Waxoyl. The rims won't go rusty, and the tyres just slip on and off the brims. I freqently used my 88" to pull various 109" up the 100 yards of 1:5 tarmac to my house ... no signs of tyre slipping on the rim once inflated.

Me? If I was going into Darkest Do Do Land, I think I'd like to be running on NEW rims, and have enough spare wheels, and lots of tubes, to get me to the next Colonial outpost.  My daughter gave me "Middle of Nowhere" for my birthday (A good read).

Finding enough fuel (location and quantity) seemed to be a bigger problem than break-downs or punctures. Belly tanks?  :shakeinghead

Leon

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 12:59:21 PM »

I've been running 5.5x16 divided rime for the last 24 years. I had the bolts re-zinced & the threads coated with antiseize. So far no problem.
One observation is that they will not fit on a LWB with the 3x11 brake drums.
112602729 Fire Tender
112801540 Hard Top
28700207A 1963 2a Forward Control
1992 D90 Tdi
1993 R-R Tdi

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2020, 11:28:38 AM »

Hi,

I noticed the lack of indicator lamps,. which prompted me to look at where you live. Upper Hutt in Kiwi Land.

If you see a Hillman Imp (Leaping Lena), it will probably be my mate Gary Henderson, though he lives in Lower Hutt.

Please give him my regards ... and tell him to answer his Emails. I suspect that he is a useful bloke to know... if you live close.

602 (AKA John)

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »

We've done serious safari in Africa in a 110 and have never needed more than one spare tyre and a tar plug set.

Split rims are cool but I wouldn't faff with them specifically for safari/overlanding.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 07:03:57 AM »

I am a fan of divided rims, but mainly for their 'novelty' value.

As radial tyres are so much softer and easier to get on and off well based rims than cross ply tyres I would agree that divided rims are not very practical these days.

David.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 09:53:58 AM »

Hi,

I have fitted 750-16" 12 PR TRUCK tyres onto SWB rims, using just a pair of tyre levers. The tyres cost me thirty shilling each, plus £1 for "cutting".

But that would have been in 1972, before I learned that RECUT tyres were not allowed on non-HGVs. I was surprised to see that these tyres remained round, with the weight of an 86" on them ... even with zero pressure.

Times were hard. An then Barbara got herself re-instated as an EO, at DVLC, retaining her seniority and pay-scale from her time in London (HMRC Purchase Tax), and we "were cooking with gas" for a couple of years. Buying a brand new 4-bed detached Wimpy Superhome put the kibosh on that.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »

Hi,

I have fitted 750-16" 12 PR TRUCK tyres onto SWB rims, using just a pair of tyre levers.

I have too, in exactly the same way.  I used to work on a farm and the owner's brother ran a tyre depot.  Any half decent 7.50x16 lorry tyres came our way and went on to the front of the tractors.   The land was clay with flints so any tyres were soon ripped to shreds.  When the front tyres gave up they exploded with an impressive bang.

David.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2020, 11:08:21 PM »

Hi David,

Somebody fired a shot gun in the lane in front of my house.  I dashed out ... nobody. ???

Twenty minutes later, it happened again. Still nobody.

The following day I went out, to drive the tractor, up to my fields to feed and water my horses .. found my Grey Ferrgie sitting on two flat tyres. Maybe I shouldn't have put 30psi in the rear tyres, and left it standing in the sun?

OK ... they were rotten. I found a pair of part-worns for £10 each ... fitted.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2020, 07:51:21 AM »

One of our 2s still has 750s on SWB rims, we first started using second hand 750 truck tyres in the early 70s, we were careful not to pick the ones that had been recut.  Most of them seemed to come off TK Bedfords

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.