S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Potholes and Collapsing Multi-Storey Car Parks  (Read 2408 times)

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
Re: Potholes and Collapsing Multi-Storey Car Parks
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 09:18:40 AM »

Volume of traffic ?

Absolutely a guessing game
No-won could foresee the changing in working patterns
However, in theory, the days of "predict and provide" are long gone. Roads aren't built  / improved (generally) to accommodate increased traffic, there are other reasons; safety, pollution and in certain cases, Planning. - That's where the "in theory " bit falls down, as Gov't policy isn't about a cleaner more healthy world, it's about who shouts / pays more.

Take the 60mph speed limit round Sheffield. As it's HGV's that cause most of the NOX and PM10 / 2.5 the speed limit, to reduce pollution, should be lower than the HGV speed - it isn't, so what is the point.
Even a 50 mph limit doesn't do a fat lot. When Tinsley Viaduct was restricted to 50mph (as it was full of men welding it back together) for 2 years, the air quality monitors showed sod all difference from before and after. 
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 09:59:50 AM »

Hi,

When I leave our estate, which was built in the mid-1980s, and join Wattling Street, there is a big sign announcing 3000 NEW HOMES.

Announcement? Maybe it's a warning!

Mycroft

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2023, 10:25:14 AM »

There's a 'posh' neighbourhood near me that keeps having recurring potholes - the Facebook page talks of little else. We all thought it was the council deliberately doing a half-*&%^$ job, wink-wink, but maybe it's the sheer volume of Teslas and EV SUVs.

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2023, 10:42:07 AM »

Hi,

When I leave our estate, which was built in the mid-1980s, and join Wattling Street, there is a big sign announcing 3000 NEW HOMES.

Announcement? Maybe it's a warning!

doing the same here on 300+ acres soon enough, if they can shove the plans through anyway, which they will in the end no doubt.

meanwhile roads haven't been upgraded for the past 40 years or more, no new hospitals, no new doctors, no new schools.
sewage works will be the same as they were in the 1800s no doubt, as they just got in trouble for dumping sewage in the rivers here, almost 10k reported incidents of it in a year...
last reservoir built 30+ years ago, yet wondering why water shortages happen every year...so on and so on

they wonder why the system is failing, yet no care or thought seems to go into it.
its why the EV thing is hit and miss for me, good idea on paper, but isn't thought out at all in the long term it appears, as usual though it seems.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2023, 11:42:01 AM »

Everything this country does is a knee jerk reaction and never thought through properly. Common sense is severely lacking.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2023, 12:49:35 PM »

it's to do with the shelf life of politicians

3 or 5 years isn't enough to undo the previous regime's policies and implement new ones and win votes to stay in power

Although I wonder what it would take to get the UK on it's feet and banging on the doors at Whitehall nowadays

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »

Are you sure the New York collapse was to do with Ev's……I’m not sure anything caught fire….so how can it have been!

Joking aside it is the responsibility of every property owner to check their condition of their structures and use accordingly. If this is the same collapse I read about it seemed to report that there were no recent building permits and it was built back in the 1920’s. I wonder how many multi-storey car parks are suffering from the emotive phrase 'concrete cancer' over here let alone having been designed for lighter vehicles. And I suppose we have the irony that cities are creating clean air zones encouraging ev's into the cities and small range electric vehicles don't have the range to get there and back without charging and there is no charging ….so the big ones have to find somewhere to park.

Listen I'm not blind and forgive me for getting angry at the anti ev opportunity with some on here….I'm really disappointed that electric cars have solved the range issue by getting so large. There is a place for electric cars esp in cities and for short journeys so let’s not throw them all out…and yes I'd be happy to pay for road tax…I use the roads I'm happy to pay…..long distance journeys are still best done by diesel where it properly warms up and you're out of the cities. Reducing Co2 is still important….Volvo went down the diesel hybrid rather than petrol hybrid……that seemed to make sense esp with the short shelf life of petrol and the need to reduce co2 emissions……but of course we know particulates harm people.

I'm shocked at the weight of 4x4'’s these days whatever their motive force is….I'd like to understand why from someone who knows about these things. Any automotive engineers on here.

I'm with Colin Chapman….simplify and add lightness Long live the Series 2
I don't think any fire was involved.
From the short piece I read the 'blame' was put upon an old building not designed for the weight of modern vehicles.
Ev's where singled out due to their extra weight.   ???

blackotter

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 3112
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2023, 09:26:03 PM »

Last year I was looking into buying a new car and had occasion to read the Kia 7 year warrenty. It was very interesting, when you got to the bottom, to discover the 7years did not apply to a EV batteries only 2 years.That I thought spoke volumns.

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2023, 02:23:58 AM »

Good Morning All,

You would think that either the Daily Fail or the FF industry, or possibly both, was sponsoring this thread followed by never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge about EV's.

EV batteries will, in many cases, outlive the vehicles they were fitted to.  There are already plans and companies turning UBG EV battery packs in to send use storage where space is less critical i.e home storage type solutions.

There are such as Tesla's out there that have done 250k miles on their original battery although granted, they won't have the same capacity as when new.

Yes EV's are heavier than their ICE counterparts but battery efficiencies are continuing to improve - bear in mind the 51kWh battery in a Zoe50 occupies precisely the same space as the predecessors' 40kWh job.

