S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Slightly OT, Big jump in Insurance.  (Read 992 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Slightly OT, Big jump in Insurance.
« on: June 28, 2023, 01:33:16 PM »

I've several vehicles insured with Adrian Flux, just received the renewal quote for my 1997 Merc.... a mere 60% increase !  I rang to ask, spent a long time on hold and came away with the answer that "A lot of Insurers are putting their prices up due to the increasing cost of claims...".  I've told them to let the Policy lapse, I intend to sell the vehicle as soon as I get a new MOT anyway.

:stars
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

• Master of the oils
Re: Slightly OT, Big jump in Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 01:46:14 PM »

I had this happen, previously insured with peter best.

Premium increased, went all around the usual suspects claiming they could offer best deal only to renew with Peter Best again.

I was quoted more for laid up or restricted mileage policies than for unlimited miles which comes as standard with PB I did not ask for it.

Maybe worth a try.  What ever you decide get a summary letter re no claims bonus up on leaving.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 01:55:18 PM »

I read on the press that there's a steep rise in car insurance premiums now.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

• Master of the oils
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »

NFU are trying it with a family member at present.

So far halifax, hastings and a few other coming out over £200 cheaper for same or better cover.

That is the reward you get for loyalty its seems.

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 02:34:49 PM »

One of the reasons for the hike is the lack of spare parts, particularly electronic chips etc, with which to carry out vehicle repairs.
Where the insurance policy provides for a replacement  vehicle while the insured car is off the road, insurers are having to pay for longer periods of replacement car hire. It's costing them a fortune, apparently.
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Phil2014

• Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4721
  • .:
  • Borders area rep
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 02:36:40 PM »

Seems hit and miss, renewed our home, everyday car and series 2 insurance over the last few months, all gone up slightly, but not enough to make it worth the hassle of shopping around.
Phil.

Jimbo

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 236
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 07:34:09 PM »

As said above, the difficulty in obtaining parts is causing a big issue.
I was in a body shop today collecting my Jimny, they have a big Mercedes SUV sat in the yard, it’s been awaiting a rear drop link since January.
In all this time the owner has been driving around in a XC90 at £160 a day hire charge.
All this expenditure will have to be passed onto us, no way the insurance companies will pay for it themselves……
James

Member: 236
1959 Series 2 88” 2.25 Petrol
2016 Discovery 4 SDV6
2017 Suzuki Jimny

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:17:35 PM »

Seems to be a lottery, insurance on the S3 up by £20 to be honest didn’t bother shopping around at that. Girlfriend’s car came down in price this year but think she had to put a call in to get a revised quote.

Spike68

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7977
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 12:34:24 PM »

Just renewed with Lancaster Insurance, down from £95 last year to £83 this year.
@spike_landrover1968
 Instagram

• Master of the oils
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 01:19:42 PM »

I had this happen, previously insured with peter best.

Premium increased, went all around the usual suspects claiming they could offer best deal only to renew with Peter Best again.

I was quoted more for laid up or restricted mileage policies than for unlimited miles which comes as standard with PB I did not ask for it.

Maybe worth a try.  What ever you decide get a summary letter re no claims bonus up on leaving.

In the interests of correctness I am insured with Peter James not Peter Best who I have insured with some years ago.

Peter James was recommended to me by a chap who had multiple BSA and honda classics with them.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 06:02:55 AM »

Hi,

At one time, Third Party Only (TPO) was the absolute cheapest insurance, followed by Third Party Fire and Theft (TPFT). There is something in my mind about ACT ONLY, which I think covered only injuries to persons, but has been overtaken by legislation, which makes the driver responsible for injuries to  his own passengers. This led to the insurers enguiring about your "life style". (Do you associate with rich pop-stars, or WHY, which might lead to silly injury claims.)

But in recent times, the Insurers have been claiming that  Fully Comp is the cheapest option. The later option may have something to do with the cost of arguing the damages in court.

Hmmm! Why should the big toe of a famous footballer be worth more than my big toe?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2023, 06:12:04 AM »

Hi,

Probably OT, but when in my teens (70ish years ago), the CTC (Cycle Tourist Club) offered third party insurance for something like £2 per year.

Hmmm! Maybe everybody over age 18 should be required to have 3rd party insurance, perhaps underwritten by HMG.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2023, 09:35:08 AM »

One thing which puzzles me is why some insurers simply won’t even quote me , even though several others will. The details of the vehicle , address , occupation and driving history are all the same so what’s the problem ?

I know they take postcode so level of risk into consideration etc etc and to some extent that’s understandable but why not insure you and then see how it goes , they could then load your premium based on your claims or lack of if they think fit .

• Master of the oils
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2023, 10:09:29 AM »

602  I was told that fully comp was the only level of cover for the land rover by my insurer.

It also has all manner of bells and whistles that cannot be deselected, and I am told would not reduce premium even if it did.

Re cycle insurance that used to be with BCF before they got trendy and rebranded British Cycling.  CTC from memory was more thorough but did not include racing.

Betsy you are correct, the NFU would not quote me for Land Rover cover in my own right as they said I did not qualify, this despite being named driver on NFU policies for 2 decades.

Rural postcode, but with the amount of tackle that gets nicked in the countryside I wonder if that is a burden these days.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 05:37:05 PM »

It was NFU that refused to insure me as it happens
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.