S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbies  (Read 2640 times)

alchad

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6825
  • .:
Re: Newbies
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 10:22:50 AM »

Depends.

If the poster has provided no background and introduces themselves with something like WHAT COLOUR SHOULD MY WHEELS BE?

Then, at best, they’ll get no response from me.

Personally, I’m sick and tired of posting the same information to an apparently endless stream of individuals that want spoon feeding. There’s literally hundreds of years of experience on this forum. If you want to access it, ask nicely, provide some background and follow up. If you want to join the community for its benefits, you’ve got to give something back.

I also, sometimes, question the good sense of some people that spend a huge amount of time talking others through relatively simple procedures. Seriously, if an individual can’t manage to upload a picture on here, or access an online resource like LRW, do you really think they should be working on their brakes?

Anyway. [/Grumpy]

As a fellow Grumpy, have to agree with you Glen, get similar posts on a couple of my other hobby website and forums where my often thought but never (well hardly ever) response is “haven’t you *&%^$ heard of Google!”. I don’t mind helping when I can but it’s nice if the poster has shown at least some attempt to sort the question/problem out for himself.

Alchad

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »

We have to be aware of the very wide ranging skills new joiners have. Some will have none and be very willing to learn and know their limitations. Others may have a 'gung ho' attitude and end up in out of their depth.
There are others who could happily rebuild a gearbox with one hand behind their back but can't figure out how to wire a relay for some spot lights.
It would help if newbies gave some sort of idea of their 'competencies' when they join that way answers could be tailored to their specific needs.
I would happily talk someone through wiring a relay to spot lights but leave gearbox rebuilds to someone with more experience.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »

Glen, Alchad understood but you do have the option to simply ignore the post and not respond. Occasionally we see what on the surface is a simple question turn into something which challenges some of the oft repeated myths and leads to a better understanding for all concerned.

My particular interest is military Land Rovers and I must admit I find it irritating sometimes when misinformation is posted or repeated as fact, but I don't feel this is cause to belittle others or go off the deep end...

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »

Firstly, I think we are a decent well behaved bunch on here.

If anyone thinks a post or comment is out of place then please report it in and the moderators will look at it.

You have to be so careful these days what you post - there is no way of measuring of measuring "offended".

Most people are good/sensible and post up a little background of their vehicle - Petrol/Diesel SWB/LWB etc.
Is the vehicle new to their ownership and so they have no reference point.
Or has the problem just come on.

Searching the manuals is even harder than searching on this forum.
You require some knowledge as to how the manual and sections are laid out.
What part is in what section.

For example - today we have a question about the fuel pump fixings.
Hard to single out the part numbers - and these are stock 5/16" UNF fittings - bolts or studs with matching nuts & washers.

We try to be helpful but sometimes one's patience is tested.

Club members have access to our Technical Library and to over 3000 pictures of bits relating to Land Rovers.

The manuals - the Series 3 versions changed when dealers went over to microfiche.

It would be worthwhile "reading" through the parts manual and leaning what's in the sections, where to find stuff, how it's laid out.
If the vehicle is a keeper it is a rewarding exercise. As is looking at the workshop manual before tackling a job you've not done before - applies more to newbies.
While the Haynes manuals are good - they try and cover the whole Series range and so so detail is inevitably wrong or just summarised.

Gooooooooooooogle really is your friend  :gooooooooooooooooooooooogle
Just type the part number in and see what comes up.

Finally - after posting on here and getting some replies and suggestions it's always nice to hear what the outcome is.
What was the problem and did you cure it ???

:RHD

Who's a then ?

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 12:09:34 PM »

Glen, Alchad understood but you do have the option to simply ignore the post and not respond. Occasionally we see what on the surface is a simple question turn into something which challenges some of the oft repeated myths and leads to a better understanding for all concerned.

My particular interest is military Land Rovers and I must admit I find it irritating sometimes when misinformation is posted or repeated as fact, but I don't feel this is cause to belittle others or go off the deep end...

The ignore/don’t respond option is one I increasingly find myself taking.

Particularly when it’s fairly obvious that the OP is completely out of their depth and the vehicle is destined to be sold on as an “unfinished project” after soaking up countless man/hours of effort here from well meaning contributors around the globe.

I have enough of my own stuff to do without investing in lost causes.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »

It's the best option. Nobody gets upset.
My Series 2 knowledge is limited so I stay out of things I don't know anyway but I'm learning from the forum.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »

Two things irritate me:

Someone who appears out of the blue on here, pretends to be an enthusiast, sucks up information - and then puts it straight into their eBay ad, because they think it will help inflate the price.

"According to the Series Two Club, blah blah blah....." 

And we never see them again.

Second is people who ask for information - and then fail to say " thank you" when they get it......

No problem with most others.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »

I freely give, hopefully helpful advice and sometimes a bit of hopefully humour. What bothers me is noobs who obviously never look in a manual, parts catalogue or the service sections, or do a forum search and just keep asking questions to easy to find(often asked) answers, ie...fuel gauge problems when there is a whole nicely put together section in the Service guides area, Thank you Alan!

So instead of complaining, perhaps the Forum needs Noobs start here sticky and outlines, with links to, and explains, Historical info, Pub Meets, Service Guides, etc...?
Then if after looking the noob really needs to know the proper size dome head rivet for the underside of the bracket that holds the electric fuel pump to the inner wing, they can ask. I believe the correct one is a 5/8". :cheers

YM LD

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7479
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »

As a newcomer I have been blown away by the support this club has offered.

I think it's an asset to the club that you have so many members willing to answer even the silliest questions. The thing is when you start a new hobby or join a new club you don't know the social norms of the club so some questions may seem to broad or won't have enough back story.

I was amazed with early responses and so joined the club as a member straight away. So thank you to all who have replied to me so far.   :cheers
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.