S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Series 1, 2 or 3  (Read 3177 times)

Bigdog1967

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 8045
  • .:
Series 1, 2 or 3
« on: October 01, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »

Just wondering are series 3 Land Rover as collectible or desirable  as series 1 and 2, i am just curious on everyone’s thoughts, many thanks

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: Series 1, 2 or 3
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 06:02:16 PM »

They're starting to become more collectible. As Series 1and 2 prices increase the cheaper 3's are becoming more desirable. LRO have a list of prices of all Land Rover models in the magazine each month.

Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »

Series 3s are definately in the 'collectible' category now ( read stupidly expensive)..
We used to just cut up S3s with no mercy to yield parts for 2a s etc.. you could pick up cheap tatty/wrecked S3s for pennies, and we figured they were never going to be tax free 'Historic' anyway so use 'em as parts donors etc etc..
Clearly you wouldn't be doing that nowadays, and I can think of a few that I know of that have been brought back to life from a state we'd have considered not worth it.
I hate to think about the saveable motors we just chopped up back then  :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 11:19:33 AM »

Hi,

I'm guessing that Rovers intended the S2 to be more desirable than the S1, and similarly with the S3 after the S2.

Personally, I have never been a big fan of the 80", as I found the vertic

al movement of my feet to be uncomfortable. I want more legroom for the driver.

My own preference would be a S1 (88") body, rebuilt onto an S3 running. chassis (steering lock, all syncro gearbox, and presumably easier new spares). I don't like the "barrel sides" on the S2 and S3. On the other hand, I have always found P1 engines to be unnaturally complicated. (I believe the inlet over exhaust valve layout was to enable the fitting of bigger valves, or maybe it just sounds "more efficient". ???

My 1953 (if I remember correctly) Rover 60 had 1997cc P1 engine, claimed to develop just short of 60BHP. I drove it from the dealers to the nearest petrol station, and added a gallon of petrol. I ran out of fuel 10 miles later.

Come back little Minivan ... all is foregiven.

I'm feeling stirrings in my lions. Lets get the Freelander MOT'd, then persuade Barbara to let me swap it for an S2 project.

Has anyone ever converted an S2 into a WAV?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »

Something wrong with a 2l IOE engine that only did 10 miles on a gallon of fuel.  I have run in the past2 80"s with that engine - one as a daily driver for nearly15 years and the averaged 30 mpg

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 11:30:46 AM »

This is the Series 2 Forum  :snowman-1
Who's a then ?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 11:45:58 AM »

I have a 58 S2 that should have that engine in it.  I am rebuilding one over the winter so that it will be right for when it is 65.  I am hoping to get the high 20s in fuel consumption

Peter

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 01:14:22 PM »

The fact is now anything pre dating the "new Defender" is collectible/desirable. Try flinging an unmolested original civilian 90...

Personally I like S3's and currently have two, an 82 Lightweight and an 83 109" project, both former Parachute Regiment vehicles.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »

Hi,

I can see nothing wrong with an S3, apart from the Ideal Home Exibition padded dash, and the Ford Thames steering wheel. The steering lock is a useful device, but it would be useful if the diesel kill button/cable could be utilised as a choke cable. The clutch hydraulic reservoir finds favour (within limits) ... is there any way the same bracketry could be used for the brake pedal on a SWB (3/4" dia).

I guess I could learn to live with an all synchro gearbox.

Last time I looked (a long time ago) Halfords were listing some S3 consumables.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 09:01:07 AM »

It is odd how owners of earlier models look down on the series III's as something inferior, I love them.

They are great things and 99% the same as our series II's. The changes were pretty cosmetic with the dash being a bit plusher and far simpler door hinges.

I own a series one (In bits) and a IIA but I would love a series III to complete the set. For me I'd have to get an 88" series III Station wagon with the petrol 2286 engine. I have a thing for station wagons, both my 1 and 2A are wagons so an 88" series III would be perfect.

It is pretty hard to find one though that hasn't been cut about, beaten to death off road or had that *&%^$ awful tread plate stuck all over it! They are all now tax and MOT exempt as well so just as desirable as an earlier model in terms of running costs.

If you get the chance to buy a decent one, I wouldn't hesitate, the prices of them will only increase as time goes on.

Craig.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 09:32:43 AM »

I must admit one of the best Land Rovers I ever owned was a 1980 Series 3 88" Station wagon with a 5 bearing Diesel engine . I fitted an Overdrive and it would sit happily at 70 mph on the motorway & did about 30mpg easily .  It was an 8 month old Ex Land Rover company vehicle which I bought when they had a sale by Tender of about 50 vehicles & it was open to Rover Group employees and Association of Rover Clubs members as well. 

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 11:25:19 AM »

I've had all three Series types at one time or another apart from the FC and liked them all for quite different reasons.

My only reason for being not so keen on the much later models is a tendency for the chassis etc to rust much faster than the earlier models as the steel quality was not the same otherwise there isn't anything not to like.

As for the early models ( 80" ) foot pedals and leg action isn't as nice as on 86" and later models.

These days the 3 is mosre practical due to spares availability I reckon and the lower prices have to be a bonus too  :tiphat

Edit :  I guess the above doesn't hold so true these days especially since the common use of galv chassis etc but was a consideration some years back  :tiphat

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 01:15:35 PM »

My only reason for being not so keen on the much later models is a tendency for the chassis etc to rust much faster than the earlier models as the steel quality was not the same otherwise there isn't anything not to like.

As for the early models ( 80" ) foot pedals and leg action isn't as nice as on 86" and later models.

Hi,

Way back when I was reading MOTOR SPORT magazine in Croydon General Hospital (fractured lower epithinis (sp?) of left femur), Billl Boddy started a discussion on corrosion being caused the new fangled use of POSITIVE EARTH causing the chassis/body being electo-plated onto the tarmac. Steel boats use a sacrificial zinc anode to prevent this. We galvanize our chassis.

I found the pedals on 80" trucks move up and down, rather than back and fore. Is the "cabin" of an 80" shorter than an 86"/88"? I think the tub is a lot shorter.

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 03:56:56 PM »

Agree 3's are definitely getting more expensive - I like all series land rovers and have a 2B and a 3.

Have a sort of theory that a lot of people really want the cars they couldn't have but dreamed of when younger, so the oldest classics seem to get less desirable and more modern becomes more desirable to a point. No idea if it's really true but seems to explain how things come into and out of fashion.

JonB

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7143
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 05:04:45 PM »

I absolutely think this.

Pre-war cars have little value now unless there is some special provenance or the like, while ‘80s fords and others can make crazy money.

My S2 is a decade older than me, so not sure what that suggests 😎
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.