S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regretfully ...  (Read 5008 times)

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
Re: Regretfully ...
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »

John, the pingat masa medal is only relevant if service in Malaya was from 1957 onwards, so my father would not be eligible as he served in Malaya with the RAF in late forties/ early fifties. He does however have his campaign medal.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »

Hi Gibbo.

You surprised me, I thought the Pingat Jasa medal covered the Malaysian "troubles".(See film "The Seventh Dawn") Google agrees with you.

One of my "Boot Camp" mates only did about 4 weeks training (out of eight). He was given two weeks embarkation leave, before going to Malaya ... as a Despatch Rider. This was 1959. I think there was a high "attrition rate" for despatch riders in Malaya, at that time.

I arrived in April 1965, with Barbara following a couple of months later (We couldn't get married soon enough for her to fly out with me) I suspect our indecent haste caused a bit of "finger counting". We'd scarcely known each other for six months. In July 1967, we were given two plane tickets to Singapore, and a months pay. We flew from Singapore to Heathrow ... 26 hours in a Britannia turbo-prop. Our mongrel flew to UK in a QUANTAS 707

If your dad is still alive, there is a PJ Medal on Ebay, at £50.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »

A Malaysian Peninsular Campaign Medal should still be available from the MoD. This medal will have their number rank and name engraved around the rim, so is very personal. The MoD will know if the medal was ever issued, and if not, I believe they, or their (proven) next of kin, can claim it.

Indeed, the Medal Office, based at RAF Innsworth, exists for just such cases. https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-medal
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 11:02:37 PM »

John, the PJ medal is only for those that served from 31st August 57 as that was the date of independence. By the way my dad is very much alive and kicking!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 04:58:53 AM »

as that was the date of independence

Hi Gibbo,

Ah!  I never thought of that.

I was aware (but not in detail) of the executions that took place in the main square, Penang, during "occupation" in WW2, and Indonesian raiding parties, in my time, intent of blowing up our "sanitation" facilities.

Did your Dad see "A Town like Alice" (Nevil Schute), shown on TV recently. (I read the book while in Malaya). The Scottish heroine was a civilian PoW, who after the War, goes to Oz, to repay her "debt" to an Oz soldier, who was crucified by the invaders, for stealing a chicken, for her to eat. "Alice" refers to Alice Springs.

Xmas is coming!  The DVD is still available

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.