S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A weighty problem  (Read 577 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
A weighty problem
« on: February 24, 2022, 06:00:58 AM »

Hi,

Only 05.15hrs, and my brain hurts already.

Earlier, I was lying in bed, pondering ... as you do. Is the REVENUE WEIGHT shown on old cardboard log-books, a reference to the maximum TRAIN weight of a vehicle and trailer? Articulated lorries have different VED rates, according to what trailer the Transport Manager wants to put behind the tractor unit. In my days at DVLC, it was not unusual for a tractor unit to have it's VED changed several times a month ... probably not a clever thing to do, as you lose a month off the refund, and have to re-tax from the beginning of the current month. Just because you are paranoid, it does not mean they are not out to get you.

My first search came up with this ....

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/motclass.htm

It recounts the authors experience with being refused an MOT because his Land Rover (presumably a Series 3) was too heavy.

You'd best read it yourself, even though most of our trucks are MOT exempt. You might like to have it MOTd anyway, just for reassurance.

Included in his story is a picture of what appears to be something related to a VIN plate, showing Maximum Weights, which I can only assume refers to an S3. Note, this story is several years old

My interest, lying awake in bed in the wee hours, was about the differences between 88" and 109" trucks.  A laden 109" is a lot heavier than a laden 88", and has tyres that are 15% bigger, but they both use the same engine and transmission, wiith the only acknowledgement to the above differences being the turns per mile of the speedometer dial. Have I got that right?

Can anybody remind me what the numbers on the weight plate refer to, and what are the TPM figures shown on 88" and 109" speedos?

The tyres "turns per mile" are embossed on their sidewalls. They will differ between tyre sizes, and, I suspect manufactures.

PS ... I've forgotten why I was brooding on this subject.  :stars
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.