S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a trailer or transport for a vehicle  (Read 2788 times)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
Re: I need a trailer or transport for a vehicle
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 09:55:19 AM »

I towed a Land Rover 20 odd miles once, as said above, no limits really.

Do you need to disconnect propshafts or anything on a Discovery if towing for is that only for the auto gearbox models?

Craig.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 09:59:26 AM »

I'll stand corrected, but I don't think there is any limit on the distance you can tow on a rope here in the UK....

Distance, I'm not certain about, but I'm pretty sure motorway towing is just 'off', and to the next exit, whether it's the one you wanted or not.
I suspect it's a BIG mistake to rope-tow a broken vehicle onto a Motorway, so it's relevant that Simon's 35 miles does not include a Motorway route.

Regards.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 10:43:03 AM »

I towed a Land Rover 20 odd miles once, as said above, no limits really.

Do you need to disconnect propshafts or anything on a Discovery if towing for is that only for the auto gearbox models?

Craig.

Discovery 1 or 2, just put the transfer box into neutral. P38A put a 5amp fuse in the BECM (I think fuse 11) and that will put the TXFR box into neutral. The reason for that is that on the ZF transmissions, the oil pump is driven off the rear of the torque converter. If its not spinning, the oil is not circulating. Later models you need to be more careful of, but unlikely to tow one of those any distance anyway I would suspect.

As for towing on motorways, I wouldn't even consider it. At least no further than the next exit. I always assumed that was the rule anyway.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »

A rope tow may be hardwork unless you can run teh engine to provide for the power steering and the servo

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Simeon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3480
  • .:
  • Faster than the speed of dark
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 05:13:46 PM »

I did some searching around and I found out that i can hire a nice big new trailer for only £60.  So everything is good!

I thought about towing it with an a frame, but no mot since 09 leaves me a bit distressed.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2022, 07:55:46 PM »

Is it legal now to tow on a loose rope 35 miles?
Towing a Transit box van from Blackpool to Liverpool was my longest non stop rope tow. And I have towed various vehicles in various states of disrepair with an A-frame.
However, now the law requires both vehicles to be road legal. Or it is all four wheels off the ground.
There was no technical limit to how long you could tow for, but it was recognised that you could tow a vehicle off a Motorway with a rope but not On to it. Of course if you where stopped, I never was, you where leaving at the next exit !

mendyonofex

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 01:21:34 PM »

Although I'm new to this forum, I've had some experience with transporting cars and I'm happy to share some suggestions. First of all, to rent a trailer yourself, if you have access to a vehicle with towing capabilities. U-Haul and Budget are two popular options that could be worth considering.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2023, 05:24:01 PM »

Hi,

My longest tow (worth mentioning) was from close to St Malo in France, to the Swansea Valley, via the Chunnel, via my daughter's house in Milton Keynes, towing a 12ft caravan, in one of my S1 new chassis rebuilds. I guestimate about 600 miles.  ???

I think it took me about 12 hours. Probably only worthy of note, as I had removed the the rear prop-shaft, and both half-shafts, although only one half-shaft was broken.

I think I have already mentioned Barbara's first long tow? We were on the M4 on our way to my parent's in Croydon, in my almost brand new Moskvich van, with our almost brand Sprite Alpine 12ft caravan on the hook. As we approached the Severn Bridge, she asked if she could have a drive. So I pulled into the Aust Services, and we swapped seats. This was the first time she had pulled a trailer. At that time, she still had two usable legs ... and her mangled right arm, which had been destroyed by a doctor when she was three days old. (Correct procedure if carried out immediately after birth).

As we approached the London end of the M4, I was aware that she kept glancing at me ... I ignored her ... if she wanted to swap back, she could ask .... couldn't she?

Off the M4 at Hammersmith, into Kensington, down to Chelsea Bridge, over the Thames, into Clapham, down through Balham, Tooting and Colliers Wood, across Mitcham Common, and into Thornton Heath, parked outside my parents bungalow.

Strangely, we have never since mentioned that journey.  ??? ??? ???

At that time, she still had two usable legs, but has only had the use of one arm since the other was destroyed by a doctor when she was three days old. We have only recently learned it was the correct procedure, but should have been carried out immediately after birth, not three days later. 1942, so pre-NHS, and shortly before the Swansea Blitz

You have to be proud of the girl.  :tiphat

mendyonofex

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2023, 11:18:55 AM »

Although I'm new to this forum, I've had some experience with transporting cars and I'm happy to share some suggestions. First of all, to rent a trailer yourself, if you have access to a vehicle with towing capabilities. U-Haul and Budget are two popular options that could be worth considering.
It might be worth checking out their website or giving them a call to get an idea of the cost of transporting a car a car in your area. Another option is to rent a trailer yourself, if you have access to a vehicle with towing capabilities. U-Haul and Budget are two popular options that could be worth considering.

mefster

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 8173
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2023, 09:13:05 PM »

If you need a good trailer hire company I can recommend Fletchers in Ashton-under-Lyne.  Wrong direction I know, but I hired a trailer when I had to collect my Land Rover from Teeside and bring it back to Knutsford.  Really competitive rates and very helpful.  My brother has used them since as well.

Mycroft

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2023, 09:18:25 PM »

As the initial query was in July 2022, I'm guessing (hoping!) that they've probably found a solution by now  ???
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.