S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning member  (Read 478 times)

gaz0203

• Chassis welder
Returning member
« on: March 18, 2023, 04:40:50 PM »

Hello all, I'm back here after a short break when I sold my 2a, and am after a little advice if possible. I have been offered a 1419 Nov 58 reg 88 that has been laid up since 1988. Will need complete resto but logbook is present and it's all there. What seems to be the going rate for projects like this nowadays as its some time since I last bought something similar. Thanks

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
Re: Returning member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 01:59:06 AM »

As always, what ever the market will bear. You the buyer have to decide how much it's worth to you and present that offer knowing it may not be what the seller desires.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:05:41 AM »

I agree.

I'd add that the market is dropping to more realistic values now and the bubble seems to have burst on overinflated drunken lockdown disastrous purchases. They are however still out there... Just not selling from what I can see.

Frankly its impossible to value without seeing images and detail of the current condition. Even then, its dependent on location and multiple other factors.

Start by considering your end game budget and what it is worth restored. Deduct what the restoration will likely cost and look at what's left. That's what its probably worth these days and I suspect no more than £3,000 - £4,000 absolutely maximum unless its something very special and very original. I picked up a one owner with all paperwork 1965 88" original Station Wagon towards the end of lockdown which is absolutely original but needs a total restoration. I paid £2,000 for it... If this one of yours needs a new chassis and bulkhead, you are are looking at a £20k rebuild.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Supercal2007

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5376
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 10:23:55 AM »

Hello all, I'm back here after a short break when I sold my 2a, and am after a little advice if possible. I have been offered a 1419 Nov 58 reg 88 that has been laid up since 1988. Will need complete resto but logbook is present and it's all there. What seems to be the going rate for projects like this nowadays as its some time since I last bought something similar. Thanks

Welcome back. If it's mostly complete, fairly straight with the current v5 it could be a nice project to get stuck into.
You say  you have been offered it, so presumably it's for sale. How much is the vendor asking for it? If its one of the increasingly common situations where the vendor says they are open to offers (because they are so frightened they miss out on a big daft silly offer, and say they dont know what it's worth.),offer them 500 quid, you will soon find out if they know what they actually want for it and start bargaining from there. As Diffwhine says above, throw the £20k rebuild cost into the conversation too.
There are plenty of projects out there, don't be afraid to walk away.
Calum.

gaz0203

• Chassis welder
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:39:04 PM »

Many thanks for your replies. It's all complete with v5 but has been laid up for a long time. My aim really here was to just gauge what people are paying nowadays as the last time I bought such a project it was £400. The seller has no idea what he would like for it and was talking about ebaying it. I will head back to him with an offer and see what the outcome is.

Mycroft

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »

It's always worth having a look on eBay at similar year projects/spares and repairs sales at eBay, making sure you tick the 'Completed items' option on the left. You'll see what projects are going for at the moment. The private (non eBay) market is often a lot cheaper as sellers are prepared to kiss goodbye to a few extra hundred - often more - for the certainty of a sale, not having to take photos, not having to answer tricky questions and avoid dealing with tyre-kickers and dreamers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.