S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Flat spotted tyres  (Read 475 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Flat spotted tyres
« on: July 13, 2022, 05:35:39 AM »

Hi,

I've only met the following once, and that was many years ago, but maybe worth mentioning.

I had fitted a new tyre (and old tube) to a Series rim. I can't be sure what size tyre, but probably 205R80. It tried to shake the car to pieces.

I had a 602 type suspicion, so pulled the tyre off again.

Suspicion confirmed (  :-[  ) ... I had stuffed the tube into the tyre, and managed to NOT get everything lying properly inside the tyre. When inflated, a short section of the tube had remained rolled through 180* (twisted gut style).  I don't know if the twisted section inflated. It felt like it had not. Cue "Doctor Kildare" theme music.

The date of manufacture (not first in service), is embossed in "code" on the tyre wall. Twenty year old tyre?  In France, and I presume the rest of mainland Europe, it is illegal to use a tyre more that five (?) years old. Both Controle Technique (French MOT) and Monsieur Flick will check the dates on your tyres. Some years ago, an entrepreneur in the Swansea Valley was selling very meaty "part worn" tyres at £10 a time, reputed to be from Germany.

I understand that there are plans to outlaw tyres over 7 (?) years old.in the UK. Will that include the skinny spare tyres, which will never be included in the regular "Shuffle"? Or will the manufacturers just stop suppling spare wheels? Will scrapping time-expired tyres, and fitting new, become part of routine servicing?

OT. I have read that a lost ignition key can lead to an Economic Write-off.  Maybe one day, the same will apply to a puncture (change all four tyres?)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Re: Flat spotted tyres
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 06:54:33 AM »

Hi,

Some time ago, I lost the keys to my Suzuki 4x4. Long and expensive process ...

1. Obtain key blank. Memory suggests that cost £70, but don't trust my memory.

2. Get key blank cut, using data from initial sales document (or something like that). I already knew that main dealers can supply the key pattern from their archives), using the chassis number. Having a cut key means you can at least open the doors, and steer.

3. Car has to be taken to a Main Dealer, so the key can electronically introduced to the car ... but the car cannot be started. Britannia Rescue provided the logistics, invoking Homestart and a recovery truck.

4. It still cost a lot of money.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.