S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: future plans of a guy from Pennsylvania  (Read 1963 times)

limestone69

• Chassis welder
  • .:
future plans of a guy from Pennsylvania
« on: July 05, 2020, 12:56:14 AM »

there will be a request for opinions toward the end, but maybe a lot of faff along the way.

I'm 52, and maybe in need of a change.
from the time i was a kid, I've been drawn to all things British.
Music, as a teen. I found the Clash, and a little later a ton of other "imports", my favorite still being The Smiths.
at 19, i finally had enough $ to buy my own car, a Spitfire, which i rebuilt from boxes and drove for 17 years. It lasted until i got married and had the second of my kids. I think a 245 volvo replaced it...
when the kids were a little bigger, I bought a really nice MG Midget. In between , I owned a couple small BSA singles.
If you've been to the states, you probably know that these are terrible choices for the roads here. Even the bigger Triumphs cars like the TR6 make you feel like your life is in danger every second.
The MG left, and i focused on the bikes until my 88 turned up. There's no way to describe my love for this vehicle. It's a "practical" Brit machine.

we're getting to the opinion part, i swear.

My parents are both gone, and my only sister is leaving North Carolina and moving to England with her husband and kids. He's headed back to keep an eye on his parents.
They're headed to a town called Woodham Mortimer, outside of Maldon.

a few years ago, we took the kids on a trip to London (too busy), Watford (Harry Potter fans all), Coventry (yes, on purpose) and Liverpool (thought it was great) but never really got to see the countryside.
Even before the crazy virus situation, I found myself thinking "this is not for me." My wife and i both are considering selling everything and moving to the UK.
I know this forum generally avoids political discussions, but I can't live with what I'm seeing here.

anyway, it's a tough place for a thinking person.
here's the point of my rambling,

how many of you know people who've transplanted from the US?
Hopefully, fabulous wealth is not a requirement. We're members of the shrinking middle class, but should be able to manage a modest place.

we're planning on a trip next summer (fingers crossed) to see what that part of the country is like, but I have beer nearby, and need to start considering our plan.
I'm grateful for any thoughts,

by the way, i'm shipping my bugeye over. I cannot leave it amongst these idiots.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
Re: future plans of a guy from Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:32:00 AM »

Thankyou for the insight, based only on what I've read in the general news, I can see you can be considered 'out of step' with many people in your country.
When I read your post initially the observation that first occured to me was 'are you looking for paid employment?' as I think finding that might be a significant influence on your choice of a UK base.

Re-reading your post, "we're planning on a trip next summer (fingers crossed) to see what that part of the country is like".
You don't say which part, but perhaps that's a deliberate omission at this time. Or did you mean "a town called Woodham Mortimer, outside of Maldon" where your sister and family are headed?

"how many of you know people who've transplanted from the US? ".
I don't know anyone whose done that, or even considered it.

Regards.

Cedric

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2851
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »

Limestone

I have a few US mates who have settled in the UK after serving across here. Most have fallen for a local, and have lived Stateside (or wherever) during their relationships before coming back across the pond. Wherever the family ties are strongest, that seems to decide it for them.

If you can find an area you like that’s within a couple of hours of your sister (close enough for a day trip but too far to turn up unannounced), that might be a good start. I’ve lived in a few parts of the UK (12 houses!), had my 2A at all of them, and have enjoyed them all. I’ve also lived Stateside and in Europe - there are pros and cons for all.

Being a native of Yorkshire, I’d offer that as part of your itinerary for next year. It worked for Bill Bryson, and I’m moving back there next year.

Happy to offer more ideas/advice as you build an itinerary for your trip, and I’m sure you’ll get a chorus of recommendations for all parts of the UK.

Chris

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 08:57:01 AM »

Being a native of Yorkshire, I’d offer that as part of your itinerary for next year. It worked for Bill Bryson, and I’m moving back there next year.
Ha, funnily enough when reading this post I was going suggest the OP reads 'Notes from a small island' is he hasn't already! A good insight of an American's view of British life. I love his books!

I don't blame you for wanting to escape the current political climate over there but it's not much better over here... :'(
I think as a country in terms of the landscape and variety of it, the USA is simply stunning. Can't say I get on with much of the culture personally but again this is almost as varied as the landscape depending on where you visit.

