S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2s in May  (Read 15970 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
What you did with your Series 2s in May
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »

I pushed the boat out! Well I did once I eventually got there. On the way to my sons yacht I put 45 litres of fuel in the under seat tank and promptly broke down 500 yards later. Would only start and run on choke, so looks like the fresh fuel has caused a blockage in the slow running jet? It cleared after 3 miles and is back to idling nicely. When the wind and rain drops off a little I will remove the inlet from the carb and check the filter.
At just shy of 25 miles round trip it is the longest run I have done in this Land Rover so far. Still being run in.

If it happened that quickly it sounds as if its not the new fuel that is the problem, bar pouring the new stuff in has disturbed gunk in the bottom of the tank ? If you put 45 litres in then the tank must have been about empty ? Might be worth checking the state of the gauze on the pipe-up pipe, closeness of the pickup to the bottom of the tank and how much gunk is in on the bottom of it too ?
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2021, 08:39:20 PM »

Went  to visit my nephew in Sheffield for the first time since the first lockdown started.  I took him my spreadbore block to get welded and I came back with an S1 air cleaner and some beer.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Avalon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7597
  • .:
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2021, 01:29:29 AM »

I made two rear axle brake line brakets for under the rear springs.

It was hot and humid ( 31 C) so I spent time in the basement making these.

Not as good as those from bits for landys but I enjoyed making them.

Thank for all here who posted diagrams and photos.

John

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2021, 09:02:29 PM »

Very neat!

I spent a pleasant hour in the sunshine reading up on the Zenith Carb design, operation and service notes, as I have a bit of a hesitation when moving up from idle to pull away. Seems those two tiny "progression" holes near the butterfly plate at the bottom are really important. Checked they were clear and generally syringed some clean petrol through the relevant tubes, and checked all the pump parts and economy diaphragm. Also used a bit of ptfe tape to try and better seal what I think is a cleaning plug whose threads looked a bit suspect, near the "progression" holes. I think perhaps air was leaking in there.

Went for a trial spin in the sunshine, roof off. It seems better but perhaps not perfect yet. I had 5 screaming 13-year old girls as passengers shouting at everyone we passed. Sometimes the screaming was so loud I had to cover my ears. Bounced them around a bit. Fun at times, embarrassing at others!
Andrew

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »

Hinge and thermostat housing overhaul session...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2021, 10:48:38 PM »

Mother in law put me and the 88 to work collecting  a small shed from costco today!

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2021, 03:53:04 PM »

Took it out for a shakedown run after another adjustment session to the clutch .

Still just as bad . Jumped out of second gear after a few yards and then ok. Up through the box and down to third again , still ok. So I tried to replicate the previous fault by coming to rest in third and sure enough ... it wouldn’t come out of gear with the clutch down so I tried to jiggle it a bit and it came out with some crunching. Then it was a little troublesome driving home with third the most trouble.

I’m at the end of my tether with this situation.

Anyone know a garage around Rotherham who could help ?

Or any members nearby with any ideas ?

simonbav

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2021, 09:01:31 PM »

:RHD I drove four young nurses for a camping trip to Wales in my 88" soft top many years ago. What was not to like?  :-X
Very neat!

I spent a pleasant hour in the sunshine reading up on the Zenith Carb design, operation and service notes, as I have a bit of a hesitation when moving up from idle to pull away. Seems those two tiny "progression" holes near the butterfly plate at the bottom are really important. Checked they were clear and generally syringed some clean petrol through the relevant tubes, and checked all the pump parts and economy diaphragm. Also used a bit of ptfe tape to try and better seal what I think is a cleaning plug whose threads looked a bit suspect, near the "progression" holes. I think perhaps air was leaking in there.

Went for a trial spin in the sunshine, roof off. It seems better but perhaps not perfect yet. I had 5 screaming 13-year old girls as passengers shouting at everyone we passed. Sometimes the screaming was so loud I had to cover my ears. Bounced them around a bit. Fun at times, embarrassing at others!

