S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New S2 purchase  (Read 1040 times)

upnorth

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7850
  • .:
New S2 purchase
« on: August 03, 2022, 10:34:16 PM »

I recently bought this, its previous owner used it and then it was garaged for seven years, the owner before that left it in a shed for ten years, prior to that he used it as transport on an Island at a  holiday home. I will have a lot of questions as to the originality of parts on it, from what I can see the engine and radiator have 1961 numbers. I cant see the gearbox number, the chassis number is not evident as it seems to have been patched where it should be.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: New S2 purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 10:38:26 PM »

Nice find ... that should keep you busy for a while.

:cheers
Who's a then ?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:44:21 PM »

DVLA records show its date of first registration is June 1961 and the tax was due 1/12/96. Best get it SORN'd..
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 11:43:02 PM »

The chassis number should also be on the plate above the gearbox tunnel, unless that's what you're saying has been patched. A visible chassis number on the dumb irons seems to be a rare thing.  :RHD
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 06:32:03 AM »

It's great that Series 2's keep popping up like this.... Good luck with the rebuild

upnorth

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7850
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I am waiting for log book to come back, I cant understand why previous owner never put it on sorn .Chassis number is 141103512, engine number is 151124422, I believe the registration originates from Reading and it was on a small Island in Orkney for years before the person I got it of bought it. As vehicles don't need an mot if used as an Island vehicle I am pleasantly surprised with overall condition. N/S bulkhead corner needs a repair as does that footwell, the btm of the crossmember is non existent and elsewhere the chassis needs a couple of repairs, it has a good covering of rust so wont know the overall condition until further inspection.
Not looked for any numbers on axles yet, but it looks like the nose on the diffs have bolts which I have not seen before, distributer has screw in wire connections and the regulator/fuse box are mounted on a plate stood off from bulkhead, not sure if any of these things are age related bearing in mind things could have been replaced over the years.
Thanks Richard.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:22:44 AM »

Looks a great find.

My series one was the same, off the road since 1991 and never declared as SORN.
I got a new V5 into my name but still couldn't declare SORN on the website so I then visited a post office to change the tax class from PLG to historic. Once that was done the lady in the post office said, I'll tax it for a year for you as you don't need an MOT.
I waited for another new V5 to arrive and declared it SORN then.

Was kind of concerning that I could have got the engine running and legally gone out for a drive. The chassis was past it's prime to say the least...

Craig.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 11:27:27 AM »

DVLA records show its date of first registration is June 1961 and the tax was due 1/12/96. Best get it SORN'd..

The SORN system didn't start until 1st Jan 1998, so wasn't applicable when yours was taken off the road as it only applies to vehicles taxed/licenced after that date.

However, I think it does apply when there's a change of owner, so you will now need to SORN it    :tiphat
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 12:25:57 PM »

You may be right about the SORN  :stars

My Brambles - 1959 diesel was taken off the road way before 1998.
Around 2010 I acquired it and registered the vehicle in my name and got a new V5C.

I've not SORN'd it, and not been called up before the beaks ???

:RHD

Ian Cunnington

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7462
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 12:28:04 PM »

I had been struggling with DVLA for nearly a year to get a V5 for the car I own, eventually when I did get one (I SORN'd it the week after I got the V5) they chased me up within two weeks with the standardised threatening letter about tax or SORN :-)

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 12:25:47 AM »

Looks a great find.

My series one was the same, off the road since 1991 and never declared as SORN.
I got a new V5 into my name but still couldn't declare SORN on the website so I then visited a post office to change the tax class from PLG to historic. Once that was done the lady in the post office said, I'll tax it for a year for you as you don't need an MOT.
I waited for another new V5 to arrive and declared it SORN then.

Was kind of concerning that I could have got the engine running and legally gone out for a drive. The chassis was past it's prime to say the least...

Craig.

Actually you couldn't. If the vehicle is not roadworthy, it's still illegal to use it on a public road, MoT'd or not.  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.