S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated Screen Group Purchase  (Read 63119 times)

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
Re: Heated Screen Group Purchase
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »

PMd you

Ajstars

« Reply #316 on: September 29, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »

If there are any more screens available I would love a pair - based near Gatwick.

Hopeydaze

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2614
  • .:
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »

I've been a bit lazy about this - I've paid for a pair of screens and loom.  I have the loom (thanks), however I haven't done anything about arranging collection/delivery of the screens.

Does anyone know who i should contact?  I'm based mostly in Bath although work means I am often in Reading - if this is relevant

JonA

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4778
  • .:
« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »

Not the only one, me too.
I'm based near Cheddar, but frequently in Bristol and Bath.
have some space for storage if it helps with relaying south / west from me.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2020, 09:18:35 AM »

I've been a bit lazy about this - I've paid for a pair of screens and loom.  I have the loom (thanks), however I haven't done anything about arranging collection/delivery of the screens.

Does anyone know who i should contact?  I'm based mostly in Bath although work means I am often in Reading - if this is relevant

The SW grouping is the next one to go forward. I am waiting on one remaining payment to go through (Andy needs to send Neil the payment details).

It is very useful that you are often in Reading - there is a set to get to Thatcham which had been causing me some head scratching, particularly now that Newbury is cancelled.

There is also a sort of extension group in Wiltshire/the New Forest/Surrey which I need to figure out, but if we don't go into deeper lockdown by October 14th I may be able to resolve that one.

Alec

Tenbellies

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5951
  • .:
« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »

Hi
   Picked mine up from terry yesterday along with deans & Paul’s.my thanks to the members who organised the purchasing and ordering etc,lovely job :-*.Paul I have yours in storage until you are able to organise something due to your lockdown.nice to meet you terry must try to keep in touch and you dean
          Atb les

Sheppy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #321 on: September 30, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »

Yes thanks to all who arranges the purchase and logistics and thanks Les for collecting them, nice to meet you to.
Thanks
D

Will Buck

• Just finished a 3-year project: 1961 SWB petrol
« Reply #322 on: September 30, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »

Thanks everyone who organised this - much appreciated.  Are there any fitting instructions/advice out there?  Deafening silence over on the FB group!  I particularly would value advice on how/where to take the wire through the glass retaining strip.  Thanks
PS - does the relay that I bought along with the screens include a timer?

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #323 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »

PS - does the relay that I bought along with the screens include a timer?

Yes - it is a combined timer/relay - on for 10 minutes.

You should have the instructions for the wiring in the bag the wiring kit came in, with operating instructions as well.

These screens are different to the last group buy, with the wires protruding from a different place in the glass, I think  ???  so unless someone has already fitted their new screens and is willing to advise, then it's a "suck it and see" job   :tiphat
It should be fairly obvious once you place the new screens in the frames - I suspect you will just need to trim a bit off each end of the lower aluminium angle trim.

It's best to remove your screen frame from the vehicle completely, and do the work on a table protected by a thick blanket or cardboard.

There were plenty of posts and advice on the old forum from the last group buy - I wonder if Wittsend might be able to re-post some of the pertinent ones on here?

One of the most important checks though, was to make sure any proud welds on the inside corners of the frame are ground down flush - some folk who missed that found the screens cracked when tightening the screws in the aluminium trim   >:(

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »

How to fit your new (heated) screens:-

The job is best done flat on the kitchen table.

You need to check and make sure there are no raised bits or globs of galvanising that can press on a point on the glass.
Grind them flat. This will help stop the glass cracking if it's under strain from the alloy retaining strips.

I use a few of those foam packers/spacer that come with the screens to distance the glass off the bottom of the frame.
Or, you can use a few short strips of ¼" x ¼" balsa wood.
The spacers keep the glass from moving down under its own weight.
Each screen has a "common" bus top and bottom. Depending on your preference you can jiggle/position the screen so the silver foil bus is even top to bottom, or more to the top, or more to the bottom.

(Not sure if I've explained this very well. When you test fit the screens you'll see what I mean.)

Back in the day we used DumDum - sadly no longer with us, but the odd tin does turn up on eBay - this stuff lasts for years  :first

I think nowadays you can use a silicon mastic (Silkaflex EBT) as used for gutters etc. It sets but still has a little give.

On the alloy retainers you should use the Land Rover rubber glazing strip (pn: 330914), it helps spread the load.
Screw the strips down evenly and don't gorilla tighten them down.

Keep the screen flat for a couple of days to let the sealant harden off properly before fitting the screen.
Use a model craft knife/razor blade to trim away any excess sealant that has oozed out of the from - particularly on the outside face of the screen.
Use a good glass cleaner - Windolene  :first to clean off any finger prints and use RainX treatment on the outside face of the screen to repel rainwater.

I've fitted 3 sets of screens like this and had no problems so far - touch wood.

Each screen draws about 8.5 amps.
I solder an earthing ring tag to the wire tail that exits the glass to the outside of the vehicle.
Here's one I did earlier:-

The 2 centre screen wire tails can be lead centrally down the back of the dash and it then depends if you are wiring/switching  them separately or jointly and/or using Robin's timer relay system.

:window

Who's a then ?

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #325 on: September 30, 2020, 10:08:12 PM »

Thanks Alan    :cheers

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2020, 10:49:11 PM »

If there are any more screens available I would love a pair - based near Gatwick.

There may be - I'll keep you informed.

Alec

Sheppy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »

Thanks for the info wittsend,
I’m guessing it doesn’t matter which connection you put the pos or neg to on the screen?
Thanks
D

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2020, 03:22:11 PM »

No - they are not polarity sensitive/concious.

I earth the outers to each end of the bulkhead and feed 12V to the inner/central leads from whatever switching or relays you care to use.

:window

Sheppy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #329 on: October 01, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »

Many thanks yet again :)
D
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.