S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retention of a cherished Registration Number v  (Read 1436 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Retention of a cherished Registration Number v
« on: June 28, 2021, 10:25:03 AM »

I want to sell my MGB GT  but I wanted to put the registration number on retention first so I sent an application to DVLA
 It was returned this moy stating that to do so, the vehicle must have a current MOT even though legally it doesn't need one. There's no mention of this on the application forms.
Utter bureaucracy!!!!!
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
Re: Retention of a cherished Registration Number v
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »

From their own website

Eligibility
The vehicle must:

be registered with DVLA in the UK
be able to move under its own power
be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
be available for inspection
DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

So, needs to be "available for inspection" only. They dont know their own rules  ???

Looks as though you can do it online. I wonder if that produces a different result.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »

I tried on line Worf and it wouldn't let me. I started working on the MG before mobility problems put a stop to it. After my hip replacement operation I'm slowly becoming more mobile so I reckon I'll have to wait until I can start again to investigate the overheating problem.
If I sell it now the registration number will belong to the new owner and I will have lost the right to it.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »

They are being really difficult about taking cherished numbers off classic cars at th e moment.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6230
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 03:16:35 PM »

Is it a private Reg or Standard for the year?

If private surely you could move it to another vehicle?

I feel your pain.  :stars
1970 88" Petrol Hard Top - Undergoing Practical Rebuild.
Ex-pat Geordie living in Norfolk.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »

How far away is it from getting an MoT?
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »

We only have ourselves to blame for the red tape.

back in the day "dealers" used to put numbers on mopeds and things like mowers.
Over the years the DVLA have cracked down on the misuse of the rues.

:shakeinghead
Who's a then ?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 04:41:43 PM »

Is it a private Reg or Standard for the year?

If private surely you could move it to another vehicle?

I feel your pain.  :stars
It's what DVLA class as a "Cherished Number." It's 4 numbers and 2 letters from 1963 and worth about £2k. The Land Rover also has  a cherished 1963 plate of 3 numbers and 3 letters, so I want to put the MG registration on retention before I sell it. I was going to sell it "as is" but I can't do that now.
As for an MOT it's immobile as before my hip collapse earlier this year I had started to work on it. As I had a new hip fitted earlier this month I'm slowly getting more mobile so I've decided to carry on with the MG once I have full mobility.
I rang a mate who regularly transfers registration numbers and his wife reckons it's to stop anyone buying a driveable but un MOTable wreck to get a valuable registration number.
Once I've sorted it out I'll get a mate who runs his own car repair business to check it over then he'll take it to our local classic friendly MOT station for a test. Of course it will probably be easier to sell with a current MOT.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 05:35:06 PM »

The last time an acquaintance of mine* needed to transfer a registration number off a vehicle that was complete, but in need of a lot of work for an MoT he took his local friendly MoT tester for a pub lunch and explained the problem. After giving over an assurance that the vehicle would not be returned to the road, or sold, before the new MoT had either expired or had been superseded by a thorough and proper one, it was duly passed. That pass though, had a list of advisories as long as your arm. 😉

*cough cough.

angello

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6659
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »

Neil, this would be worth a phonecall to the DVLA, as they have either advised you incorrectly OR changed the rules without publishing the update. My money is on your application having landed on someone's desk who isn't familiar with the rules and you've been incorrectly advised...

You CAN remove a number off an MoT exempt classic car without having it MoT'd first.

The car DOES need to be currently taxed (or SORN'd less than 5 years) and needs to be able to move under it's own power, but it does not need a current MoT.

The DVLA will arrange to inspect any car that qualifies but hasn't been MoT'd to verify the details and check the chassis number etc. but the car doesn't need to be 'roadworthy' or even complete, so long as it moves under its own steam and is taxed (or SORN'd).

I would advise you to revisit this and re-send the application as you are allowed to do exactly as you are trying to do within the currently published rules, so long as you meet the criteria set out.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »

There is a contradiction there, in the eyes of DVLA if it is taxed it is fit for the road.  Road tax is to allow you todrive it, also it should be insured, they do randomchecks on vehicles.

Peter

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 06:39:47 PM »

Sounds as if they are trying to prevent people swapping the plates off a "wreck in a hedge" vs the fully functional - but have not quite worked through the logic of intermediate states of existence. I once investigated buying a S1 fairly local to here that had a small tree growing through the middle of it, but the elderly owner would not hear of selling as a nephew had told them "the plate alone is worth £5000"...  Given the Birmabright of the doors had rotted I doubt it ever made it back onto the road.

The whole game with plates is silly, they should just give up, recognise that its a money-making opportunity for the Govt and allow people to freely move/buy any plates for a price. Even previously used plates could be sold with a mark-up, the data linked to the new VIN. Maybe their systems are not up to the job ? 
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »

Angello, I tried phoning DVLA  but "they're not taking phone calls because of the current strike action."
It'll be a while before I can start working on the MG so I'll try phoning them again later.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 07:29:53 AM »

The whole game with plates is silly, they should just give up, recognise that its a money-making opportunity for the Govt and allow people to freely move/buy any plates for a price. Even previously used plates could be sold with a mark-up, the data linked to the new VIN. Maybe their systems are not up to the job ?

I agree it's silly Gene, though I'd personally like to see the opposite approach and put a stop to the ridiculous trend for "cherished/vanity" plates by making all registrations non transferable so the plate dies with the vehicle, and those who wish to stick their name on their vehicle could still do so with tasteful personalised sun visor strips e.g. Bazzer+Shazzer, or a plate in the windscreen as many truckers do now, though no doubt the Chelsea tractor driver would rather pay thousands for a plate with their initials on rather than a tenner for the same thing at the local auto factors.... :stars
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.