I'd definitely advise trying to see as much of the UK as you can on your visit. It's not too hard to travel to all corners (apart from the traffic). I'd probably echo David's thoughts here with regards to work and maybe suggest that your location be based more on any possible work than proximity to family. It's easier to travel a bit further for the weekend than it is to travel that bit further twice a day on your commute. This is within reason of course - I commute further than most of my workmates (still only around 17 miles each way) but the place where we work isn't really where I'd want to live so it's worth the commute to live where we want to (most days anyway!). Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs!

So yes I suppose it is wise to ask what you do for a living? House prices in the UK can vary massively depending on location so I suppose you have to consider where your money will go furthest as well?  ??? Obviously these are all problems not unique to moving to the UK!

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 09:13:30 AM »

Moved to UK as a child way back in 1972 so probably not really relevant. My older brother moved back when he was seventeen and has been there since. His observations when he visits are that it's safer due to the strick gun control laws that exist within the UK. He owns a record store(Hymie's Vintage Records) on Lake Street where the Minneapolis race riots started in May. Armed nazi vigilantes roaming the streets, police saying they will not respond to 911 calls for fear of starting a gun battle. Its a poor area in parts and shootings common. Imagine going to work here and wondering if your next customer in your shop is going to pull a gun on you for the cash register. He also notes that social and health care here looks better but doesn't get why poor lifestyles choices (drug/alcohol addiction, having multiple children when no one in  the household works) seems to be financially rewarded here with benifit payments. Its an argument we have often that the US seems to abandoned its people whilst the UK seems to support a bit better. Very political so best not discuss too much. He does also say the weather here (Scotland) is pants and why have I stayed!
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

limestone69

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »

thanks for the replies.
NG, I'm sorry to hear about your brother's experience. I used to work in Minneapolis a lot, and really loved it. It's terrible to know they're struggling. I wonder if i've been in that record store?
I'll need to find those Bryson books, i think.

This won't be a retirement plan, I'll need to keep working.
I've spent most of my time as a pattern-maker and sculptor in a foundry (27 yrs). Prior to that, i worked in film and theater. I've recently started designing sets for a small local company to do something fun. Last year, i contracted with our school district to work with the students on their productions. My kids are both in college, we've both found ourselves with extra time.
My sweetheart is an accountant, so between the two of us, we should be able to find something useful to do.

I suppose our first choice would be to try for the Maldon area. Somewhere quiet.
we stayed outside Coventry in a small village on the last trip. It was closer to what I'd expected than anywhere else we landed.
The reason for that stop was to see the cathedral, and visit the transportation museum (both were outstanding), but everyone in London thought we were nuts to go there at all.
Of course, if you were here and wanted to see Detroit, I'd try to talk you out of it...

I recognize that there are issues everywhere, but I'm seeing the US as increasingly uncivilized, and it's hard to watch. Even wearing a mask at a shop has become a debate. The same people that tell me that they "refuse to live in fear" and wear a mask, have gun-safes the size of a refrigerator (american fridge) and have never travelled outside of the country because they expect to be kidnapped and killed.
so frustrating.

sorry for the rant.
If any of you are familiar with the area around Maldon, I'd be glad of any recommendations.
Cheers

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »

My only suggestions would be to second the idea of seeing as much as possible before making a firm choice, maybe rent somewhere for 6 months as a base ? 

Yes, in general and with multiple relatives in the US, this place seems a little bit less extreme and has some huge positives, like the National Health Service. I recall an elderly Aunt and Uncle who had retired from the Bronx to upstate NY, both petrified of becoming ill, even with Insurance, because of the likely costs. ....but do check out our current Politics and direction of travel.  If I say they are in an unusual state you can take that as "British Understatement".  :whistle

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

limestone69

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »

We plan to rent initially.
I wish we had figured this out sooner, although, i should still have a few years of Land Rover travelling left in me.
We have maybe two years to figure this out. The kids will be out of school and beginning their own adventure, and my 88 should be sorted.
I'm in the middle of a chassis swap/engine rebuild. I'm sure you all know how other things turn up, it's becoming more of a total refurb...

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »

Maldon is not far from me, and a wife's relative lives at Woodham Mortimer.

Convenient for the coast, the Continent and for London.

Two things are generally true:

The closer you get to London, the more expensive properties tend to be.

But also the closer you get to London, the more chances of - and variety of - employment there are.

Maldon is in the county of Essex and is in the area of least rainfall in the UK.

Still enough rain to keep things green, but not as wet as certain other parts of the country (let's not mention Scotland. :whistle)

There are SII Club members all over Essex, so you wouldn't be far from a pub meet......

Oh, and we are used to Yanks as there are US air bases up in Suffolk!
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.