S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Congestion New charge.  (Read 608 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Congestion New charge.
« on: March 05, 2022, 05:57:05 AM »

Hi,

The penalty for driving a diesel within the M25 ring was raised on a Motor Caravan forum, several years ago.

Thinks ... do they record the times/dates of when you drive into the Ring, and drive out again .. which could be several months, or even years ... and charge accordingly, despite your van being parked in your own back garden. What happens if you ask for a VED refund during the Winter?

I did not see the end of that discussion.

PS, I just went out in my jim-jams, then tried to Google for the VED Rates for the Hyundai and Freelander ... without success.

However, the insurance groups are .... Hyundai = Group 13, and the Freelander = Group 23.  I'm not much wiser, but it looks like they are easy figures to "get under".

LV gave us a £35 refund of premium, for both cars, due to low mileage during Lock Down.  Barbara's Hyundai has just clicked over 5,000 miles from new, first MOT. So call that 1,300 miles per year.  I think the Freelander did something similar in the first year that I owned it .... checking their MOT histories will give me accurate figures to work with. The Freelander came with a new MOT.

I'lll go away, do an MOT History search to confirm my memories.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Re: Congestion New charge.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 07:16:37 AM »

Hi,

I just checked the MOT histories ... it seems the Hyundai odometer was showing 7615 miles at her first MOT ... an average of 2,538 miles per year., more than I expected.

The Freelander did 2,284 miles, between MOTs (MOTd the day I bought it).

So last year, I guestimate I did 2,518 + 2,284 =4802 miles I'm surprised its that high. Barbara drove only a few miles, and found the Hyundai's clutch pedal was too heavy for her arthritic knees.

I'll get Barbara to look up the heavy overheads ... VED and insurance. I use any of several cards to buy petrol/diesel, so not easy to guestimate how much fuel each car used. I'm waiting to brim the Freelander's tank (currently three quarters full) so I can get a proper fix on her MPG. Virtually all my journeys are under 3 miles, usually via Milton Keynes roundabouts (usually less than a mile apart) so little "cruising" or "warm engine" involved.  I do not anticipate that pattern changing, although I would like to visit Wales a couple of times a year, assuming we can get Barbara's chariot into friend's houses. (Our daughter's house in MK is a NO GO area).  I believe Travel Lodges are wheel-chair and dog friendly, but I have not investigated their policy about visitors bringing fish & chips. ???

MOTs are a "mere bagatell" (I don't expect to fail) and I haven't yet bought new tyres for either vehicle ... but getting close. It might make sense to get rid soon, save myself a couple of hundred quid, for somebody else's benefit.
The Hyundai is insurance Goup 13, and the Freelander is Group 23. I have yet to translate those figures into Currency of the Realm. Google seems reluctant to tell me the VED rates, so it will be back to the bank statements.

Back to the drawing board.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 26 queries.