S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Series LR in a film.  (Read 639 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
OT - Series LR in a film.
« on: December 16, 2022, 04:54:38 PM »

I watched a rather good exciting film on "Netflix" last night.

"The Siege of Jadotville" is based on the true story of a contingent of Irish troops sent to Katanga province in the Congo, as part of a UN peace-keeping force.  It was about the time there was civil war in the Congo, tension between the super-powers (nothing new there!), and the death of Dag Hammarskjold, the UN General Secretary of the UN.

Maybe there are forum members who remember those times, as I do.

Lots of Series 2/2A's and Series 1's in the film, so a good watch on these freezing winter nights....... 

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: OT - Series LR in a film.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 09:27:12 PM »

.....,the Series 1 that shouldn't have been in Ice Cold in Alex?
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 09:34:26 PM »

... and the Morris Minor

:xtree
Who's a then ?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 10:06:21 PM »

.......and the Land Rover and Fordson Major tractor that shouldn't have been in The Dambusters.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 11:34:41 AM »

I watched a rather good exciting film on "Netflix" last night.

"The Siege of Jadotville" is based on the true story of a contingent of Irish troops sent to Katanga province in the Congo, as part of a UN peace-keeping force.  It was about the time there was civil war in the Congo, tension between the super-powers (nothing new there!), and the death of Dag Hammarskjold, the UN General Secretary of the UN.

Maybe there are forum members who remember those times, as I do.

Lots of Series 2/2A's and Series 1's in the film, so a good watch on these freezing winter nights.......

OT but a relative of my mothers was part of Hammarskjolds security team, killed in the plane crash. Persistent rumours that it was not an accident but who knows. Bullet holes in the wreckage were supposedly due to the security teams guns "cooking off".   ???   The film is not 100% accurate, as you might expect, but well done to the Irish Army Infantry for their stout and heavily outnumbered defence. The Politicians do not come off well, the soldiers involved did not get the recognition they deserved until many years later. ( & coincidentally, an Irish UN soldier was killed last week in Lebanon, another seriously injured...)
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »

OT but a relative of my mothers was part of Hammarskjolds security team, killed in the plane crash. Persistent rumours that it was not an accident but who knows. Bullet holes in the wreckage were supposedly due to the security teams guns "cooking off".   ???   The film is not 100% accurate, as you might expect, but well done to the Irish Army Infantry for their stout and heavily outnumbered defence. The Politicians do not come off well, the soldiers involved did not get the recognition they deserved until many years later. ( & coincidentally, an Irish UN soldier was killed last week in Lebanon, another seriously injured...)

Yes - there was just a suggestion in the film that Hammarskjold's plane was shot down.

The Irish Army Infantry had a "Yorke's Drift" moment there I think.  I never knew about the incident at all, think it was very much "hushed up" at the time.  That Unit's courage & resourcefulness were not recognised until 2005, nearly 50 years after
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.