S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Landy transporter  (Read 3948 times)

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
Landy transporter
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:45:16 PM »

Hi, I'm not sure which section this goes in so I'll start here. After a 3 month wait to get my LWB back from the restorer I now find myself in a bit of a situation. I've now been told that I shouldn't drive the completely rebuilt 6 pot the 70+ miles home instead I should get it transported, meanwhile the restorer's normal guy can no longer do it. So I'm looking for a company who can pick up my SWB in Oxford and take it down to Kent and pick up my LWB and bring it back here. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a driver and transporter or at least a good place to start looking.

Thanks

Andrew
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
Re: Landy transporter
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »

... I've now been told that I shouldn't drive the completely rebuilt 6 pot the 70+ miles home instead I should get it transported, ...

Why not?

At some point you are going to want to drive it - so why not drive it home   ???
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 05:53:01 PM »

What it apparently going to happen if you drive it? :stars

Treat it gently - keep the revs reasonably low, smooth throttle actions and don't labour the engine too much. Hopefully the 70 miles is varied A/B road driving rather than just down the motorway. Simply put - don't drive it like a hooligan and it should be fine, providing it has been put together well!

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »

Why not?

At some point you are going to want to drive it - so why not drive it home   ???

I was hoping that would be the case but the guy is now saying that it needs to be run in and the trip from Kent to Oxford is to much for a very first run on a rebuilt engine. I'd be happy to take any advice on that.

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »

I think that is old thinking, nowadays it's break it in like you are going drive it. Then consider it's a Land Rover, Drive it a couple of miles and check for leaks, take the side roads home, check it again in 10 miles and again in 30 etc. Use the drive home as part of the break in period.  My $.02

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 06:27:46 PM »

I think that is old thinking, nowadays it's break it in like you are going drive it. Then consider it's a Land Rover, Drive it a couple of miles and check for leaks, take the side roads home, check it again in 10 miles and again in 30 etc. Use the drive home as part of the break in period.  My $.02

That makes sense to me, I'll put that to him and if I start getting more excuses then I might start to worry a little.

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »

One presumes it has been road tested for a few miles to ensure the basics are correct, in which case a 70 mile run would be an ideal start to running in a rebuilt engine.
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »

:ditto to all responses ...

What better way to run the engine in.

One assume the vehicle is road worthy, brakes and steering working.

Drive it home, don't labour the engine.

You might want to change the oil and filter after about 500 miles.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 06:49:18 PM »

I'd agree with the advice from Calum & Genocache, with the safety net of taking out, if it didn't already exist, membership of a roadside recovery organisation.
If you want to be really safety first, do the first 50 miles going 25 in the wrong direction (away from home), drive the next 25 back to the restorer so he can cast his experienced eye and ear over it. My numbers aren't meant to be precise, merely stated to illustrate the principle. If 50 miles is too much for you, reduce to 25 or 30, but make it more than a spin round the block.
Point out to him that he is then assured of the quality of workmanship of the person who did the 1st run check (himself).

It might not be pleasing to read, but his concern may not be that his workmanship is not up to scratch, but that he thinks the drivers (your) analytical skill is 'unproven', so an unnoticed simple problem may be left to become severe.

I have done something similar, finishing the rebuild of a MGB engine the day before I was to drive 220 miles to South Wales.
The early life failure was a thermostat stuck closed, noticed within 2 miles of home. Immediate return to home, new thermostat, and I was on my way again. The interesting bit was a DSJ inspired valve clearance check in a tree shaded layby on the way home.

Have fun.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »

If you still want to transport it , try the firm I work for Ecomotive Logistics, based In Leicester . They have a website and Facebook presence . Very professional with good quality equipment and fully insured .

Please remove this post if not allowed .

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 08:24:47 PM »

The post is allowed  :tiphat

Old80

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5817
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »

ENDE ltd
Nick Dent 07721 377331
[email protected]
Based in Stroud Gloucestershire
Good guy to deal with, I used him earlier this year to transportation my 109” from London to Herefordshire very professional operation.

martinrh

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6601
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »

When I bought my Land Rover I hired a car transporter for the 300 mile round trip. Easy to use and drive and worked out really well.
I rented from Abacus and if I recall correctly if was about £150 all in last year.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, there's a lot of good ideas and information there. I knew this was the best place to start. Hopefully piccies by the weekend.

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:17 PM »

http://www.abtrailers.co.uk/

These guys do all my landy moving as the owner is an enthusiast with a few series 1s and 2s.  Handily also based at a mid point  between your  two locations.

Give them a call and explain what you want as it's not offered up front
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.