S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Those dang fireworks  (Read 8535 times)

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
Re: Those dang fireworks
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »

"So, shouldn't we be clamoring for at least a ban on privately owned autos?   ???

The above doesn't take into account animals, however, in 1993 an analysis of "roadkill" was done within the New England states of the US.  Merritt Clifton (editor of Animal People Newspaper) extrapolated the data and applied it to the entire US.  He estimated that the following animals are being killed by motor vehicles in the United States annually: 41M squirrels, 26M cats, 22M rats, 19M opossums, 15M raccoons, 6M dogs, and 350,000 deer.  This doesn't take into account those animals injured.

In the past 30 years we have had 3 pets killed by autos and 1 permanently injured.  Based on this, I should be demanding that personal automobiles be banned?  "

We have Highland Cattle grazing free around here , 800Kg . I don't see people aiming their cars at them to try and hit them or for that matter any of the pigs , ponies, Red deer , Roe Deer , cyclists etc etc . They do however let fire works of to annoy /stress and injure them . Just for fun !

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »

We have Highland Cattle grazing free around here , 800Kg . I don't see people aiming their cars at them to try and hit them or for that matter any of the pigs , ponies, Red deer , Roe Deer , cyclists etc etc . They do however let fire works of to annoy /stress and injure them . Just for fun !

We have the same thing happen here, and not just in re fireworks.  When caught, those people are prosecuted under the "animal cruelty" laws.  Don't you have laws over there for such?

I live in farm country, lots of cattle, horses, pigs, sheep, chickens and so on.  I have raised all of the above and so have many others I know.  Still, trying to ban fireworks due to the annoyance, stress and injuries caused to animals is not an issue.  We take this seriously and prosecute.  Some States, such as ours, have special law enforcement officials for such.

We don't go about trying to punish an entire populace for the actions of a few - at least the vast majority of us don't.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »

That's probably our problem - lack of enforcement and weak punishment = no deterrent  :shakeinghead
Who's a then ?

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »

Forgot to mention... we have "free range" laws here.  If someone runs into your livestock, either intentionally or accidentally, they are responsible and must compensate the livestock owner for any damage done to the animal.  To help insure that livestock do not wander onto freeways and the turnpike the State is responsible for installing fencing.

As to people who intentionally run into smaller livestock, smaller wild animals, pets and even cyclists and runners and walkers - yes, we have those and they are prosecuted if found.  Our animal cruelty laws do extend to those motorists who intentionally go out of their way to hit an animal that's on the road, raccoons, opossums, armadillos and turtles are especially susceptible to this.

Don't you have similar laws?

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 04:56:51 PM »

That's probably our problem - lack of enforcement and weak punishment = no deterrent  :shakeinghead

We don't have weak punishments, but we are undermanned.  As an example, if you are caught with illegal fireworks the fine starts at $250, if caught firing them it doubles and can be even higher depending on the location.  If your carelessness causes damage, such as fire, injury or death, you are held accountable.  A few years ago a house caught on fire, due to fireworks, in a town near us.  The house was a total loss.  The fireworks were being fired during a time of year they are not permitted.  The person responsible was arrested, charged, and heavily find; they were then sued by the homeowner for their loss and the county sued for their time and use of equipment, homeowner and county both won.

SWMBO told me to tell you about our animal cruelty law here.  A few years ago it was rewritten.  The State Legislator responsible for it is someone we know and I have worked with on a few things in the past.  The original law had no real teeth, now it does.  The minimum fine is $5,000 with a prison sentence of between 1 to 5 years.  These penalties were increased due to an increased amount of dog fighting groups and dog baiting (using smaller, weaker animals as training bait).

When it comes to livestock, such as cattle, horses and sheep primarily, some of the States in the area are looking at reinstating a law that hasn't been around for decades!!  "Cattle rustling" is on the rise again as is taking potshots at livestock with firearms.  Most of the "rustling" is happening along the US/Mexico border.  The law that's reinstatement is being considered is the ability of a livestock owner to "shoot first and ask questions later".

Nomisb

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7219
  • .:
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »

This one should sit on anyone's bucket list. I don't know about you, but sadly the wonderment of youth means fireworks are a kid thing. Fireworks pass me by. But Ottery St Mary's Tar Barrell Night is on another level. Do it.

https://www.tarbarrels.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elrOWiqvAJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBv1Sc1-RTs

Mad dogs and Englishmen.

Went when I was a Student in Plymouth - absolute fantastic madness....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.