S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit OT - Tyre Prices online vs speaking to a person  (Read 911 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
A bit OT - Tyre Prices online vs speaking to a person
« on: October 25, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »

On Friday I hit a pothole in my "ordinary" car, burst a rear tyre, it'll not hold air at all.  This morning I checked the size and looked on the website of my local "chain" tyre/mot place.  A Goodyear to replace the existing is on special offer, £133 each if I buy two.... not available in stock, Weds at the earliest.  Other brands available, cheapest down in the £125 area.

So I rang, got the manager, didn't mention the website, asked what he could do. Very apologetic that they had no stock but he could get a tyre in this pm, a replacement Goodyear would be £125, budget tyres starting at £80.  ....so the "budget" tyre would be 2/3rd the lowest price shown on their website and even the premium tyre would be cheaper than the advertised "special offer"  without any "buy two to get the deal" nonsense !!

Moral of the story, it pays to actually speak to people rather than rely on website quotes !

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: A bit OT - Tyre Prices online vs speaking to a person
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 02:15:26 PM »

As an aside, I related the tale while getting a haircut this lunchtime, the barber, a Hungarian, said that to pass the Hungarian MOT both tyres on the same axle must be the same make and model, instant fail if not.  Actually, that seems sensible - I'd imagine differences in tread pattern would affect how the tyre behaved under hard braking ?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »

I have just changed all 4 tyres on our camper because the front 2 were due and the rears wouldnt be far behind and I wanted all the same sort.  The land rover has all the same tyres and anotrher 3 spares the same.

In France tyres on the same axle are supposed to be the same, what happens if you need to use your spare if all your tyres are not the same?

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:28 PM »

....my "ordinary" car....   A Goodyear to replace the existing is on special offer, £133 each if I buy two....   

Not so ordinary perhaps ..........  what car  ???

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 11:20:39 PM »

Total agree best deals locally are going to the independent tyre and exhaust place in town and ask the owner what deals he has on currently. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.