A big part of the weight issue with EV's is dealing with range anxiety for ICE obsessed drivers.  Everybody has gotten so used to driving large distances in ICE vehicles and expect to be able to do the same in EV's.  This type of thinking needs to change.  It is the current mentality relating to people thinking they can do what they want as they have in the past - it is all our behaviours in said past that has helped bring climate change to where it is now.

Remember the phrase there is no such thing as a 'free lunch'?  Planet Earth is calling it its marker.

Regards

Richard

lowoil

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2023, 07:59:08 AM »

More or less looked at the original article, I think the top 3 vehicles listed in the paper were American including a Hummer - their figure came out at 17% rather than 33% when considering the European marked and noted that non-electric cars have been getting heavier for decdes too.
https://twitter.com/BBCMoreOrLess/status/1669357019839733765

Mycroft

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2023, 11:16:38 AM »

Good Morning All,

You would think that either the Daily Fail or the FF industry, or possibly both, was sponsoring this thread followed by never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge about EV's.

EV batteries will, in many cases, outlive the vehicles they were fitted to.  There are already plans and companies turning UBG EV battery packs in to send use storage where space is less critical i.e home storage type solutions.

There are such as Tesla's out there that have done 250k miles on their original battery although granted, they won't have the same capacity as when new.

Yes EV's are heavier than their ICE counterparts but battery efficiencies are continuing to improve - bear in mind the 51kWh battery in a Zoe50 occupies precisely the same space as the predecessors' 40kWh job.

A big part of the weight issue with EV's is dealing with range anxiety for ICE obsessed drivers.  Everybody has gotten so used to driving large distances in ICE vehicles and expect to be able to do the same in EV's.  This type of thinking needs to change.  It is the current mentality relating to people thinking they can do what they want as they have in the past - it is all our behaviours in said past that has helped bring climate change to where it is now.

Remember the phrase there is no such thing as a 'free lunch'?  Planet Earth is calling it its marker.

Regards

Richard

Filling our roads with appalling, inefficient, heavy, road damaging, child labour reliant, toxic chemical consuming, fast depreciating and expensive EVs will do less than nothing to appease Planet Earth I'm afraid. High status signalling greenwash.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2023, 01:52:53 PM »

Why is it, in this age of Woke, that anyone daring to speak out against these minority driven issues, are we dismissed and accused of being a whinger, ICE obsessed, bashing EV etc. Not one supporter of these toxic batteries has yet come out to defend the environmental damaging monstrous Lithium opencast mines, which are reportedly/allegedly employing children. And even if they weren't, that would still not excuse them.   

I`m waiting for the day when someone on here invents a name to call us non believers, and when that happens, just like the word racist, it`ll probably end in IST

Rather than put up facts to disprove my comments and the comments of others on this thread, its being suggested that I/we must be in the pay of The Daily Mail or maybe some diabolical secret section of the oil industry, hogwash.

And if that wasn`t enough hogwash for you, we are now accused of being the problem, because Richard believes - "A big part of the weight issue with EV's is dealing with range anxiety for ICE obsessed drivers.

Range, RANGE - Quite frankly my dear, I couldn`t give a damn.
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Mycroft

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2023, 02:06:24 PM »

Why is it, in this age of Woke, that anyone daring to speak out against these minority driven issues, are we dismissed and accused of being a whinger, ICE obsessed, bashing EV etc. Not one supporter of these toxic batteries has yet come out to defend the environmental damaging monstrous Lithium opencast mines, which are reportedly/allegedly employing children. And even if they weren't, that would still not excuse them.   

I`m waiting for the day when someone on here invents a name to call us non believers, and when that happens, just like the word racist, it`ll probably end in IST

Rather than put up facts to disprove my comments and the comments of others on this thread, its being suggested that I/we must be in the pay of The Daily Mail or maybe some diabolical secret section of the oil industry, hogwash.

And if that wasn`t enough hogwash for you, we are now accused of being the problem, because Richard believes - "A big part of the weight issue with EV's is dealing with range anxiety for ICE obsessed drivers.

Range, RANGE - Quite frankly my dear, I couldn`t give a damn.

Wait, you mean you're not been getting the Big Oil cheques we've been sending?  :stars

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2023, 02:10:32 PM »

I'm getting fed up with this  :cactus

This topic is going nowhere.
Who's a then ?

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2023, 02:31:45 PM »

"They" used to control the population through religion. When that didnt work any more, it was money. Now it appears to be "greening". We are being brainwashed by those (big business, governments etc) who would like to control us all once more. If we dont believe all the hype, we are being made out as inferior beings. Vested interests are leading us down a technological cul-de-sac. (remember Betamax, far superior technology to VHS, but killed of by big business to safeguard their profits). Will they do the same to Hydrogen, which long term has to be the way forward.

Why is it "greener" to mine and refine lithium rather than coal or oil? I hear they are wanting to extract the stuff in Cornwall now.

I would like to see the calculations that prove EV's are better for the environment taking everything into account. energy used in production, disposal and running of vehicle, mineral extraction, battery production, road wear, provision of charging points etc etc).

The real problem, that no government is prepared to tackle, is the rise in world population. Otherwise we are just running faster and faster to stand still.

And no, I dont read the Daily Mail either.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.