S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A "pie in the sky" guestion. (Dreams of a battery powered S2)  (Read 801 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
A "pie in the sky" guestion. (Dreams of a battery powered S2)
« on: November 04, 2021, 05:51:05 AM »

Hi, 

It will probably never "come to pass", but would. anybody here be able to comment on the pros and cons of galvanising a Series axle case? I have spent too many hours digging at grotty axles with screw-drivers, in previous projects.

I'm still thinking dreaming about going semi-solar.

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
Re: A "pie in the sky" guestion. (Dreams of a battery powered S2)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 06:26:23 AM »

You'd need to machine the stub axle and diff mating surfaces back to the right place - easy enough for the diff as the axle case would fit on a fairly small mill. Stub axle mating faces would be a bit tricker - probably best handled in a lathe, but would need to be a big 'un!

If dipped vertically there shouldn't be much risk of warpage, I doubt it would do any harm to the casing.

Given the weight of them it wouldn't be a particulary cheap endeavour though. Much as I like galvanising stuff, I'm not sure I'd bother with an axle case. It's only the thin sheet metal pan that really rots out on them, and I've only had it happen once out of however many rusty old sheds I've owned.
pictures, and words

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 08:23:25 AM »

I used to think about how to future proof parts/jobs but as I've got older my only thought is how to make things see me out and not be to concerned about issues future owners might have.
Perhaps selfish but perhaps future owners only want to "thrash it round fields", as had been said to me by a chancier eying my cherished Land Rover :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your thoughts. How do they galvanise farm gates ... I think 3 metres wide is not uncommon ... probably 16G mild steel pipe.

My father once got involved in "sorting" a 10ft diameter petro-chemincal column with warp-welded 3" flanges at each end. The 1" Whit bolts snapped before they could pull everything together. Huge penalty clause for late delivery.

Dad cobbled a pantograph device to wedged into the column, with a grindstone (motor and stone) rotating round the rim. Surface grinding a 10ft rim, in the transport yard.  :aghThe Works Manager commented "You'll know how to do it quicker next time!"  (It was a different occasion that Dad "decked" the Works Manager ... and kept his job.)

That firm made the propellors for the R101 ... and never looked back.

PS

I used to think about how to future proof parts/jobs but as I've got older my only thought is how to make things see me out

I have similar thoughts, but maybe we have different ideas about when it will all happen. I'm thinking along the lines of a "foreseeable future proof" Series, with a drop-in subframe, to sit on all four engine/gearbox mounts (removable X-member?), to contain whatever battery powered motor is available. I'm happy to live with needing an MOT, but need to retain sufficient points to avoid an SVA.... new chassis, original axles, steering, and suspension ... how many Brownie points is that? I believe there are "opt out" clauses in the IVA requirements, that nobody seems to have "tested".  Conversion to battery power might ,arguably, be one of them. I would prefer to avoid using the original "transmission", but if needs must.

Dream on!

PS. How many MOT centres will remain viable if everybody goes out and buys a new electric car next year? Having to replace a full set of tyres may concentrate a few minds.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 09:13:03 AM »

Hi again (Sorry!)

Thoughts of a hose-pipe driven generator to charge my batteries ... but then I pondered on the cost of running a bath, or flushing the WC. There is an argument in favour of gentlemen's "scatter cans".

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.