S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: .. Selling Parts Out Of UK ..  (Read 4496 times)

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
.. Selling Parts Out Of UK ..
« on: February 08, 2021, 12:18:34 PM »

Hi I wonder if anyone has any useful experience of selling vehicle parts from the UK and into the EU in these Post Brexit times ???

I'll likely be putting a few things on eBay again in the near future and as I seem to get overseas buyers at a proportion of 30% to 70% UK you can see my interest.

With all this talk on the news about goods being returned to sender and hit with various fees as a consequence I'm keen to avoid getting lumbered.

Thanks,

Geoff  :tiphat

P.S. I normally use agents such as Interparcel and Parcelforce

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
Re: .. Selling Parts Out Of UK ..
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »

Are you selling as a company or privately, if a company then you will need an EORI number which is usually made up of your VAT number plus GB prefixed and 000 after your VAT number. VAT doesn't apply to EU sales now as they are classed as a Z VAT code, duty will be payable by your customer unless the country of manufacture is the same as the country of supply, i.e - Made in the UK (you will also need a tariff code to confirm this). I'm not sure where you stand on second-hand goods you would need to check with the GOV site.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »

Maybe the way to do it is to just only sell through the Global Shipping Programme. Your goods get sent to a UK centre who send it on at the buyer's expense. I've sent stuff all over the world using that and haven't had to complete any forms, so I assume the GSP does that all on our behalf? Seems to work for me...!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

geoff

• .:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »

I'll be selling as a private individual on a casual basis, eg having a clearout of Land Rover parts and a few motorcycle bits gathered over the years.

Thanks for the reply  :tiphat

geoff

• .:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

Not tried the Ebay shipping system before will have a read up about it, are there extra costs involved with them compared to normal couriers ?

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:31 PM »

You need to watch Ebay as they are charge VAT on orders sold into the EU, I would say for the time being to keep it in the UK.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »

This whole "reducing red tape and bureaucracy" thing is going well...

:stars
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

geoff

• .:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »

You need to watch Ebay as they are charge VAT on orders sold into the EU.

You mean they charger the seller the vat ?  :agh on top of other fees  :agh

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »

This whole "reducing red tape and bureaucracy" thing is going well...

:stars
It's a sack of *&%^$**e I'm afraid, I've got an order in Austria that is a kit of valve parts which some are made in Austria and some in China, so I would pay duty on the Chinese parts but not the Austrian, plus on entry in the UK I will be hit with vat which is claimed back. What made matters worse was the manufacturer was not going to include a confirmation of the parts that were made in Austria so HMRC being what they are would have hit us for duty on those items as well.

As this is a third party shipment going to the Philippines we are now shipping directly to the client from the manufacturers warehouse in Austria, I'll produce an invoice and keep the kit as one item and ship under the manufacture name based in Austria - the only downside to this is you can't consolidate an order with other items plus you cannot double check the goods prior to be despatched.

We are just treating the EU like any other country now and ship on a third party basis which we do all the time out of the US.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »

You mean they charger the seller the vat ?  :agh on top of other fees  :agh
No the Buyer

geoff

• .:
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »

Thanks  :tiphat

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »

I only sell as a private seller. Its not worth doing it commercially unless you are prepared to do it properly and full time. I quite enjoy the messing about, but sometimes it can get just a bit tiresome! Global Shipping Programme seems like the way to go if its private sales, then the buyer carries all the costs.

2DieselMan

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4082
  • .:
Selling Parts Out Of UK ..
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 02:12:07 PM »

What about Buying Second Hand Parts from EU Countries?

From what I understand either of the following ways UK 20% VAT needs to be paid to the HMRC.   Is this correct?

1. The EU Company need to be registered to Pay UK 20% VAT to HRMC and then the UK Buyer pays the invoice with UK Import 20% VAT Paid by the EU company

or

2. The EU Company are not registered to Pay UK VAT to HRMC So the UK Buyer pays the invoice minus the UK 20% VAT and then the UK Buyer has to pay the Import VAT and Courier Company Handling/Processing Fees typically £10.

Either way it appears now very expense as an individual to import UK good as the UK 20% VAT and any specific Commodity Import Duty, Courier Company Handling/Processing Fees need to be paid on the total cost, Item Cost & Shipping Costs.

From what I have read it is the total cost, Item Cost & Shipping Costs that matters and there is no difference between New or Used/Second-hand goods.

Is anyone is an expert in Import and Export - all advice welcome, thanks

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »

^^^^ This is going to be an utter PITA. I've bought a number of parts to keep my old Merc running from EU based Ebay sellers, looks like that's going to be more expensive and more red-tape, if they can be bothered selling to us at all.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
Re: Selling Parts Out Of UK ..
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 02:29:38 PM »

What about Buying Second Hand Parts from EU Countries?

From what I understand either of the following ways UK 20% VAT needs to be paid to the HMRC.   Is this correct?

1. The EU Company need to be registered to Pay UK 20% VAT to HRMC and then the UK Buyer pays the invoice with UK Import 20% VAT Paid by the EU company

or

2. The EU Company are not registered to Pay UK VAT to HRMC So the UK Buyer pays the invoice minus the UK 20% VAT and then the UK Buyer has to pay the Import VAT and Courier Company Handling/Processing Fees typically £10.

Either way it appears now very expense as an individual to import UK good as the UK 20% VAT and any specific Commodity Import Duty, Courier Company Handling/Processing Fees need to be paid on the total cost, Item Cost & Shipping Costs.

From what I have read it is the total cost, Item Cost & Shipping Costs that matters and there is no difference between New or Used/Second-hand goods.

Is anyone is an expert in Import and Export - all advice welcome, thanks
According to the EU the rules are as follows:

For EU-based companies, VAT is chargeable on most sales and purchases of goods within the EU. In such cases, VAT is charged and due in the EU country where the goods are consumed by the final consumer. Likewise, VAT is charged on services at the time they are carried out in each EU country.

VAT isn't charged on exports of goods to countries outside the EU. In these cases, VAT is charged and due in the country of import and you don't need to declare any VAT as an exporter. However, when exporting goods you will need to provide documentation as proof that the goods were transported outside the EU. Such proof could be provided by presenting a copy of an invoice, a transportation document or an import customs record to your tax authorities.

You will need to provide this proof to be able to fully deduct any receivable VAT that you have paid in a previous related transaction leading up to the export. Insufficient documentation may mean you won't have the right to a VAT reimbursement when exporting goods.

As I said Ebay are screwing things up.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.