S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place for spare wheel  (Read 3202 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Best place for spare wheel
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2021, 08:38:02 PM »

Just a thought but :hummm
What is the narrowest 16" tyre you han buy that is as high as a 750 or a 235/85 so could be used as a spare for 100+ miles or so  but take up less storage space than a 235/85 ???

I suspect its a 750. Almost 2in narrower than the average 235.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2021, 09:05:50 PM »

Could you write an article with drawings and photos for Built2last?

Peter
Do you mean me re tailgate ?
Chris

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2021, 10:10:34 PM »

Yes tailgate and wheel mounting
Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2021, 10:29:52 PM »

Not much to it really , 40x40 box profile , size taken from the tailgate aperture , the actual wheel mount is from an old discovery , 5/16th bolts nuts and washers from eBay , all the other bits off the old tailgate , if I were to make it again Iwould make the frame 2 mm lower and fit a galvanised angle strip on the top to emulate the original
The corners were all mitred and cut with basic angle grinder,  welds ground back , the backing plate was pop riveted on with the worst and most useless skin pinching tool in christendom . Then hinges put on chassis gate wedged in position  and marked for drilling ,
Wheel carrier  clamped on with wheel  to make sure it would fully open , painted and fitted , the folk on  here would easily make one of these, there might be a small market for a galv finish item ready to psint and fit , I'm happy with mine and it frees up the load area,
Chris

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »

Hi,

I continue to struggle with my new PC, so  I stopped reading at the end of Page 1, Most of my rebuilds have been S2 SWB, but fitted with S1 88" bodies.

All of them carried the spare wheel on the tub floor, along with my small trolley jack, and tool box ... BUT ... I also carried two German Shepherds.

So I "nailed" a length of 6" x 1" timber along the side of both wheel boxes, which gave me a 1" step up to the top of the wheel boxes .... just right for supporting a sheet of 1" thick WBP plywood, approx 36" x 40", The dogs appreciated the 60" x 40" unobstructed deck. My tools were hidden from sight.

Occasionally pedestrians would turn their heads when all the hidden but unrestrained avoirdupoir made it's presence heard ... probably something to do with hitting a brick-built sleeping policeman at the mandatory 30mp.

Given the financial option, I would have fitted a swing-away rear carrier. I briefly pondered on constructing a carrier, hinged off the front bumper, but to carry the wheel above the bonnet.  :stars That idea probably needed more thought, probably not unsurmountable, but I didn't bother.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.