S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning the inside of the windscreen  (Read 4441 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Cleaning the inside of the windscreen
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 06:08:15 AM »

No one has mentioned using 000 gauge steel wool to polish and remove light scratches in screen glass.

:window
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Cleaning the inside of the windscreen
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 10:53:21 PM »

Us rich yanks just replace the windshield when that happens.

Hi,

Yeah ... but when the local optician grinds the screen to my prescription .... that would tend to get expensive.

Alan ... when I was stripping paint of my Land Rover bodies, I used a plumbers gas blow-lamp, on a 4.5kg Calor bottle, and hose. (if tha panel bulges, just let it cool down ... do not push it back into shape while hot). I'd start with a scraper, finish with coarse plumbers wire wool (big bundle from a builder's merchants, not extensive).

BRILLO PADS cost more, and were less agressive., so took longer. They gave a superior finish. They seem to be packed with soap and some sort of pink stuff ... possibly jeweller's rouge. Any volunteers to try a Brillo on their windscreen?

PS. In the RAF, we used BRASSO metal polish on the billet windows ... it dries to a powder that is easily wiped off with a yellow duster. There is a less abrassive version that seems to be intended for the family silver.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.