S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2 during April ...  (Read 18027 times)

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
What you did with your Series 2 during April ...
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2021, 08:14:08 AM »

Specially for Andy this.

I went for a ride up Rivington to empty a collecting box but I took the opportunity to go rest of the way along Georges lane to the pigeon tower, I then took the right fork (dont go straight on onless you are in John Cramphorn's 101).  The gate is no longer locked.  I carried on to the end and came out on the Road from Rivington to Belmont.  It is a bit of a bone shaker but it gets the springs moving.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »

Got a bit carried away looking for rust on the chassis. It was a whole car yesterday morning...
Now the debate begins - new chassis or stick the old one back together again.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »

As the sun was out and there wasn't an artic gale blowing I decided to start UAD for the first time months. A short prime on the fuel pump and a turn of the key and it burst into life on the second compression stroke. The battery was quite low so it only just made it. With it revving the charge light failed to go out and the battery volts stayed at ~12v.
I made voltage measurements from the ignition switch down through the fuse box to the exciter terminal on the alternator.  12v the whole way. I did disturb a hibernating wasp in the fuse box though, it was not happy about being woken up and buzzed off.
Back to the alternator; with 12v on the exciter the alternator itself must be at fault, so I checked the brushes. They were long and shiny, as they should be. I pushed then in and allowed them to return under spring pressure and all seemed well.
With the brush pack refitted I tried again and the charge light went out and the battery volts rose to 14v. I can assume that the brushes had got sticky through non use and my moving them cleaned off any stickiness.
Next to take it out!

Malcolm

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2021, 04:06:46 PM »

Nice post, and photo, thank you.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2021, 04:30:20 PM »

Specially for Andy this.

I went for a ride up Rivington to empty a collecting box but I took the opportunity to go rest of the way along Georges lane to the pigeon tower, I then took the right fork (dont go straight on onless you are in John Cramphorn's 101).  The gate is no longer locked.  I carried on to the end and came out on the Road from Rivington to Belmont.  It is a bit of a bone shaker but it gets the springs moving.

Peter

Thanks Peter
I was always unsure if you could go all the way along Georges Lane And come out either were you did or further along Belmont Rd I suppose the trick is to start at the gate and if it's locked you can't get any further. I could never find a definitive answer if we were allowed to drive it. I like that little road at the side of Wilderswood back to Horwich
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »

I was always unsure if you could go all the way along Georges Lane And come out either were you did or further along Belmont Rd I suppose the trick is to start at the gate and if it's locked you can't get any further. I could never find a definitive answer if we were allowed to drive it.
Trailwise2 covers the route.

I like that little road at the side of Wilderswood back to Horwich
Not enough information to be certain, but if you mean Marklands Road just north of Montcliffe to Foxholes Road and Mill Lane Horwich, all that is a standard tarmac highway, as travelled by the Google Mapping car.
At Marklands Road, Montcliffe, the route is signed 'unsuitable for HGV's', according to Google streetview of 2009 (It also has a 30mph sign).

Seems like a good endorsement to me, but might mean I haven't found your "little road at the side of Wilderswood back to Horwich".

Regards.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2021, 06:11:16 PM »

[Not enough information to be certain, but if you mean Marklands Road just north of Montcliffe to Foxholes Road and Mill Lane Horwich, all that is a standard tarmac highway, as travelled by the Google Mapping car.
At Marklands Road, Montcliffe, the route is signed 'unsuitable for HGV's', according to Google streetview of 2009 (It also has a 30mph sign).

Seems like a good endorsement to me, but might mean I haven't found your "little road at the side of Wilderswood back to Horwich".

Regards.
[/quote]

David
I'd forgot about that one. From Horwich then go up Mill Lane Foxholes Rd Marklands Rd and come out on Georges Lane. Take a leftand left again down Old Rake and Factory Hill (thats the road i meant) and back to Mill Lane.
Andy

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2021, 09:10:23 PM »

David
I'd forgot about that one. From Horwich then go up Mill Lane Foxholes Rd Marklands Rd and come out on Georges Lane. Take a leftand left again down Old Rake and Factory Hill (thats the road i meant) and back to Mill Lane.
Andy

Ok, as before "as travelled by the Google Mapping car, the route is also signed 'unsuitable for HGV's', according to Google streetview of 2009".
So I see it as being good to go, meaning you have some scenic routes to follow after your second vaccination is delivered.

Regards.

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2021, 11:47:01 PM »

New coil and HT leads. Road test OK.
But how hot the coil must be? I never touch the old one this is hot you can touch it but is hot

Cheers
The coil should only be slightly warm.
If it gets too hot, it may be that the coil you use is designed to be used with resistance.
In the Series coils are originally used without resistance.

If you use a coil designed for use with resistance, but connect it without resistance, the points will be short-lived. Greetings Neighbor.

Chunky020

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »

Hi all replaced OSF front hub seal on KBY, blew some more fuses trying to sort out temp gauge supply through 10volt regulator

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2021, 01:33:13 PM »

A trip to the quarry so I can start the annual pot-hole filling festival on the track...

Tonka and the Ifor Williams 10x5 trailer ( empty) show as 2100Kg on the weighbridge, 4100Kg on the way back out....

"Type 1 sub-base", (A mix of gravel and finer material, supposed to pack down as a solid surface ) £20 a tonne. 

....now for the fun bit, shovelling it into the holes.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2021, 06:09:15 PM »

Steam cleaned my engine block prior to painting ...

Needs a 2nd go over tomorrow.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2021, 12:07:42 AM »

On my brother's Land Rover IIA: I checked the voltage in the main lights, discovered a voltage drop of just over 2 volt. The light switch (original) takes some temperature.

I will connect the high and low lights with a relay, thus prolonging the life of the switch and improving the lights. :first

109 fever

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7647
  • .:
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:36 AM »

went to start up the new 109 ST, and the battery was dead???  Ignition light barely alive.  Put in  a new battery.  Once I connected the leads,  I could hear a very soft whirring, motor type sound.  What the hell?   

It was chilly yesterday and I had turned on the Kodiak to see how well it worked.  (not well).  I had inadvertently left the fan switch on low not realizing that my predecessor  had not wired the Kodiak through the ignition so the fan had been on until the battery ran out.

Problem solved, could have  been worse.
1954 86" Series 1 NADA Soft top LHD
1956 107" Series 1 station wagon LHD
'#03962 Series IIa 109 2 door soft top LHD
'#03965 Series IIa 109 station wagon LHD
'#03986 110 county station wagon LHD
1990 110 Perentie soft top. RHD
'#03994 NAS D90 Soft top
'#03997 NAS D90 Soft top

martinrh

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6601
  • .:
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »

Very nearly got stuck. I was in the woods and drove through some muddy wheel ruts.
They've been fine all winter (if getting deeper) but they've dried a bit and I had some trouble getting out of the slurry in the bottom.
I didn't need to resort to a winch but I'm surprised how poor my Michelin Latitudes are in the mud!
Still, the passengers enjoyed it :-)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.