S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash cam required...  (Read 5503 times)

Ferret1958uk

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6604
  • .:
Re: Dash cam required...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »

My ideal set up would be a fixed base unit hidden out of the way, and some small cameras that feed information to it. That way the cameras are as small as they can be. Does such a thing exist? As it runs GPS, having it as a tracker as well would be helpfull.
Merlin
1964 Rover 8 FFR;
1968 Rover 11 GS;
1968 Rover 11 Fire Unit Truck, Guided Weapons;
1965 Alexander Pressings narrow track trailer

Dieselhen

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 4912
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »

I bought a cheap dashcam from the Tesco filling station a couple of years ago after working at the extreme end of the Glen Etive road. I asked the stalker about them when I noticed all the estate vehicles were fitted with dashcams. He reckoned they were a must-have particularly on our single track roads - and Glen Etive is an interesting road to drive, ridiculously popular with the James Bond fans. Anyway, cheapo dashcam fell apart last year and I replaced it with a NextBase 312 GW out of Argos. It was recommended as a Which? best buy and was about £90. It was fairly straightforward to set up and works well. I do occasionally review what it's recorded, but mainly it's there in case. I do unplug it when I switch off the engine as I'm a bit paranoid about the battery.

ian_1968

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »

I have a Nextbase in two cars they have been good and reliable. I also brought a cheap motorola that has been all-right. Learnings are 1. that if you don't set the detection to hard every pot hole will save a recording (It thinks you have been bumped) 2. voice recording can be switched off.  It is better to have gps tracking as should you need to it will show the road time and speed. Which can be a double edged sword but if speeding is the worry - it works both ways.
Many a Land Rover has passed my door, I am still soaking up the oil they left.

fv1620

• Hub seal tester
    • Shorland Site
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 08:12:20 AM »

On the Mio you can turn off the speed as well as the microphone. Formatting the card was easily done on the cam & has the easiest controls to set of the various cams I have used.
Clive Elliott GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AESP, ACI, COSA, DCI, EMER, EMPS, JSP, LoC, RAOS, VAOS, etc, Army & WO Coded publications

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 04:09:30 PM »

One thing to consider.... make sure you get one with battery back up for parking monitoring. This will start recording automatically when the car is bumped and ignition is off  :first

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 04:20:30 AM »

Most/all are a pain to set up.

Hi,

We asked the Hyundai main dealer to fit MY dash-cam into Barbara's iX20. £50, and they made a tidy job. Halfords quoted the same.

With a Series, all you need is a cigar lighter socket (wired thru ignition) and a cable-tie (to keep the spare wire tidy).

There is/was a warning/discussion on another 4x4 forum, about the police scanning any footage they get hold of, to see if they can book YOU for any "naughties" Would that comply with the "Rules of Evidence"?. Solution, set the clock 12 hours back, then prove you were somewhere else at the time recorded, and claim "The 5th".

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »

This might have ben covered before, but are any of these Dashcams polarity sensitive?

I've a (well-hidden) 12v socket fitted, and I've had absolutely no problems with any electronic gizmos (i-phone, sat-nav, etc) plugged into it.  My S2 is still the old positive earth.....

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »

They will all be polarity sensitive.

For a positive earthed vehicle you will have to ensure you reverse the polarity of your supply to the dash cam.
The dash cams themselves don't have metallic or earthed cases, so no problem if they touch the vehicle body - but you need to be careful with your supply to the cam that it is isolated from the vehicle's body.
The cam's will normally have diode protection should you ever connect them up the wrong way round.

Who's a then ?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.