S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash cam required...  (Read 5504 times)

Youngun

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
Dash cam required...
« on: October 04, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »

Just arriving home, turned into the road and spotted the local brats playing in the road...

Knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as idiot child on pushbike stares straight at me and slowly pedals across the road whilst making deliberate eye contact within feet of the front bumper.

Personally I was hoping he'd drop the bike infront of me so I could run over it  ???

Anyway, it's getting stupid, so I need a dash cam...

I have no idea where to start.

Battery, removable, hard wired, HD, front, front and rear?

Any advice appreciated

Neal

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
Re: Dash cam required...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »

GPS enabled useful.

Don't need to set the time, speed indication ...
Tim

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »

I got a ROAV brand of fleabay. Story on my blog; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2017/09/dash-cam-for-land-rover.html

Uses a usb plug for power thru a receptical in my dash. Not had to try to recover any footage, but it is just on a micro SD card.

fv1620

• Hub seal tester
    • Shorland Site
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »

GPS enabled useful.
Don't need to set the time, speed indication ...

Yes I agree. We have several vehicles with cheap dashcams which are fiddle to set up with sub menus then at some stage find the date has drifted back to several years ago or just pack up.

I have now fitted rear cams as well because I find increasingly there are bully boy HGV drivers who drive a foot or two behind you in the believe it will scare the vehicle to go faster. This is counterproductive because if I see a pull-in to let him pass I can't slow down to make the turn off.

I have now got one with a small rigidly fixed (not a sucker) rear camera that feeds the front dashcam. Not cheap but it is easy to set up & it is a great relief to have accurate time & BST set as well as location. Had it a month so going to get another.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mio-Mivue-751-DUAL-Car-Dash-Cam-DVR-With-GPS-Speed-Rear-Camera-Video-Record/401593325299?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Clive Elliott GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AESP, ACI, COSA, DCI, EMER, EMPS, JSP, LoC, RAOS, VAOS, etc, Army & WO Coded publications

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 09:05:15 AM »

There's dash cams and there's dash cams.

Most/all are a pain to set up.

Often the memory card is really difficult to extract - you have to dismount the cam to get at it. Also the turning on button is hard to find  :shakeinghead
Most cams will only tale a 32 GB card and that only captures a few hours of action. So if you are using it to record a day's greenlaning you'll need at least 2 memory cards - else it will overwrite the early stuff  :thud

What would be good would be a remote controller for the cam, so you can leave it mounted to the screen, and/or WiFi download the action already captured.

So, yes, they are some quite good cheap cams, but they are not easy to use/setup.

:-\
We are at a bit of an impasse in car design - much as sat nav was a couple of years ago - soon, dash and rear-view cams will be built into all new cars.
(Doesn't help us with our Series Land Rovers)

:RHD
Who's a then ?

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »

My only concern with dash cams is that they also record your mistakes :wooly-jumper
(not that I make any :-[)

Sixpotsuz

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3769
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 02:33:12 PM »

Maybe a second approach would be to report the parents to social services?
S
X

Youngun

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »

Maybe a second approach would be to report the parents to social services?
S
X

It's a large estate and I have no idea where they live on it. I intend to report it to the housing association so they can put out a public notice.

but also I'd like video evidence incase their or my luck runs out and someone gets flattened.

Neal

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »

There's dash cams and there's dash cams.

Most/all are a pain to set up.

Often the memory card is really difficult to extract - you have to dismount the cam to get at it. Also the turning on button is hard to find  :shakeinghead
Most cams will only tale a 32 GB card and that only captures a few hours of action. So if you are using it to record a day's greenlaning you'll need at least 2 memory cards - else it will overwrite the early stuff  :thud

What would be good would be a remote controller for the cam, so you can leave it mounted to the screen, and/or WiFi download the action already captured.

So, yes, they are some quite good cheap cams, but they are not easy to use/setup.

:-\
We are at a bit of an impasse in car design - much as sat nav was a couple of years ago - soon, dash and rear-view cams will be built into all new cars.
(Doesn't help us with our Series Land Rovers)

:RHD

Mine is simple, comes on with the ignition and also comes on when the car is jiggled and records for 30 sec. SD card slides in the top and power button is on the bottom side. The hard part was figuring out a simple mount for a Rover. Since I'm simple I got it done.  :-X

Dormy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6632
  • .:
  • Sleeping on the job....Zzzzzz
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »

I got a cheap dashcam with GPS several years ago. It came with software which downloads itself on the SD card. More recently I bought another (not the same make), so one stays in the L/R and one is in the eurobox. They both turn on/off with the ignition and I don't worry if they record my mistakes as there seem to be (to me anyway !) a lot of very poor drivers out there (not been tried out by an accident scammer yet).

They were both simple enough to set up even though I only do a couple of forums on the internet and owned (at the time) a Nokia classic mobile phone.

I have downloaded a bit of the videos of me out in the L/R both on and off the road and saved a video of a stupid mad driver jinking through traffic in a heavily laden van coming up to a roundabout - just couldn't believe he actually made it ! (if you want to see send a PM).

Now about this new 'Smart Phone' I have just got - how does it work ?

On the road: - 66 109 Dormobile
Work in progress: - SWB Truck x2 & LWB 3/4 ton GS

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »

The only thing I would add is to ensure it has parking mode and a battery in it.
This will then record if the car gets knocked when parked, the battery is there so you don’t need a permanent 12v supply.
Next base ones have this, I’ll be getting one of them next.
The chance of someone knocking your car is pretty high when parked, my old man got back to his car to find £5k of damage after someone had knocked it and *&%^$ off.
He now has a dash cam!

If your not fussed about parking mode then there’s lots of £20 options that are good on amazon.
Next base start at £60 I think

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »

I have a NextBase 512GW in my Mini, I used the permanent sticky pad that comes with it and it's hard wired, the images are very good and clear with a 1440p HD recording. I have a 64 GB disc which records 3 minute segments and once the memory is used up it just loops around. The short recording time allows easier downloads to my mobile so less editing, I've experienced some pretty frightening video's mainly quarry lorries going way too fast and driving dangerously. Mine has the parking facility, otherwise it comes on with the ignition.

Just have to remember it records your voice, speed and location which sometimes I have forgotten. :-[ :agh

Rob.

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »

I have a NextBase 212 in the car. Not had to use it in anger yet but always have it on just in case

mjallum

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »

I use a NextBase with little trouble except that it just about every time a pothole or rut is encountered it switches to emergency mode. Guess its the hard ride of a series as it never does so in my euro box.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »

I have a BlackVue camera in my daily driver and it is great. Very small, fitted behind the interior mirror so barely visible and it really is fit and forget. I have hard-wired mine running the cable up the door pillar trim and tucked under the headlining.
It starts recording when you start the car and stops recording about 15 seconds after the ignition is turned off. It speaks to you at start up and shutdown so you know it is still alive without having to look for little LED lights.

Only complaint was they supply a blank SD card but you need the program on the SD card to make the camera work. It is a simple matter of going to their website, downloading the file and copying it to the SD card but they didn't mention that in the instructions anywhere so if you were a bit less computer literate, you may be driving around for months with the camera doing anything!

Craig.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.