JonA

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4778
  • .:
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2021, 10:31:39 PM »

Went out to collect an agicultural 16foot hay trailer.
Arrived to find they were in the trees with a transit hooking up the trailer... so first job was to drag the now stuck tranny and trailer off the soft ground - no problem :-).
Then a steady run home with the beast banging along behind us - fab job by the old landy.
Love it whens she's really useful  :-*

Hun

• The Colonel
  • S2C Member
  • Member no : 7414
  • .:
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2021, 04:37:46 AM »

Greetings from Colorado.  I'm still trying to get my brakes right.  Apparently , the fluid reservoir was "low", and air got into the brake lines.  I just got my 1960 series 2.  I am now going through all the obvious status checks (fluids, connections, grease the greasy parts, etc.)  I am learning as I go.  I bought some Whitworth size end wrenches, odd size (for me) socket wrenches, and will entertain any helpful suggestions about tools or anything I will be needing.  Henry, my Land Rover, seems to be in good shape. But...,
3 wheel's brake line nipples were opened and bled with a SAE (Yank sizes) 7/16 wrench.  The last, left front, seems to be a different size. 13/32 inch? I may have invented some new swear words while working on this project.  More wrenches on order.  Thoughts and perhaps a strong drink with a group of my peers?  Kurt, the Hun
I used to be disgusted. Now, I'm just amused.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2021, 04:57:46 AM »

&  to the Forum.

Sounds like someone has fitted a latter "metric" wheel cylinder to that corner  :shakeinghead

13/32" is just about 10 mm spanner size.

Exmoor Trim sell a bespoke canvas tool roll, but you'll have to stock it yourself  :eclipsee_gold_cup

You can do as I have done here:-

....with a selection of the most likely to be needed.

The tools in my roll ^^^ more or less are what they are.

1)   Telescopic inspection mirror
2)   12V test bulb and leads
3)   ¼” socket drive, with 2BA, 11mm (7/16”AF) and 7mm (for the rad hose clips)
4)   Big adjustable spanner
5)   Tyre pressure gauge
6)   King Dick box spanner ¼” & 3/16”Whitworth with a junior hacksaw blade
7)   Multi strip connector block
8)   Period battery check gauge – nice find, but not essential
9)   Propshaft bolt tool
10)   Surgical artery clamps, good for holding nuts and washers in tight places.
11)   5/16” x ¼” AF spanner for the hand brake adjuster
12)   7/16” AF ring spanner
13)   7/16” AF ring spanner
14)   7/16” x ½” AF open ended spanner
15)   ½” Halfords Professional spanner with ratchet end
16)   9/16” Halfords Professional spanner with ratchet end
17)   RS mini adjuster spanner
18)   5/16" x ¼” Whitworth long crank ring
19)   5/16” x ¼” Whitworth open ended spanner
20)   Wire cutters
21)   Small long-nosed pliers
22)   Adjustable wrench
23)   Pozidrive stumpy screwdriver
24)   Blade stumpy screrwdriver
25)   Small hammer
26)   Long reach screwdriver with screw holder – used for the 3 2BA screws that hold the speedo cable to the transfer box
27)   Small electrical screwdriver
28)   Big Pozidrive screwdriver
29)   Big blade screwdriver
30)   Medium blade screwdriver
31)   Land Rover inspection lamp – sits in the cab, not in the tool roll.

The spanners are a good assortment of 7/16", 1/2" & 9/16" AF and for the drive flange bolts.

If you have a diesel engine then a 17mm combination spanner is good for the fuel line/injector fittings.

...or you can search your local autojumbles (and eBay) for the correct OE tools  as they do come up from time-2-time.

This is what the "official" Land Rover tool kit/roll contained:-

Basically - You can never ever have too many spanners.

Then you might want to graduate to:-

Key to Spanners

1)   7/16” AF long ring
2)   7/16” AF  ring & open end
3)    7/16” AF ring open end
4)   7/16” AF ring & open end
5)   7/16” AF small open ended
All good for body work panels, seat box and tub stays.

6)   7/16” & ½” AF ring
7)   ½” AF Halfords Professional ratchet end
8)   ½” x 9/16” AF ring
9)   ½ x 9/16” long ring
All good for in the engine bay, manifold, carb & exhaust mountings, dynamo/alternator mounting, fuel and water pump fixings etc.

