S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WiFi Mesh Coverage.  (Read 2144 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Re: WiFi Mesh Coverage.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »

Ah!  And another not-so-good....

d) The Google Nest Router has only the one Ethernet port, and that is needed to connect to your modem.  So if you have any devices you need to hard-wire directly to your wi-fi router by a LAN cable, you're going to need some kind of gigabit switch to provide extra ethernet ports......

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 05:30:48 AM »

but the workshops/barns are on a different mains supply (three phase)

Hi,

I don't know what I'm talking about, but that has never stopped me ....

I understood that it was possible to hook onto just ONE of those three phases. ???

Our cottages in the Swansea Valley had the electricity supplied by FIVE cables (10mm? 16mm?) hung on "telegraph poles". I understood that my cottages took power from only SOME of those cables, with my neighbours using different cable of the same five. Memory says my link was to only TWO of the five.

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 08:15:45 AM »

All of the above is true. You can use 1 of the 3 phases + neutral for a single phase supply. Or two of the phases and a transformer.

But, the thread was discussing using the mains supply for data communication. That only works if all points are on the same physical connection, in this case, the same phase. If the two locations are on different phases, then they are not electrically connected, so there will be no data transferred between them.

Chris.

fv1620

• Hub seal tester
    • Shorland Site
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 11:01:21 AM »

With no broadband here, for some years I have struggled with an EE router to a distant tower & network of Netgear extenders. The problem with the extenders is that they cannot be daisy-chained in series to extend the range, they all have to be within range of the central router. They were very tedious to set up & their wall penetration was poor given that most of our walls including some internal walls are 2ft thick.

I had eventually twigged that a mesh system is different & that they can link together to help each other out with the coverage. Things came to a head as since August the EE tower has been able to only handle data to give speeds of down to 10kbs.(EE still saying they expect to have the problem fixed within 16 hours!!)

I now have a Starlink system which I now link into a Deco M4 mesh system. These units easily penetrate the 2ft walls & with the phone app are an absolute doddle to set up.

A pack of 3 units costs £99.99 from Argos or Currys. They say you can use up to 10 units, but I have 4 in operation. I did add more but that seemed to cause congestion problems. But with careful spacing of 3 I get coverage around the house & the 4th is in my workshop 100ft away.

Very pleased with the set whole set up. 
Clive Elliott GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AESP, ACI, COSA, DCI, EMER, EMPS, JSP, LoC, RAOS, VAOS, etc, Army & WO Coded publications
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.