S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gasket 2.25 petrol - some coolant holes blocked  (Read 2448 times)

Andy Hunt

Head gasket 2.25 petrol - some coolant holes blocked
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »

Hi.  I have a question about the differences between the head gaskets for a 2.25 petrol and diesel.  I have a petrol engine and head gasket ERC6380, but the gasket seems to partially/totally block three coolant passages between block and head.  These are near #1 cylinder opposite side to the intake/exhaust manifold.  Judging by pictures on line, the diesel head gasket does not seen to do this - i.e. it has holes in all the right places to ensure all water passages are unobstructed.  Why is this, are these coolant passages not needed in the petrol version of the engine and for production reasons the two blocks/heads were just manufactured the same??  But to my real question, is it OK to use the petrol engine head gasket that obscures these three coolant passages?  Must be something others have come across and addressed before.  Thanks for your help in advance.  Andy.

Davy61

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4811
  • .:
Re: Head gasket 2.25 petrol - some coolant holes blocked
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »

Hi Andy,

This is perfectly normal and puzzled me as well when I changed the head gasket in mine a couple of years ago.
Apparently land rover changed the hole sizes to ensure a more uniform cooling of the engine
I believe that it is mentioned somewhere in the service letters.

:tiphat
Davy,,

Davy61

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4811
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »

Little addition,
Just found my spec guide by James Taylor, according to this the head gasket with the "modified water-transfer holes" was introduced in September 1967
 :tiphat

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »

Here's a copy of the Land Rover Service Newsletter with the "explanation".

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Andy Hunt

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:53:12 PM »

Thanks.  But the attachment is actually talking about a different issue.  It is explaining enlarged holes towards the rear of the engine to increase cooling in high ambient temperature environments.  My issue is at the front of the engine and is about the petrol head gasket blocking three coolant passages.  The petrol gasket seems to restrict/eliminate flow, whereas the diesel gasket seems to allow free flow.  Seems odd to me.  Want to know if I am not going to cause a problem for myself by using the petrol gasket.  I will try to take some photos later and post them.

Andy Hunt

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 04:05:28 AM »

These pics should help explain

Andy Hunt

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 02:19:13 PM »

… referencing my previous reply with the photos..

The first picture shows the three coolant holes I am concerned about (my middle arrow is pointing to the wrong hole - I meant to point to the coolant hole not the bolt hole!)

The second picture shows the head gasket overlaid on the block.  Again the arrows point to the coolant holes that are partially/completely obscured.  This is my curiosity.

The third picture just tries to show both block and gasket side by side.

So - anyone have any idea of whether this is 'normal' and whether it will cause any issues to use this gasket?  Again I note that the diesel head gasket seems to have these three coolant holes completely unobstructed.

thanks
Andy

twomokes

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 13
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »

I recently replaced my head gasket 2.25 petrol) which was fitted in 2003, same composite style gasket as yours with the same hole arrangements. In all those years I have not had any overheating issues and the motors has toured from The Welsh Borders to the New Forest, Surrey, Yorkshire and the Lake District.
Res tam malae sunt quam putas, et inimici re vera te persequuntur

"quotEducatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis"quot

Member No13

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »

This pattern of grey composite gasket is what Turner Engineering supply/recommend for petrols.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.