S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Completely OT - Spiders.....  (Read 1551 times)

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
Re: Completely OT - Spiders.....
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »

They do have some sticking power. I tried blasting them off whilst pressure washing my Mondeo, but to no avail.
Recently I stopped at the 'lights on the lane near to me and a small bird landed on the passenger mirror. It stayed on for quite a while whilst pulling away.
Probably not looking at itself, more trying to get at the spiders behind the glass ?
I do believe Horse Chestnut's are recommended to keep spiders out of your house. You could try building a little Horse Chesnutt cairn on your wingtop ! 🤔
And you know what ? I just found out it is a CHEST Nutt, not Chesnut. Well you live and learn ! Sometimes  :-\

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 02:43:46 PM »

Overdrive of course.  Just under 4,000 rpm.I estimate. I try to clear the cobwebs out of the engine with the occasional Italian tune up.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1943
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 10:53:07 PM »

If you research the topic, of spider webs 'use and abuse', (I just made that phrase up) you will find that new webs are made overnight, possibly in as little as an hour. This means that just because you removed them yesterday doesn't mean that new webs won't be back today.

From reading some forum posts on a canal boat forum, possibly a decade age, I seem to recall that some naturally occurring vegetation seemed to discourage spiders (or perhaps discourage their prey). I cannot clearly recall the name, perhaps it was horse chestnuts?

There are some owners of narrow boats on here, perhaps they have the 'knowledge'?

Regards.

They live in the mushroom vents on my narrow boat. And usually drop down out of them when you turn the lights off. I seem to remember the tale about conkers keeping them away, I think you may be better off throwing the conkers at them.

My 90 is covered in cobwebs at the moment, probably cos it hasn't moved in a few weeks as with all the dry weather the S2 is currently the daily driver with the top off. Can't say I've noticed any infestations in the S2, maybe they can'tcope with the rattles and bangs ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 05:23:42 AM »

Hi, 

As a child, Barbara had to be restrained from "baling out" of her father's Humber ... there was a spider walking up the back of the driver's seat. I doubt that she would act any differently today.

My son, in Oz, found a spider occupying the dashboard of his car, so he squirted it with aerosol insecticide. The spider responded by jumping at his face. A major "fire fight" ensued, but eventually the spider "popped it's clogs". My son declared that if it happened again, the spider could have the car. Does anybody know how many people, in Oz, die each year, due to spider bites.

The scariest beastie I ever met was a water snake, (identified by our snake expert), who then used a brush to hold it down ... and then started screaming for somebody to fetch him a spade ... when the snake revealed it was actually a somewhat annoyed cobra. Once neutralised, the snake was measured ... five feet.

The biggest cobra (until then?) in Malaya, (16 feet), was found in one of our store rooms, but that was before I arrived, so I don't have the details.

I had to deal with a 6" centipede in our living room, on Penang. It was like a length of motor-cycle chain, on legs. I held it down with the kitchen mop. and poured insecticide over it. 

I prefer not to kill things, but .... cockroaches have horribleness in Spades. Apparently, a cockroach fell out of somebody's luggage, at London Airport. Somebody stamped on it. Loud crunch ... but it still kept walking ... resulting in mass panic.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 10:48:42 AM »

During the construction of my post yesterday I came across a reference to 'Spiderex'.
Today I set some time to investigate further.
Apparently it is widely used in the security industry, where spiders and their webs significantly degrade the performance of CCTV cameras.
However, also note the positive references from people who have a phobia about spiders in the home.

Regards.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.