S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defender vs discovery TDi  (Read 2901 times)

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
Defender vs discovery TDi
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »

Short question.....Are Ex Defender 200/300 TDi engines worth more money than Ex Discovery  ones ?
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
Re: Defender vs discovery TDi
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:11:30 PM »

Short answer.

When I’m buying them no.

When anyone else is, yes.

The turbo and manifold assemblies are worth more on Defenders than Discoveries.

An easy fitment into a Series truck ideally wants a hybrid of the two. Discovery timing cover, injection pipes etc. and Defender alternator setup, manifolds and turbo.

At the end of the day, they’re worth whatever someone will pay. I’ve just spent the best part of £3K rebuilding one that was sold to me as “a good runner”, albeit very cheaply.

It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 05:50:05 PM »

Thanks Glen, obviously this comes on the back of the engines that my mate has for sale. He asked me to value them, and when I did, he argued with me.... :thud

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 06:29:08 PM »

These days the market has shrunk considerably for them. If you want one, they’re dear because nobody has any. If you want rid of one then they’re cheap because nobody wants to buy one.

I don’t need one, and I’m skint, so the most I’d be prepared to offer for any Tdi at the moment would be £200 for a Discovery engine, and £250 for a Defender one. And I’d have to be able to be confident that they weren’t knackered. The injection pump and injectors alone on the one I’ve just built cost me over a grand to get rebuilt.

If he wants top dollar for them then he needs to put some effort into checking, advertising and actually selling them to people. If he wants a mate to rehome them for him without actually lifting a finger, then he needs to accept the kind of lowball offers that result.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »

:ditto

Ideally, if you are in the market for buying an engine then you really need to see it running. Drive the vehicle. Is there any proof of service history ? When was the timing belt last changed, any proof of mileage.
No answers to these questions then engine isn't really worth anything at all  :shakeinghead

Never ever believe the seller when they say it's a good runner  :-X

:Tdi
Who's a then ?

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »

Yes I agree Guys. Fortunately for me, I don’t need one. Been there done that, great project, gone now and somebody else is enjoying it.   :tiphat

Way I see it the Defender ones are more risky, because have you ever seen the service history for a farmers Defender, it’s the cleanest blank book you will ever see....... :-*

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:30 AM »

He asked me to value them, and when I did, he argued with me....

HI GDR,

That reminds me of my farrier (Kempster) in the Swansea Valley. He used to shoe the royal coach horses, before he "retired"..

He told me that there was a pattern followed by all his new customers.

First visit, they would watch.

Second visit, they would ask questions.

Third visit, they would tell him how to do his job ... at which point he would hand them his tools, ask them to show him.

He once told me that he had been visited by two of his former apprentices. He reckoned that he could pick up a horse's hoof, show it to them,
 tell them both to make a shoe. He said that he would be surprised if there was more than a sixty-fourth of an inch difference between the finished shoes.

I told him ... "Look Kempster, I PAY YOU. I will do exactly what you tell me to do!"

100+9

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »

You know makes me chuckle, it's the battle-worn words:

If he wants top dollar for them then he needs to put some effort into checking, advertising and actually selling them to people. If he wants a mate to rehome them for him without actually lifting a finger, then he needs to accept the kind of lowball offers that result.

He asked me to value them, and when I did, he argued with me....

at which point he would hand them his tools, ask them to show him.

I recall my 20s trying to work out what it was that put men 30+ years my senior, seemingly making no effort yet achieving so much more than I could, however hard I tried.

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »

Short answer.

When I’m buying them no.

When anyone else is, yes.

The turbo and manifold assemblies are worth more on Defenders than Discoveries.

An easy fitment into a Series truck ideally wants a hybrid of the two. Discovery timing cover, injection pipes etc. and Defender alternator setup, manifolds and turbo.

At the end of the day, they’re worth whatever someone will pay. I’ve just spent the best part of £3K rebuilding one that was sold to me as “a good runner”, albeit very cheaply.

As far as I'm aware the 200TDIs differ between Defender and Disco+RR, the Disco style engine having a low turbo and a high injector pump, the Defender having the very desirable high turbo and the injection pump mounted low like a 12 or 19J.
I believe the 300TDI were near as dammit identical between Disco and Defender, the reduce production costs.
The big money is in the Defender 200TDI engines, with these often selling for 2-3x as much a a Disco 200TDI or a 300.
Andrew
FUD216C 1965 SWB running a 19J/200 TDI hybrid, on 100% WVO all year round.
NFO515 1961 109SW EX mil, rebuilt 2.25 petrol on LPG (26100012a)

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »

Right Andrew, you are singing from my mate's hymn sheet, so I will pass on your number to him, and see if you get through....only joking... :-*
He actually has 3 Defender 200 TDi motors, sorry been there before.......... :stars

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 07:11:43 PM »

As far as I'm aware the 200TDIs differ between Defender and Disco+RR, the Disco style engine having a low turbo and a high injector pump, the Defender having the very desirable high turbo and the injection pump mounted low like a 12 or 19J.
I believe the 300TDI were near as dammit identical between Disco and Defender, the reduce production costs.
The big money is in the Defender 200TDI engines, with these often selling for 2-3x as much a a Disco 200TDI or a 300.
Andrew

Yes, this seems about right,  and most of that difference between defender and disco 200's is just the exhaust manifold/turbo.  removed from the engine and sold separately it will make a fair amount.

The reason people don't seem to retrofit 300's seems to be primarily the engine mount issue into an earlier chassis.  The Defender and Disco 300  are near enough identical.  I have a retrofit disco 300 in an early 110 and it's exactly the same as my factory defender 300, give or take some wiring loom brackets!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.