S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Young Persons Insurance  (Read 2431 times)

craigrobertson

Young Persons Insurance
« on: September 12, 2021, 02:08:36 PM »

Looking for some advice.

I am looking to try and get insured on a classic policy on a 1970 Series 2a (with a newer 19J engine).

Trouble is that I am 20 years old and it seems no-one wants to insure me even on a very limited mileage policy!! I have a clean license and over 3 years full licence.

Does anyone have any suggestions for who might be willing to ensure me, either in my name or on a parents policy. I have tried the normal searches (comparethemarket, Adrian flux, PeterBest etc) and all want two or three grand a year.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
Re: Young Persons Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »

Where you live, and whether the vehicle is parked on the road (as opposed to in a garage or on a driveway) might be inflationary.
Also note that insurers can get 'rather sharp' if the insured (father, mother, etc) is NOT the main driver.
I believe it's actually a legal offence.

I understand 3 years full licence, but have you had any sort of motor insurance before, in your name?

Regards.

craigrobertson

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »

Parked in garage overnight, house not on main road.

Three years full license and since I started driving have had insurance in my name with myself the main driver, so over three years NCB.

Starting to think its unlikely anyone would insure me (only looking to do occasional drives with dad as main driver), but thought I would ask around to see if anyone had had the same issue before

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:07:02 PM »

Also note that insurers can get 'rather sharp' if the insured (father, mother, etc) is NOT the main driver.

it is a type of fraud called fronting
Fronting is a type of insurance fraud. It usually happens when a more experienced driver (one of your parents, for example) insures a car in their name, but a younger driver (you) actually uses the car most often. The aim of this is to reduce the young driver's premium.
I wonder if the fact land rovers seem to be stolen a fair bit these days is having an effect on insurance rates.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »

Try NFU. My son built up 5 yrs NCD from age of 17 driving a Series One.
However, that was some years ago and things may have changed.
Think he became a member, although we didnt have a farm. Countryside member maybe ???

"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »

You my have to go with a standard policy, most classic insurances assume. You have another vehicle as your main transport.
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »

Starting to think its unlikely anyone would insure me (only looking to do occasional drives with dad as main driver), but thought I would ask around to see if anyone had had the same issue before
OK, the other information is to your benefit, but are you also looking for a policy where the mileage per year can be to an agreed limit?
I'm not in your age group, but you may find that a limited mileage would be of benefit.
I'm not sure what mileage limits are offered to young drivers, but 3,000 miles might be something to aim for.
Also choosing a high excess, say £1,000, might help.

Have you asked about these policies which include a tracker / sensor being fitted to your vehicle, to alert a 'monitor' to inappropriate behavour?
I was told over 12 months ago that the local Highway Authority had them fitted, and that a driver towing an equipment trailer had been called in having entered a roundabout 'too fast'. No accident resulted, but the driver did have to explain himself to his boss.

I also recall being told that insurance didn't really start reducing until you were over 25, so while you might be able to control excess costs, you may have to wait a few years for a real cost reduction to come into effect.

Regards.

craigrobertson

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 04:02:02 PM »

Thanks,

The 25 year old part seems to fit with the research I've done and quotes I've been given. Seems to be that even on 2500 miles limit and 1k excess insurers want over 2.5k for the year!! falls to about £300 a year when I turn 25 which is an astonishing difference.

When looking at blackboxes (if that's what your referring to) the insurers I've looked at won't install them on cars over 10 years old unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 04:23:03 PM »

Might just be worth looking at van insurance? My niece had been happily driving round in a Defender 130 crew cab box on the back. When her partner changed it for a standard 110 station wagon, no-one would touch her for insurance (at 24) until she was over 25!

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »

This is completely true, but when our children were first getting their own insurance, rather than being named drivers on my car, we found that having one or both of us parents as named drivers on their insurance did reduce the cost quite a lot.

Also it allows us to move their car if it's in the way (think Butterflies) or to take it to the garage etc.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »

it is a type of fraud called fronting

It is fronting if you conceal the facts from the insurance company. But there is no legal obligation for the person taking out the policy to be the main driver. My father had a discounted insurance policy because of his job. But my mother was the main driver - in fact my father couldn't drive and never learned, but he still built up a NCD as the policyholder.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 09:48:32 AM »

Have you spoken to Adrian Flux on the phone or just electronically ?  You may get a better response on the phone ? ..... they actually say in their blurb that they are good for young drivers.

Certainly your age is against you, my youngest had to endure several years of £1k plus insurance for even a Clio. It helped to find a company that worked with "black box" fitted - constant monitoring of driving technique and a "not after 10pm" curfew, that took several hundred off the price. Co-op I think ?

This situation with the Insurers does not help with any suggestions that the Club should be looking to increase membership among younger drivers...  :shakeinghead
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Simon1959

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6929
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »

I wanted to get my daughter (18 with own car/insurance) onto my policy as a named driver and I tried Adrian Flux. No chance. I seem to recall it was 21+

craigrobertson

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 10:22:16 AM »

Adrian Flux looking at 1.2k which is painful, but better than a lot I have seen.

Seems to be a slight decrease at 21 and then significant at 25 so might just have to wait a few months and try again.

Thanks for the suggestions

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 10:37:51 AM »

NFU seem to have tightened up a bit. Your parents would have to be members by the looks of it..
https://www.nfumutual.co.uk/insurance/motor-insurance/car-insurance/young-drivers-scheme/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.