S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the model-makers  (Read 4502 times)

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
Re: One for the model-makers
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 07:36:07 PM »

I had/have an old ambulance somewhere but I reckon it's missing bits/broken. Made it 20+ years ago.
I ought to grab a couple of pinkies for the stash, would look good with the IDF Jeeps I've done recently.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2023, 07:59:25 PM »

I was always surprised at the relative lack of land rover kits, when compared to jeeps and the like, I don't think Airfix even did one in their 1/32 scale range back in the day. These new ones look great especially the crane!

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2023, 08:15:38 PM »

I'm no Jeep expert but most *military* versions seems to be available, including the Bantam now. But the civvy ones basically do not exist in kit form. Its actually surprising how few LR kits there are, considering the vast array of types. Nobody has done the 101 or lightweight, we have now got the first 88GS, will be interesting to see what else appears. I believe in the past it was very difficult to get permission from JLR, however it seems things have changed recently, as we have these three, a 107 series1 coming from airfix, and even a scalextric series 1 80" on the way.

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2023, 06:23:41 AM »

There were white metal kits of Lightweight and 101Fc available a few years ago....

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2023, 06:56:53 AM »

Yes, I remember those, mixed media resin and white metal, quite small production runs. Quite a different animal to an injection moulded kit.

chadders27DM70

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4590
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/ak-interactive-ak35012-land-rover-88--1466862

There appears to be a model company with a hole set of series 2 land rovers!!!

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2023, 02:54:16 PM »

I have one of those 1/35 scale metal and resin kits of a 101 GS somewhere. I'll try to find it sometime.

Another long forgotten name was Hart Models. They used to make a whole range of white metal kits in 1:48 scale. I built one of their 88" series II's I think it was in red, post office decals on it. Still have it somewhere.

Another name to look at although not series vehicles.
https://accurate-armour.com/search?terms=land+rover

Craig.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/ak-interactive-ak35012-land-rover-88--1466862

There appears to be a model company with a hole set of series 2 land rovers!!!

Um, yeah, that was my original post which prompted this thread...!

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2023, 03:01:19 PM »

I have one of those 1/35 scale metal and resin kits of a 101 GS somewhere. I'll try to find it sometime.

Another long forgotten name was Hart Models. They used to make a whole range of white metal kits in 1:48 scale. I built one of their 88" series II's I think it was in red, post office decals on it. Still have it somewhere.

Another name to look at although not series vehicles.
https://accurate-armour.com/search?terms=land+rover

Craig.

AA used to do series III 109"s, hard top and soft top. Being mixed media kits they are quite expensive though and need a bit more skill than plastic.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2023, 03:23:23 PM »

O7BE16

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7056
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 04:46:10 PM »

Going up in scale Kit Form Services produce some very nice models in 1/24  including a Series 2A Ambulance a 101 and a Lightweight.

https://kitformservices.com/collections/all-kit-form-services-products

Although these are also mixed media (resin and white metal) they are a lot easier to build than the traditional resin kits from Accurate Armour as all of the resin bits are separated from the sprues.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2023, 05:28:24 PM »

I got the kit today from Motobitz to convert my Revell 109" SW into a series IIA

https://motobitz.uk/index.html

Very nice looking bits they are too. You get the new front grille panel, metal etched grille, new dashboard, individual window wiper motors, new wipers, new steering wheel and a 4 cylinder transmission tunnel. The website is a bit confused by the dates as they state series II's have the lights in the middle and IIA are in the wings but just order according to the photos, not the dates they specify and you will get the right thing.

I'll be building my 1967 IIA from the kit so I won't be using the individual wiper motors or the wire spoke steering wheel. I may well use the new wipers though as they look a lot nicer than the kit versions. I will have a go at altering the windscreen brackets and see if I can 3D print new door hinges. The hinges may be a bit small for the printer though. Deeper sill panels should be easy to fabricate from plastic sheet.

I also ordered a sheet of silver number plate letters and numbers from them in 1/24 scale so I can make my own number plates up.

I'll get started on that soon as the HMS Warrior I'm building at the minute is out the way. That is a wooden model at 1/100 scale. It is pretty large.

Craig.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2023, 06:29:24 PM »

Meccano produced a Land Rover kit. I can't remember which version it was but I bought one at the Newbury Land Rover event way back. I never assembled it (apparently it's worth more if not assembled) and when I put my collection of die-casts including many Land Rovers for auction it was sold with them.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2023, 08:44:17 PM »

I got the kit today from Motobitz to convert my Revell 109" SW into a series IIA

https://motobitz.uk/index.html

Very nice looking bits they are too. You get the new front grille panel, metal etched grille, new dashboard, individual window wiper motors, new wipers, new steering wheel and a 4 cylinder transmission tunnel. The website is a bit confused by the dates as they state series II's have the lights in the middle and IIA are in the wings but just order according to the photos, not the dates they specify and you will get the right thing.

I'll be building my 1967 IIA from the kit so I won't be using the individual wiper motors or the wire spoke steering wheel. I may well use the new wipers though as they look a lot nicer than the kit versions. I will have a go at altering the windscreen brackets and see if I can 3D print new door hinges. The hinges may be a bit small for the printer though. Deeper sill panels should be easy to fabricate from plastic sheet.

I also ordered a sheet of silver number plate letters and numbers from them in 1/24 scale so I can make my own number plates up.

I'll get started on that soon as the HMS Warrior I'm building at the minute is out the way. That is a wooden model at 1/100 scale. It is pretty large.

Craig.

If you are successful printing off hinges I'm sure myself and others would be interested in buying them.

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2023, 10:56:43 PM »

If you are successful printing off hinges I'm sure myself and others would be interested in buying them.

Definitely! I have got another Revell kit to cut down a 109 into an 88 to make a model of my own 1960. Would be better with the right hinges on it!
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.