S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: waxoils  (Read 3216 times)

hobson

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4294
  • .:
waxoils
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »

Chaps  long  time since I have posted on this forum but about to roll the chassis into the workshop to 'ave a go' with the car so I 'spect there will be many questions forthcoming :stars, however this one is regarding the different wax oils, some time back I read about  members extoling Morris 'waxoil' over the Hammerite version so would ask those with experience of using either their   views on the products or indeed any others. kind regards

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5353
  • .:
Re: waxoils
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »

Waxoyl is seen as a bit old fashioned. Don't know the Morris product - maybe someone else will comment

Dinitrol
and
Buzzweld

both have a good reputation

I used Dinitrol - it comes in aerosol cans with a plastic lance - really easy (and clean) to use.
They do different types for cavity and outside of chassis

hobson

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »

thanks for your reply, I have realised the product is called 'anchor wax' perhaps some others will have used it, kind regrds

88inchthing

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1944
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:29:28 PM »

Hi,
I have used black Hammerite WaxOyl for years and am very happy with it. I use a shultz gun on the compressor, no need to heat it either.

- Duncan

hobson

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »

thanks for this, I used Hammerite many years ago and used the same equipment, I also stuck a piece of flexi pipe with a few holes in it on the end of the gun for getting it into cavities. kind rrgards

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:36:16 AM »

Hi,
I have used black Hammerite WaxOyl for years and am very happy with it. I use a shultz gun on the compressor, no need to heat it either.

- Duncan
I found it sprays better when mixed with 20% white spirit which evaporates off once sprayed on leaving a nice coating

hobson

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »

that's interesting Oilstain, I understood it was aleady mixed with an evaporant, if this is the correct word, so  to add another would surely dilute the product, just askin as they say, kind regards

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »

Tricky one this to give a definitive answer because no one has been around for 30 or so years to have a look (inside) to see how their chassis is doing after treatment.
We need to travel into the future to have a look  :stars

That said, I'm of the school that says anything squirted or sprayed inside the chassis is better than nothing (short of battery acid).
I think the base line would be using old engine oil, maybe mixed with some diesel.
And you work up from there.
Cost very much comes into the equation.
Oil and diesel are cheap.
Some of the more exotic was treatments are quite expensive.

Another consideration is what are you going to use the vehicle for ???
If it's for pay and play in the mud and/or you regularly go off-road/farming work then you'll need more protection than most.
After a heavy off-road session you need to hose down/pressure wash out the crud from the chassis.
Don't let any rust traps linger.
Then re-treat the insides. This becomes very expensive if you are using the "best" wax.

I guess most owners don't want continual chassis maintenance and just want to spray something inside it and then forget it ???

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »

thanks for your reply, I have realised the product is called 'anchor wax' perhaps some others will have used it, kind regrds

Ankor Wax is similar to Waxoyl but doesn't solidify when cold quite as quickly as Waxoyl, so is a little more forgiving to use..

I use both regularly, as I don't believe in "one spray and forget" solutions.

"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 10:13:05 PM »

Anchor wax warmed up a little and applied with a sealey sg18 = winner

williammac

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6158
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »

I don't know whether my experience will help: I've had my '78 series 3 109" now for 31 years. For the first 10 years I sprayed the inside of the chassis every 2 years with the gloopy waxoil - but the rear x-member and front dumb irons still rusted. I replaced these in 1998 and from then on sprayed it inside annually with old gear oil (encourages me also to change the gear/diff oils every 2 years!) and it's been solid since. Look inside the rails and it's a lovely oily mess.
But...my paved drive is in a state now after the oil leaks from the chassis holes...so this year I tried the spray cans of Dynax S-50 - lovely fine spray pattern from the lance and much, much cleaner that gear oil! From now I think I'll alternate - gear oil one year and Dynax the next.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.