S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beats me? How can we possibly complain at prices for the majority of parts?  (Read 4092 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Beats me? How can we possibly complain at prices for the majority of parts?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 10:19:02 AM »

The Rolls-Royce option is to get your hydraulic parts sleeved with stainless steel  :first

This means that in conjunction with silicon brake fluid and PTFE s/s braided hoses you should never have any trouble with your hydraulics (for a very long time).
Definitely a once and for all solution for a "keeper".

One of the primary functions of this forum is to point owners to good suppliers and good parts - meaning quality parts at reasonable prices.

The days of running an old Land Rover as a daily banger on no budget have gone.
Who's a then ?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »

Hmm.. I run mine as a daily banger, and I've got no budget at , ive probably got way less money than most of those charming people on bleedin' benefits... :shakeinghead

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

One of the joys of Series ownership is that there are so many options when it comes to how you run a vehicle. There are no other vehicles I can think of which have so many choices, not just in configuration (type of top, do you want a winch or a PTO etc?) but also in what you set out to achieve in running it. Some people run an old rat vehicle, others have trailer queens.

It's the time-quality-cost triangle really (ie cheap vs. good vs. quick). You can choose any position on the triangle so you can have up to two but you can't have all three without some serious compromise. 'Good' is also very personal. PGV is to many people's eyes a lovely example of preservation and sympathetic restoration but others would only want a vehicle on a new chassis and bulkhead with everything galvanised and painted to a perfect gloss finish in 2-pack. Some people go for cheap and good but slow, e.g. winchman whose plan to repair one door with sections from another are verging on the heroic. Others such as myself are obsessive rivet counters so are going all out for the pointy end of their idea of 'good' triangle but very slowly. fwiw I too have a spreadsheet for parts and compare prices, which can vary tremendously, but I almost always end up at Craddocks, Blanchards, John Richards or Dunsfold and when the only place on the planet with the right bolt is in the USA, that's where it comes from! Others may choose to fit the cheapest parts they can get their hands on and do it quickly, then cross their fingers that they aren't made of cheese. Good luck to all approaches - your vehicle, your choice.

Alec
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.