10)   2” Box spanner for wheel bearing retaining nuts.
11)   King Dick ¼” W x 3/16” W box spanner.
12)   9/16” propshaft extension for 3/8” drive socket drive

13)   9/16” AF Halfords Professional ratchet end

14)   5/8” x 9/16” AF long crank ring

15)   5/16” x ¼” W long crank ring

16)   5/16”  x ¼” W open ends

17)   5/16” x ¼” W open ends

18)   19) &20) set of 3 – 5/16”, ¼” & 1/8” W ring spanner set

21) ¼” socket drive with 2BA and 7/16” sockets, etc.
22) Big adjustable
23) Mini RS adjustable
24) 10” Bahco adjustable

Backed up with a decent socket set - Halfords Professional range is a good place to start looking - more so if you have a trade card - watch out for their special offers.
A decent socket set would make an ideal Christmas or Birthday present  :eclipsee_gold_cup
You'll find both 3/8"  and 1/2" drives useful with a nice long extension bar and a (digital) torque wrench could be handy.

.... and then when things go wrong or you need to make an adjustment:-

... and you can never have too many hammers - just some of the Wittsend collection.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Hun

• The Colonel
  • S2C Member
  • Member no : 7414
  • .:
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2021, 05:21:53 AM »

Brother Wittsend, you are a fountain of information.  Thank you.
I am continually learning from my little Rover.  It does have a petrol engine. I inherited a very basic tool kit which has exponentially grown in the very short time I've had the old girl. I do have a question or two if you have time and patience:

Should I assume nuts and things are Whitworth wrench sizes?

Obvious things like the trailer hitch on the rear bumper a mystery to me.  USA trailer hitches use a ball coupling set up.  This is quite different.  How does this connect to a the trailer?

I hope to keep this as original as possible, meaning I will not remove this hitch.  I'm just naive. (stupid, but without the attitude.)
I did try the metric sizes on the other nipples, but now I will try with the recalcitrant brake nipple.   
The tool information is wonderful.  Thank you again!
Kurt

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2021, 07:42:29 AM »

Brother Wittsend, you are a fountain of information.  Thank you.
I am continually learning from my little Rover.  It does have a petrol engine. I inherited a very basic tool kit which has exponentially grown in the very short time I've had the old girl. I do have a question or two if you have time and patience:

Should I assume nuts and things are Whitworth wrench sizes?

Obvious things like the trailer hitch on the rear bumper a mystery to me.  USA trailer hitches use a ball coupling set up.  This is quite different.  How does this connect to a the trailer?

I hope to keep this as original as possible, meaning I will not remove this hitch.  I'm just naive. (stupid, but without the attitude.)
I did try the metric sizes on the other nipples, but now I will try with the recalcitrant brake nipple.   
The tool information is wonderful.  Thank you again!
Kurt

Don't 'panic' too much about the comment re metric brake cylinder - it may be the case but I have come across these cylinders that are the correct Imperial threads and bore but have had 10mm (spanner size) bleed nipples fitted. Yep, a PITA but no big deal. SO long as the fitting thread and bore are correct it is fine.
HTH
Oh, and welcome to the madness of a Series Land Rover!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »

Normally brake bleed screws (nipples if you must) are 7/16" AF.

7/16" AF is = to 11mm

Whilst metric spanners will (obviously) work on the Land Rover, I find it best to stick with imperial (marked) spanners.
You can gradually build up your collection as you go along and tackle the various jobs.

Fixings and fittings on the Land Rover are a mixture of thread sizes.
Body work and engine tend to be UNF threads.
Axles and transmission are BSF/Whitworth threads.
Electrical parts tend to use BA threads.
This is not set in stone.
We tend to work with spanner sizes as AF = across the flats.

If you look in the Workshop Manual at the start of each section they list the tools needs for the job, including the spanner sizes.
Club members can access the members section of the website where we have an extensive technical library where all/most of the workshop manuals can be accessed.

S2C members will need an access account creating by me - just ask.

:RHD

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »

I am curious to know the difference between 11mm and 7/16 and 13mm and 1/2 as I have one odd German made spanner that on one side is marked 11mm and 13mm and on the other side 7/16 and 1/2

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.