S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to Windows 11  (Read 1296 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Upgrading to Windows 11
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:00:36 PM »

A big subject.

Easiest way is to buy a new computer/device.

Anything made after 2016 ish might have TMP2.0 and secure boot. Or a new CPU or BOIS upgrade should enable you to upgrade to Windows 11.
Scary stuff, so you could ask a computer repair shop to do it.

If you don't want to, or can't upgrade the BIOS then a Goooooooooooooogle search should provide you with a set of instructions whereby you can download a Windows 11 image and install.

Which should/might lead you to here:-
Upgrade to Windows 11

And there are some YouTube vids on how to make the upgrade.

You can stick with Windows 10 for a little longer, but eventually Microsoft will withdraw support and upgrades for this OS.

I quite like Windows 11 and it runs well for me.

:geek
Who's a then ?

stuart

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5066
Re: Upgrading to Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »

win 11 is quicker than 10 but its a mine field , win 11 has issues with Nvidia Kelpa graphics cards  such as the gt210 and gt 710 , it also douse not like some of the intel on board GPU , i dont no what microsofts game it ,  i have been using osx my self since win 7 support ended , it douse look like you can install crome OS on a lot of older pcs , and of cause Ubuntu , 

when you turn on  TPM and Secure boot i can Kill win 10 , however when this happend to be i set it all back to off and it went back to 10

My Best sugestion if your going to upgrage , get your self a New SSD and install on that , as this means if you screw it up you can out your old drive back in and your puter still works ,

if enough users would like a how to i can do a vidio on how to upgrade to both Supported and Unsupported hardwere

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »

Looks like your spell check is US :stars
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 06:46:35 PM »

Looks like your spell check is US :stars

That’s just rude.🤔

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 06:54:07 PM »

I will stick with Linux. It don't nag me, patronise me, spy on me, or leave me high and dry.

Chris.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 07:07:23 PM »

Its all Greek to me...? What language are you lot speaking? :stars
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Alice B

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3144
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 07:39:30 PM »

I will stick with Linux. It don't nag me, patronise me, spy on me, or leave me high and dry.

Chris.

Me too

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 06:43:01 AM »

I was still thinking windows 10 was going to be the last version, they seem to have backtracked on that for some reason.

Looks like 10 will be supported for a while yet - 2027 or thereabouts which is probably beyond the design life of most win10 devices anyway.

(And I still have one windows xp device I use that runs fine - I just don’t connect it to the internet)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 09:30:51 AM »

This topic is specifically about upgrading to Microsoft's Windows 11.

We know there are alternative OS, each to their own.
It's a bit like modifying your Land Rover.
What do you expect from your computer ???
Will it run the software packages (apps) that you want to use and are familiar with ?
Will it run quickly and smoothly, connecting to the internet and keeping your data safe ?

Windows 12 is on its way  :first
It's an ever evolving operating system environment.
The world moves on ....
Windows 12: Release Date
New features are expected to be added to Windows 12 in 2021. Microsoft plans to release this product somewhere between April and October of 2022, as previously stated. This suggests that the software’s formal launch and release date are both coming up soon.

If you wish to upgrade to Windows 12, there will be a number of options available to you. Doing updates through Windows Update or ISO files is the first option.

:cheers

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 10:17:48 AM »

It’s been many years since I retired from my job which included providing a level of desktop support for Windows machines however I do occasionally get called to help my neighbours with their IT issues and the latest one involved a Windows 11 upgrade, my elderly next door neighbour can no longer Zoom with her family because both Zoom and Skype can no longer access the microphone or speakers, the camera is fine which puzzles me because I assume that if it’s an accessory issue then the camera is just another accessory. I’m assuming it’s a permissions/security/privacy issue but I never had time to delve any further. I’m so glad I moved everything to Apple when I retired.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 12:17:41 PM »

It’s been many years since I retired from my job  I’m so glad I moved everything to Apple when I retired.

I couldn't agree more with this comment.  I used a Local Government VPN when at work, and then Microsoft.

But the Apple IOS, my MacBook Air, my iPhone have been the best thing I bought into  when I retired 21 years ago.  The MacBook has worked faultlessly for the last 14 years (I'm about to upgrade it), the Apple IOS gets upgraded, but is always recognisable, and the Apple support guys and gals have always been really helpful when I've had a problem, either in-store or at the end of a phone line - and they do ALWAYS call you back when they promise to do so.

Apple's in-store training sessions have been really excellent for me, as Apple's IOS is quite different from MS's,(Though I do think Excel is a better spreadsheet package than Numbers, but for simple day-to-day calculations Numbers is fine), and the training can be one-to-one or in a group.  Both have their advantages.

For a bit of a dumb cluck like me, highly recommended......

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 01:58:37 PM »

:ditto

Couldn't agree more ...

For anyone who claims to be a computer numpty, buy Apple  :mobile

Other computing platforms are available.

As posted the Apple support is 2nd to none.
It's even better if you live near a city with an Apple store that you can visit and get your help/training/advice face-2-face.

I recently upgraded to a new phone and just had to lay new & old side by side and all my data transferred across, no fuss  :first

I run an M1 iMac with a Windows 10 and 11 emulator, as I have legacy software I want to run.
This is my day-2-day machine which I am typing this on now.
I can seamlessly move from Mac to Windows as I please  :first
So I have the best of all worlds.
Think I'll get Linux, and run that through the emulator as well, is Mint any good ???

I also run several Windows machines.

The topic was started to try and help those with Windows 10 machines that they can upgrade to Windows 11 if they can get support.
And if you buy a new computer today it should come with Windows 11 pre-installed.

Older machines will eventually fail and fall off the shelf.
Brand new kit should work straight out of the box, whatever flavour of OS.

:RHD

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 09:12:45 PM »

Think I'll get Linux, and run that through the emulator as well, is Mint any good ???

I run Mint as my daily driver.
I run Windows in a Virtual Machine (Vmware) when I need a specific program, and I have Win 2000, Win XP, and Win 7 VM's, generally each one has a single program installed. Dead fast to spin up and down as required.

My aged mother and aged in-laws also have Mint, mostly because I have to support it and I can't be bothered with what would be the incessant stream of calls about pop ups, permissions, viruses, my icons have moved, the icons have different pictures in them, where the heck as XYZ moved to etc. etc. With Mint, it stays how it was, end of.

Chris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.