S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the old fuel gauge conundrum  (Read 2149 times)

109 fever

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7647
  • .:
the old fuel gauge conundrum
« on: March 22, 2021, 09:59:39 PM »

I bought a new old stock + ground sender unit for the '66 109 SW.  turns out the original one was frozen for lack of use by the prior owner. Freed it up and now working.
  I just picked up a '62 109 2 door and the sender is no good. 
1.  can I use the + ground sender on the -ground truck, and if so, 2.  will it read backwards or upside down?

Thanks for any comments.
1954 86" Series 1 NADA Soft top LHD
1956 107" Series 1 station wagon LHD
'#03962 Series IIa 109 2 door soft top LHD
'#03965 Series IIa 109 station wagon LHD
'#03986 110 county station wagon LHD
1990 110 Perentie soft top. RHD
'#03994 NAS D90 Soft top
'#03997 NAS D90 Soft top

Dormy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6632
  • .:
  • Sleeping on the job....Zzzzzz
Re: the old fuel gauge conundrum
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:08:25 PM »

The answer is in the instruments. Both a 62 and a 66 should have been + ground originally unless part of some specially requested order (my L/R is Aug 66 and had + ground).

As long as they are matched together the instruments and senders don't care if the vehicle is + or - ground, they will continue to work correctly and don't need any swapping at the time a vehicle is converted: -

1. If you have an arrow type needle in the gauge then the vehicle should have a "+" ground sender unit.

2. If you have a straight needle in the gauge then vehicle should have the later "-" ground unit and a voltage stabiliser.

The problem you might have is whether a PO has swapped things around. The later "-" sender unit has significantly different resistance as well as working the opposite way to the earlier unit, so isn't compatible with the earlier gauge.

Best check which instruments you have so you can establish whether you need an early or late sender.

HTH
Dormy
On the road: - 66 109 Dormobile
Work in progress: - SWB Truck x2 & LWB 3/4 ton GS

109 fever

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 01:17:26 AM »

thanks Dormy.  I did not consider that the '62 109 had been converted from +ground to -ground (it has a new wiring harness).  Both '62 and '66  have the pointer gauges.  I wonder if my NOS sender unit will even fit in the petrol tank under the front seat.  The '66 has the saddle tank in the rear.  I have not seen the '62 yet.  Is the tank a different configuration?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 01:37:04 AM »

The tank senders are not polarity conscious. The senders are the same for the LWB & SWB tanks. It's just that the SWB tanks/senders are easier to access.

You need to match the right sender to the correct gauge.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

109 fever

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 02:09:21 AM »

Thank you.  If the sender units are not polarity sensitive, then I am ok.  The arrow head gauge with the sender unit you show are what I have in my '66 109.  The '62 109 two door hasn't arrived as yet.  But I know it has the arrow head indicators and my NOS sender should go right in.  Push comes to shove, I have a NOS arrow head gauge.  (they came hermetically sealed originally)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:30:41 AM »

To get the best "connection" you should have a dedicated earthing wire from a tank sender fixing screw to the chassis nearby. You can't rely on the tank fixing bolts to provide a good earth.

:bright-idea
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.