S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car trials , rallies , etc etc ,  (Read 1986 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Car trials , rallies , etc etc ,
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 07:33:35 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for that video.

Way back in the 1950s, those trials specials were based on early Ford Popular chassis, with transverse springs at each end, giving tremendous axle articulation. Some of you may have noticed that some cars had the dampers bolted near the middle of the axle ... also to permit abnormal articulation.

Watching that video, I was struck by the "agitation" displayed by most of the passengers ... I assume the public conveniences were at the top of the hill.  :whistle

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 11:16:41 PM »

It is amazing where a vehicle can get in 2wd with an experienced off tarmac driver at the wheel [and decent tyres]. I count myself as such having driven landrovers and tractors on the farm since well before my teens -- in fact my first accident was in the '63 12 seater when I was 9 years old and did not allow enough slowing down space going downhill on wet grass and clipped a gate post when the landrover could not quite make the slight turn required at the speed I was going. I had already tried the brakes and decided no brakes and attempt the gate was the better option.

Many years ago as the result of a silly bet I did a complete summer day greenlaning in the Peak District in 2WD with my S1 V8 trials motor.

Managed every lane [almost 30 in total] including both Chapel Gate and Roych Clough [did need a few tries on parts of the 2 mentioned lanes -- both since closed to vehicles].

However, I do not think a std. engine would have done it -- too heavy on the front end and too little power to accelerate quickly enough at the exact point required.

On the first section of the next competitive trial the rear halfshaft broke :agh

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 07:17:57 AM »

Hi GVO416,

Ref your incident with the tractor, some local "lads" were mucking about with a tractor, near where I used to live, in the Swansea Valley, way after their bed-time.

The tractor ran away down a slope, so most of the lads jumped off, leaving only the driver, who was so badly "squished" that he had to be identified by DNA.

The farmer, an ex-U-boat captain, was reported in the local press as making unsympathetic comments. Soon after, his barn burned down, along with the cows in it.

Discounting sympathy for the cows, that was scarcely an effective revenge ... I presume his insurance covered any financial loss.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 23 queries.