S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling .. would you give out Vin Number ?  (Read 3735 times)

agg221

• Swivel King
Re: Selling .. would you give out Vin Number ?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »

I have also bought unseen (both my Land Rovers in fact) due to distance. I bought them knowing restoration was needed so a few more holes in the chassis wasn’t an issue as the whole thing was being replaced. I wanted good photos to see whether anything expensive/difficult to replace was damaged or missing and I wanted numbers for chassis, engine and gearbox to check originality. Axle cases and steering box I took as too difficult and if the other numbers matched they were unlikely to be wrong.

I don’t see these numbers as being of value for illicit purposes. Technically you could create a ringer from them but there are far easier and less risky ways. After all, if the details are registered in your name then in these days of retained electronic communication there is a good chance you can show exactly who asked the question should an issue arise. For the moment, buying an ID on eBay has far less chance of comeback.

Alec

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »

The first part of the chassis number can tell perspective buyer all sorts of information regarding year, fuel, wheelbase and destination market.

It is the later part of the number that is unique to the vehicle.

I do understand the caution entirely.

100+9

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »

Like a rampant H&S inspector, this issue has a circular-logic which tries to eliminate risk. It can never make sense. It will fail for the same reasons. A seller is forced to give the info anyway. Buyers expect the supply of non-unique information where they're at a distance. Once on your door, should they have nefarious intent, they're sure to get the info. All you can ever do is make life difficult. And anyway, there has to be more lucrative, easier ways with less risk - mugging old ladies could be favourite. This leaves us to ask why the question is not pulled-up at the get-go, and gets house-room?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.